2018 NSD Official Thread

TheReal_jayD

9 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I like the speed and upside of a Faison-Ejiya-Ozougwu starting LB corps. Hopefully Faison comes in and competes with Garner. 

If you're disappointed in Garner, you'll be disappointed in ANY MLB in this scheme if the Nose & 3-tech cannot draw at least 1 double-team between them... as our guys had difficulty doing last year.    Need a guy like English (a healthy, as-advertised, English) to chew up those blocks so those guards/Centers are not releasing to pickup the MLB.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If you're disappointed in Garner, you'll be disappointed in ANY MLB in this scheme if the Nose & 3-tech cannot draw at least 1 double-team between them... as our guys had difficulty doing last year.    Need a guy like English (a healthy, as-advertised, English) to chew up those blocks so those guards/Centers are not releasing to pickup the MLB.

I'm just saying he fits the Fred Scott mold more than the Zach Orr/Craig Robertson mold IMO. Those guys were big AND fast, so if at least they whiffed or got blocked they had the speed to catch up on the back end. Garner and Scott are big. You get by them, there's no chance.

• Lovely Take 2

23 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I'm just saying he fits the Fred Scott mold more than the Zach Orr/Craig Robertson mold IMO. Those guys were big AND fast, so if at least they whiffed or got blocked they had the speed to catch up on the back end. Garner and Scott are big. You get by them, there's no chance.

Those two are all-time greats!   High hopes for Garner & Faison, and whoever else plays MLB here, but it's almost certain failure if they're going to be held to Orr/Robertson standards.

• Lovely Take 1

• Harry featured this topic
8 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Just for me to know: Who are we still waiting on?

If I got this correct it is:

- Morris

-Carrol

-Fennegan

- Redfearn

Most worried about Morris.

And I guess Bagnell will not sign due to PWO status.

Fennegan may "sign" something, but it won't be official since he's not taking a 2018 scholarship.  Same with any PWO commit.   I think it's been rumored that Redfearn is going to Blueshirt?  If so, he'll likely "sign" something as well, but it wont be official.
Still not 100% sure what's going on with Carroll.  I hope he signs, but I suppose we'll see.

• Lovely Take 1

54 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is deadly accurate. Good interior linemen make average LB's look good and good LB's look great. We have to have guys inside that demand double teams. 

Zach Orr was a really good LB, but Richard Abbe made him look and play like an all time great. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

This is deadly accurate. Good interior linemen make average LB's look good and good LB's look great. We have to have guys inside that demand double teams. 

Interior DL help, but I wouldn't say they make the LB better just allow them to do their job more efficiently.  There were plenty of times last year when LB's missed routine tackles that had nothing to do with DL.  LB will always need to be able to shed blockers and make tackles at the point of attack.  That'll never change until the game of football quits running the ball and they turn it into 7 on 7. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Interior DL help, but I wouldn't say they make the LB better just allow them to do their job more efficiently.  There were plenty of times last year when LB's missed routine tackles that had nothing to do with DL.  LB will always need to be able to shed blockers and make tackles at the point of attack.  That'll never change until the game of football quits running the ball and they turn it into 7 on 7. 

No doubt. I agree 100%. But having those better linemen in front of you let's LB play more freely and aren't second guessing or hesitating due to having to worry about 300 pounders running at them. It frees them up and let's them play faster mentally and physically. 

*We did have guys whiff, often times right in the hole. But we did have guys whiff because the change of trajectory due to having to maneuver themselves around linemen. We need some linemen in this class. Some guys that the team and coaches can feel confident about. I think that needs to be a surprise get today and hopefully one from the JUCO ranks that will be ready to come in and help English, TJ, and Young out in the middle. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

That puts @BillySee58 on the clock for his grading report on the class.

A+ - (1) Reggie Williams
A - (3) Keyvon Davis, Jyaire Shorter, Alex Morris
B+ - (1) Jaxon Gibbs
B - (8) Austin Ogunmakin, Jason Bean, Deandre Torrey, Darrian McMillan, Derrick Shaw, Thomas Preston III, Tim Faison, Cade Fennegan
C+ - (1) Jordan Hunt
C - (8) Larry Nixon, Kason Martin, Dayton Leblanc, Keelan Crosby, Cole Brown, Josh Sa'afi, Jordan Redfearn, Daizion Carroll

13/22 (59%) are "B" or higher 

12/19 (63%) are "B" or higher, if you take out Fennegan, Carroll, and Redfearn who were not announced today.

That's about on par with Littrell's first two class. Just like last year's class, it picked up after the season started.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, oldguystudent said:

I think I may have misunderstood after seeing all the names from BillySee.  

Is national signing day like the deadline to sign?  Have several others signed already? 

Early signing period in December now for both high school and transfers (previously just transfers i.e. JUCOs). Most of our guys signed then. Nationwide I'd say about 60-70% of signees signed then

13 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

A+ - (1) Reggie Williams
A - (3) Keyvon Davis, Jyaire Shorter, Alex Morris
B+ - (1) Jaxon Gibbs
B - (8) Austin Ogunmakin, Jason Bean, Deandre Torrey, Darrian McMillan, Derrick Shaw, Thomas Preston III, Tim Faison, Cade Fennegan
C+ - (1) Jordan Hunt
C - (8) Larry Nixon, Kason Martin, Dayton Leblanc, Keelan Crosby, Cole Brown, Josh Sa'afi, Jordan Redfearn, Daizion Carroll

13/22 (59%) are "B" or higher 

12/19 (63%) are "B" or higher, if you take out Fennegan, Carroll, and Redfearn who were not announced today.

That's about on par with Littrell's first two class. Just like last year's class, it picked up after the season started.

Problem here, is that if you're going to take out Fennegan/Carroll/Redfearn, you have to add last year's blueshirts that count on this class... which would no-doubt drag it way down.

8 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I think I may have misunderstood after seeing all the names from BillySee.  

Is national signing day like the deadline to sign?  Have several others signed already? 

Today is the first day of the normal signing period.  I believe the current signing period runs through the beginning of April.