DRC: Dates set for re-vote on UNT student athletic fee increase

Brett Vito

I think this election will tell us a lot about the value of athletics to the UNT student body.

Frankly, I will be shocked if this passes...I'll still never understand how UTSA and Texas State can charge the most allowed under state law for athletics and we cannot unless the student body votes for it. It makes zero sense to me--unless its because the leadership of theses schools is making the calls on how the fee gets implemented. If its this, everyone on this site ought to question the true direction of what they are supporting. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I think this election will tell us a lot about the value of athletics to the UNT student body.

Frankly, I will be shocked if this passes...I'll still never understand how UTSA and Texas State can charge the most allowed under state law for athletics and we cannot unless the student body votes for it. It makes zero sense to me--unless its because the leadership of theses schools is making the calls on how the fee gets implemented. If its this, everyone on this site ought to question the true direction of what they are supporting. 

Question - does it have to be voted on? Was it voted on at the other two schools?

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Question - does it have to be voted on? Was it voted on at the other two schools?

It doesn't sound like it was. It was just started that way from the beginning of its inception versus ours which is allowed to increase by 10% a year, but sunsets at the time the stadium is paid for...At one point, while UTSA and TX State, as well as Lamar IIRC, were charging the maximum of $20 per semester hour for an athletics fee, we were charging something like a third or a quarter of that fee. I don't think the gap is that big anymore, but it tells you a lot about the situation here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Wait....Who considers Texas State and UTSA peers? 

Texas State is only considered a "peer" when we're asking the students to pay an additional $3.5million. 
"Hey, it could be more... look at what 'our peer' Texas State is charging!!!!  OK, now that we got your money; Texas State is obviously NOT 'our peer'."

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I don't think it's CANNOT. 
I really hope it's WILL NOT.   
Just because those two doofus schools charge students out the rear doesn't mean we should too.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I'd have every student athlete vote, just to try and help.  

What do we have at least 250 student athletes? Tell their friends in campus to vote for it.  Tell Frats or Sororities you'll support their org if they vote yes.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps student support, or lack there of, is a reflection of an athletic program that ranks at the bottom on CUSA in alumni giving and football season ticket sales. Putting us in the same boat with Texas State and UTSA is appropriate as I believe we lag behind both of them in these two areas.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Actually, it's worse.   The APATHETIC Crowd is still the overwhelming majority.

This is a more accurate description in my experience.  In my first semester at UNT in the fall of 2008, I walked into Cool Beans, ordered a Schlitz, and asked the bartender something about the upcoming game that weekend.  Her response was something along the lines of, "I don't know.  We don't much pay attention to that here." 

The Schlitz was, like many residents and students in Denton, cold and cheap. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

This is a more accurate description in my experience.  In my first semester at UNT in the fall of 2008, I walked into Cool Beans, ordered a Schlitz, and asked the bartender something about the upcoming game that weekend.  Her response was something along the lines of, "I don't know.  We don't much pay attention to that here." 

The Schlitz was, like many residents and students in Denton, cold and cheap. 

You drank Shlitz!?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

It doesn't sound like it was. It was just started that way from the beginning of its inception versus ours which is allowed to increase by 10% a year, but sunsets at the time the stadium is paid for...At one point, while UTSA and TX State, as well as Lamar IIRC, were charging the maximum of $20 per semester hour for an athletics fee, we were charging something like a third or a quarter of that fee. I don't think the gap is that big anymore, but it tells you a lot about the situation here.

The fees were voted on and passed by both the UTSA and Texas State student bodies.   Remember it was passed on the basis of moving TSSM to fb division status and at UTSA to establish football.    A lot different than getting a student body to increase funding for a football program that has been established for a long time. 

Also NT's fee is currently at $11 which is a lot more than a quarter of the allowed fee.   The max is $20 an hour.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2018 at 4:23 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think it's CANNOT. 
I really hope it's WILL NOT.   
Just because those two doofus schools charge students out the rear doesn't mean we should too.

Right, I mean why do what EVERY OTHER G5 SCHOOL IN TEXAS DOES TO GIVE THEIR ATHLICS THE BEST CHANCE TO COMPETE.

That would just be so not UNT. 

This fan base... 🙄

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 6