Rice (2/3/18)

CMJ

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

It is not just students, i got up at half time to get a drink and when i cam back so older guy was sitting in my seat.

After watching game last night i have decided the NCAA has ruined basketball.  The fouls that are called now are just pathetic.  Rice got them and we got them. NCAA might as well put skirts on the players and not keep score and hand out participation trophies at the end of the season.

I wante to watch a basketball game and not the guys in the zebra suits.

You watch any NBA ball?  Much worse than college ball.  Hardly BB these days. The refs don't call fouls on start players, players constantly carry the ball and take multiple steps to the basket, three second rule might as well be done away with...just terrible BB these days...and refs who definitely think people show up or tune in to watch them be part of the show.  Ridiculous excuse for BB. I'll take the NCAA issues (I do agree with your NCAA ref thoughts by the way) over the pitiful excuse the NBA puts out these days.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

Never have had an interest in pro basketball but I know what you are saying.  I have seen some lay ups and dunks that looked like they take 3 steps to get to the basket.  I know Cuban said the NCAA players are not prepared for the NBA.  The NCAA should not be the farm system for the NBA and should not change the game to match the NBA.   

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2018 at 7:09 PM, GrandGreen said:

It appears it doesn't matter who NT plays in conference, it is going to be close.   Hope that holds true as the schedule is about to get a lot tougher. 

One of Holstons' best games.  

21 hours ago, Shark84 said:

UNT person said Wren did away with a designated student section. Basically students sit where they want. Don't understand the logic behind it.

I emailed athletics marketing. Student section is the same. WB or anyone else hasn't made changes. Students just haven't been there. Kind of lost an identity. I would prominently mark the section and ask security to enforce it.

• Lovely Take 1

25 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

I emailed athletics marketing. Student section is the same. WB or anyone else hasn't made changes. Students just haven't been there. Kind of lost an identity. I would prominently mark the section and ask security to enforce it.

Even Mccasland made a comment about it in the post game. Mentioned that it's a part of the student experience

On 2/3/2018 at 7:03 PM, oldguystudent said:

You guys are welcome.  I was watching on ESPN3 and the Mean Green kept falling behind.  I know how this works.  I can't witness wins.  So I turned it off, knowing that if I wasn't watching, they would come back for the victory. 

Yeah please don't watch anymore games the rest of the season haha. 

On 2/3/2018 at 9:57 PM, Shark84 said:

UNT person said Wren did away with a designated student section. Basically students sit where they want. Don't understand the logic behind it.

Did you hear this or was this passed along to you?  Doesn't sound like something Baker would approve.

On 2/4/2018 at 7:18 PM, meangreenJW said:

Sorry...no! It was the Rasin’ Canes section last year and was near the visitor bench. There was a sign designating it as the student section. There is NO designated student section this season. But, there definitely needs to be one. Students are scattered out all over the Super Pit which works to mute their significance. You get 209-300 students sitting near the opposing team bench area and they can really help the “home court advantage”. Right now pretty much zero help as their voices are scattered. In addition, season ticket buyers and single game ticket buyers are constantly having to ask students to move out of their assigned and paid for seats.

• Upvote 2

On 2/3/2018 at 7:03 PM, oldguystudent said:

You guys are welcome.  I was watching on ESPN3 and the Mean Green kept falling behind.  I know how this works.  I can't witness wins.  So I turned it off, knowing that if I wasn't watching, they would come back for the victory. 

I think we should set up a "Go Fund Me" account and raise enough money to pay you to stay away from the Super Pit.  At the same time, we send a virus to your computer from the beginning of the UNT game to the end.  At that time, the virus self evaporates and your system is back in your hands.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Haha 2

On 2/5/2018 at 7:49 PM, KRAM1 said:

Sorry...no! It was the Rasin’ Canes section last year and was near the visitor bench. There was a sign designating it as the student section. There is NO designated student section this season. But, there definitely needs to be one. Students are scattered out all over the Super Pit which works to mute their significance. You get 209-300 students sitting near the opposing team bench area and they can really help the “home court advantage”. Right now pretty much zero help as their voices are scattered. In addition, season ticket buyers and single game ticket buyers are constantly having to ask students to move out of their assigned and paid for seats.

