'18 Alex Morris ATH (ATASCOCITA)

TheReal_jayD

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

According to 24/7 we have 5 Safety’s.. 4 of them may not even play there, Williams seems to be the most likely to stick at S. @GMG24 has said Gibbs could end up on offense, Davis is a OLB (no idea if this a Jack or Rover spot) and Morris has said he is a OLB as well. Then we have to accouna for Crosby as well.

Id love to see Williams as FS, Gibbs at the SS because he can play the run and pass, Davis at the Rover because he has solid size, with Crosby at CB

This is a good approach. S is the most versatile position on defense given the typical size of most safeties. The big ones can play LB. The quicker and more fluid one's can move down into nickel and even corner if need be. The one's with good football IQ, hands, and fluid hips can be flipped over to WR. There is nothing wrong with this approach whatsoever. I praise the staff for what they are doing here. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

According to 24/7 we have 5 Safety’s.. 4 of them may not even play there, Williams seems to be the most likely to stick at S. @GMG24 has said Gibbs could end up on offense, Davis is a OLB (no idea if this a Jack or Rover spot) and Morris has said he is a OLB as well. Then we have to accouna for Crosby as well.

Id love to see Williams as FS, Gibbs at the SS because he can play the run and pass, Davis at the Rover because he has solid size, with Crosby at CB

Williams is definitely a Safety.   Davis is certainly not a Jack.  He may be a rover, which, if they want to call that a "LB", whatever, he's still going to be in coverage quite a bit.    Gibbs may play CB.   Morris' twitter profile says he plays "Safety at the University of North Texas".  You gonna call him a liar?   I dunno about Crosby.  He played QB at Anna, so they may stick him at WR?   My guess would be Morris/Williams as Safeties, Gibbs at CB, Davis at the Rover spot.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Williams is definitely a Safety.   Davis is certainly not a Jack.  He may be a rover, which, if they want to call that a "LB", whatever, he's still going to be in coverage quite a bit.    Gibbs may play CB.   Morris' twitter profile says he plays "Safety at the University of North Texas".  You gonna call him a liar?   I dunno about Crosby.  He played QB at Anna, so they may stick him at WR?   My guess would be Morris/Williams as Safeties, Gibbs at CB, Davis at the Rover spot.

I think an interesting to watch is that Rover spot.. T.Davis is lighter than K.Davis so maybe they are trying to push K.Davis (since he is at 200 lb, I believe) to an MLB spot similar to EJ/BG? Gibbs I would love to have at CB because of his height, but we saw how McClain struggled in Man to Man at times and I believe that SS spot is more of a coverage role usually vs TEs, and Gibbs also has solid tackling ability (believe he had some crazy tackles # that @GMG24 said was like 160?) 

If Gibbs did end up at CB, Morris would be another solid CB/SS combo because he has solid hands (his WR tape) and the staff is looking at him (according to Morris) as an OLB. Either way the Rover spot is a real place of interest with both Davis’ and Morris potentially.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is a good approach. S is the most versatile position on defense given the typical size of most safeties. The big ones can play LB. The quicker and more fluid one's can move down into nickel and even corner if need be. The one's with good football IQ, hands, and fluid hips can be flipped over to WR. There is nothing wrong with this approach whatsoever. I praise the staff for what they are doing here. 

The question is going to be, can they get enough weight on to the Safety’s turned LB? 

K. Davis I believe was listed at 200 lb on his signing tweet, which I would assume is as heavy or heavier than T. Davis. Morris is listed at 188 on 24/7 so hopefully he can be at 200 after summer workouts/leading into fall camp. 

This defense is in need of gaining a healthy amount of weight.

• Upvote 1

My take FWIW this is a good spot to be in, get guys who project at multiple spots then see where they fit best in campus.  If they don't work out where you think, you've got some more options. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

14 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Vito just wrote that Morris said he will be staying at Safety now, instead of the Rivals article that said he would be an LB... 

Maybe they're thinking about putting him in the slot early on (situational) and then eventually move him to full S?

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

Maybe they're thinking about putting him in the slot early on (situational) and then eventually move him to full S?

Who knows. 

I personally would like to see Gibbs at CB because of his size and willingness to tackle, K. Davis at Rover because of his size and physicality, Morris at SS because of his ability to play the front 7 in HS and his covering ability and Williams at FS because of his size and coverage skills.

The question is then, what happens to T. Davis? K. Davis could be a nice replacement for EJ but we are asking him to put on 20-30 LBs in the next year if he RS.

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Who knows. 

I personally would like to see Gibbs at CB because of his size and willingness to tackle, K. Davis at Rover because of his size and physicality, Morris at SS because of his ability to play the front 7 in HS and his covering ability and Williams at FS because of his size and coverage skills.

The question is then, what happens to T. Davis? K. Davis could be a nice replacement for EJ but we are asking him to put on 20-30 LBs in the next year if he RS.

Just curious, are you a coach or have that in your background?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I didn't want the question to come across in a negative manner, but you had specific things you would like to see and I was curious if you had a background in the sport beyond being a fan/spectator.  Or maybe  you have some specific connections to the program that would help mold your comments. 

It is obvious to me that this coaching staff is going to recruit players that fit a certain profile and not always what we see as fans is what the coaches see.

Again, I didn't want it to come across negatively.  I was honestly curious.

• Upvote 1