Confederate Monument Committee recommended keep the statue on the Denton Square

I am glad they will add some text explaining what has happened in the past.... and why they left it . People need to understand what happened decades ago.... some people are clueless. .

What has liberal/conservative got to do with anything.... both groups have people on both sides. 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I am skeptical of what they will add for context. 

"70 years after the end of the Civil War, cash strapped towns that worried about segregation ending and Jim Crow laws faltering, turned to donations money by the Daughters of the Confederacy to buy mass produced cheap monuments to create a public hero-worship for the war of traitors. They served a purpose to make people feel even more dug in on racial topics and ultimately kept racial tensions raised for generations. Raise a glass in honor of the losing traitors."

Nope, instead it will be calm words and hero locals protecting their state in the war of 'Northern Aggression'. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Glad they've voted to keep it and add context.

I didn't even think the whole confederate statues issue was even a thing anymore. Seem to have massive liberal outrage for about 5 seconds before everyone kinda forgot about it.

Why would minorities care about praising the heroes of the Civil War -- the losing side that wanted to keep them enslaved? Right? Hard to imagine! MAGA!

Snowflakes. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Why would minorities care about praising the heroes of the Civil War -- the losing side that wanted to keep them enslaved? Right? Hard to imagine! MAGA!

Snowflakes. 

lol wut.

Do you just get on GMG to complain about racism and politics? History is a thing. If they voted to tear it down I couldn't care less. If it really bothers you that much I hope you're beating down the doors of your local representative to destroy the racist shackles that bind our society from truly being happy and prosperous. Maybe one day we can all be as woke as yourself.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

13 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Maybe one day we can all be as woke as yourself.

lolz1?1?1eleven! pwn3d. I dream of a day we can all be wokez as myself. It would be so This is like talking to a 19 year old transported from 2001.BOOM GOES THE DYNAMItE

Yes, I have only been on gmg for 15+ years to complain about racism. I have found my calling of actually commenting on race in a topic ABOUT race. This topic is not about sunflowers that led me to somehow bring up the historical importance of white nationalism from left field. Who is the snowflake? 

I am certainly glad you care enough about me that you hope I am doing something other than posting on subject on a thread's subject. Though I can put your mind at ease. This year I put my money and words into action via - Doctors without Borders. ACLU. International Rescue Committee. National Immigration Law Center. Amnesty International. The Innocence Project.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I think the civil war is covered in the school systems.  Everyone should know that is bad time in US history.  When I was hiring as a manger just for my own curiosity I would ask the candidate who won the civil war.  I was surprised how many times I got the answer and even a few what civil war.  Granted this were not highly skilled jobs but a HS education or GED was required.  I dont know if you can ever educate everyone.  Some people live in their own little worlds.

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I think the civil war is covered in the school systems.  Everyone should know that is bad time in US history.  When I was hiring as a manger just for my own curiosity I would ask the candidate who won the civil war.  I was surprised how many times I got the answer and even a few what civil war.  Granted this were not highly skilled jobs but a HS education or GED was required.  I dont know if you can ever educate everyone.  Some people live in their own little worlds.

i believe that is what is truthful in this world.   facts/statistics can be found to support most anyone's beliefs...we have to be open to listening to both sides before making a decision, but we must listen.  we don't have to change our own minds, but we need to listen to those with differing ideas/beliefs without casting stones or calling names.

• Lovely Take 1