I’m guessing there’s still a student section, but no enforcement of it since there are hardly any students or fans at the games. 

4 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I’m guessing there’s still a student section, but no enforcement of it since there are hardly any students or fans at the games. 

Not true on both counts. There is no designated student section. You can see them sitting in groups throughout the Super Pit, and department officials confirmed that there was no designated student section.

And, to your “hardly any students or fans attend the games” not so true either. The last few home games saw  very nice attendance at each of the three men’s exciting wins. Attendance is growing both with fans and with students....just not as rapidly or in the numbers this team deserves. I would estimate 300-400 students around the Super Pit consistently. And, while way too small in total number would be a decent showing and a loud section if sitting together.

I assume you are coming to all the games?

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Not true on both counts. There is no designated student section. You can see them sitting in groups throughout the Super Pit, and department officials confirmed that there was no designated student section.

And, to your “hardly any students or fans attend the games” not so true either. The last few home games saw  very nice attendance at each of the three men’s exciting wins. Attendance is growing both with fans and with students....just not as rapidly or in the numbers this team deserves. I would estimate 300-400 students around the Super Pit consistently. And, while way too small in total number would be a decent showing and a loud section if sitting together.

I assume you are coming to all the games?

So our athletic director and website are wrong? http://www.meangreensports.com/tickets/mensbasketball.html

Lets not point to the last few homes games to discount the last 4 seasons of an empty Super Pit. And since you like to make things personal; I'm going to try to make it to a game in Denton and definitely will be in Frisco for a game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

38 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

So our athletic director and website are wrong? http://www.meangreensports.com/tickets/mensbasketball.html

Lets not point to the last few homes games to discount the last 4 seasons of an empty Super Pit. And since you like to make things personal; I'm going to try to make it to a game in Denton and definitely will be in Frisco for a game. 

1. Yes, the website is incorrect, and

2. You would know that had you attended any games as you would know where they sit and how many students were now coming. And you would know that today’s team and atmosphere is totally different than 3-4 years ago, but sure, keep going on outdated Info you pick up from who knows where since you seem to think everything is just like it was 3-4 years ago. News flash for you...Benford is gone and we have a new coach and staff.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

1. Yes, the website is incorrect, and

2. You would know that had you attended any games as you would know where they sit and how many students were now coming. And you would know that today’s team and atmosphere is totally different than 3-4 years ago, but sure, keep going on outdated Info you pick up from who knows where since you seem to think everything is just like it was 3-4 years ago. News flash for you...Benford is gone and we have a new coach and staff.

Why are you taking this so personally? I'm simply saying why the seating arrangements probably haven't been enforced very much. I've seen a lot of the crowds this year online and in pictures and most of them have been SPARSE...BUTTT I'm sure if things continue to improve you'll see a better effort to corral the students into their sections. 

20 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Why are you taking this so personally? I'm simply saying why the seating arrangements probably haven't been enforced very much. I've seen a lot of the crowds this year online and in pictures and most of them have been SPARSE...BUTTT I'm sure if things continue to improve you'll see a better effort to corral the students into their sections. 

Nothing personal about it. You are talking about something you admit to having zero direct contact with. I am merely pointing out the errors in your posts and suggested you might find a different situation if you were attending games. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Not my intention.

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

Nothing personal about it. You are talking about something you admit to having zero direct contact with. I am merely pointing out the errors in your posts and suggested you might find a different situation if you were attending games. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Not my intention.

I’m simply referencing what our athletic director told another poster and what the website says. If a conversation you had with some staffer means more to you then so be it. Hell, you might be right. Im just betting they decided to not really enforce the student section until we consistently have good crowds. 

No feelings hurt. Your passive aggressive attempts on calling people out for not being good enough fans have always amused me. 

• Upvote 1

While i have no idea as to whether or not there is a student section, i can say if there is, it is not enforced.  We have seats in a section away from what used to be the student section and there is always a group of students that sit in front of us that are extremely loud and crude.  While this doesn't bother me one bit, it is not the area that i want my two small children around, thus we tend to sit in other places around the pit.  

They need to get the students back in a designated area so they can all be extremely loud and crude together and directed at the opponents bench.