New Recruiting Coordinator Announced

MeanGreenTexan

6 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Just an FYI : Tim Brewster the new recruiting coordinator at A&M has no ties to Texas in the last 18 years. Texas ties don't seem important to doing the job. 

Brewster is a different animal -- he is known as one of the best recruiters in the country and I would categorize him more as a national recruiter although he did coach in Texas under Mack Brown and I believe he was the guy responsible for recruiting Vince Young.  SO it may have been a long time since he was coaching in the state of Texas but he has been recruiting here for other big programs like Florida State etc.  In fact last year he helped FSU land Dontavious Jackson (4-star from Alief Elsik) and a couple years back Mavin Saunders (4-star Houston Kinkaide) from Texas.

11 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

After a little digging, I notice Stenklyft had no Texas ties before he got here either. I think we'd agree Stenklyft did better last year than the guy with deep Texas roots the year before. 

I'll trust Littrell's judgement on this hire. 

Stenklyft graduated from A&M & is John David Crow's grandson. 
He got started as a recruiting asst at A&M.   
He's DEEP in Texas.

6 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Just an FYI : Tim Brewster the new recruiting coordinator at A&M has no ties to Texas last 18 years. Texas ties don't seem important to doing the job. 

Tim Brewster is also a position coach for Fisher (TEs).  It's more important for him to be a good on-field coach.   I'm sure A&M's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ allows them to have a different setup for recruiting.

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

I hear you, but some southern schools more than others. I just looked at the Kentucky roster and was surprised to see they didn't have one single player from Texas listed.

http://ukathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=football

I see a lot of Florida and Ohio on that roster.....not a bad place to "fill-in the gaps".  I know that SL and company want to focus on Texas and specifically, the 4 contiguous county around Denton, but it would be nice to pilfer FLA and OHIO of a few of their throw-a-ways....

• Lovely Take 1

Just now, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I see a lot of Florida and Ohio on that roster.....not a bad place to "fill-in the gaps".  I know that SL and company want to focus on Texas and specifically, the 4 contiguous county around Denton, but it would be nice to pilfer FLA and OHIO of a few of their throw-a-ways....

Good point.  The last best HS player we pulled from Fla?  I'm thinking maybe linebacker Shawn Early?  Would be nice to get some more good ones from there.

48 minutes ago, Harry said:

Valid take.  So you see no advantage for a guy organizing etc to have knowledge of the Texas football landscape?  Has he no interaction with HS coaches where a knowledge of Texas would be helpful to us? Not doubting you just interested.

I will say this, I like he is coming from an SEC school.  He has seen things working at the highest level of college football and could be valuable in that particular regard alone.

Thanks Harry. Not really, the landscape doesn't necessarily matter as much as the technical skills in this job. It's much more"internally focused" than externally. It's more about coordinating the recruiting efforts so that the coaching staff can be as efficient and productive as possible in their interactions with coaches, players, families, and those who matter in said prospect's life. I really like that Walerius is young and has some good pedigree, as you mention, from a SEC school.

Based on the track record of Littrell's ability to identify and hire coaching and support staff talent, I'd trust this one. If Texas ties were a huge criteria concern, I have no doubt, he would have considered that. 

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Stenklyft graduated from A&M & is John David Crow's grandson. 
He got started as a recruiting asst at A&M.   
He's DEEP in Texas.

Tim Brewster is also a position coach for Fisher (TEs).  It's more important for him to be a good on-field coach.   I'm sure A&M's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ allows them to have a different setup for recruiting.

Was it John or Jim?  Always get those mixed up.

Here is the job description as posted on Linkedin

Job description

Position Number 00001123 Department Athletics - Gen - 220410 Location Denton Is this an internal posting only? No Work Schedule Flexible Pending Season Department Overview UNT competes as a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and C-USA. North Texas' athletic programs are classified as NCAA Division I, the largest and highest division among all colleges and universities. The 46,000 square-foot Athletic Center located off South Bonnie Brae Street is the centerpiece of North Texas athletics. Athletics strives to conduct a competitive athletics program that promotes faculty, staff, student and community affiliation and participation with North Texas Athletics. Also, to provide facilities which attract the highest level of talent and allow student athletes to perform at the highest level in practice and in competition. Job Description The Athletics Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Director of Recruiting for Football. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:

RECRUITING OPERATIONS

• Oversee all day-to-day recruiting responsibilities.
  • Evaluate prospective student athletes and communicate to coaches.
  • Maintain Recruiting Calendar (Evaluation and Contact Dates).
  • Create a plan for all coaches going on the road recruiting in regards to the schools they will visit.
  • Oversee offer and commit letters and all other mail outs/graphics to prospects.
  • Liaison with compliance office for all recruiting aspects.
  • Update and Maintain all recruiting boards and spreadsheets.
  • Maintain Recruiting Database system (ACS).
  • Develop and Execute a plan for handwritten letters/notes for the coaches to send to recruits, parents, high school and junior college coaches.

• GRAPHICS/SOCIAL MEDIA
  • Oversee social media for recruiting purposes / Coach Littrell's twitter.
  • Establish a plan for coaches and staff on social media.
  • Keep the staff updated on any new and current things that could help recruiting.

• RECRUITING WEEKENDS
  • Plan and organize each recruiting weekend and create itinerary.
  • Coordinate travel for recruits who will be on visit and create rooming list.
  • Assist the recruits and families coming in on a visit.
  • Set up campus tours.
  • Set up all hotel accommodations and meals for the weekend.
  • Coordinate with academics, athletic training, strength and conditioning about their role in recruiting visits.
  • Track all recruiting expenses for recruiting visits and coaches on the road.

• JUNIOR DAYS
  • Set date and coordinate with staff and Coach Littrell.
  • Develop itinerary and program for Junior Day.
  • Create plan to get as many prospects as possible to attend.
  • Social media, mail outs, etc?

• GAMEDAYS
  • Host recruits and their families on game day.
  • Plan and run pre-game program for the recruits and families.
  • Assist recruits in meeting their area coach, position coach and if necessary Coach Littrell.

• The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.

The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing. Minimum Qualifications The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree and three years experience in coaching in respective sport, ideally in intercollegiate Division I level.

• Valid Texas driver's license, or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment, is required. Preferred Qualifications The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
  • Master's Degree; Division I Intercollegiate Athletics recruiting experience Special Instructions to Applicants Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application. Is this a security sensitive position? Yes Driving a University Vehicle? Yes Job Open Date 01-18-2018 Job Close Date Open Until Filled Pay Rate Salary Commensurate with Experience Pay Basis Monthly Job Type Full-time Permanent Quicklink for Posting jobs.unt.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=64291

• Upvote 1

A grad student working on her dissertation identified the top three predictors for D1 recruits.  Her prediction success rate was about 70%.  Number 1 was making an official visit.  The second predictor was distance living from the institution.  Nearness to the school was a plus.  The third dealt with social media.  She found that the more a recruit followed coaches, players, and other recruits for a school, the more likely they were to select that school.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Greenrex said:

Does this position, Recruiting Coordinator, have any on field duties? 

Stenklyft was on the field during games, but no idea if it was of anything of importance.. He may have been the “get back coach” i think.. but at his prior job, he was an LB coach or assistant LB coach

5 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

After a little digging, I notice Stenklyft had no Texas ties before he got here either. I think we'd agree Stenklyft did better last year than the guy with deep Texas roots the year before. 

I'll trust Littrell's judgement on this hire. 

Stenklyft did a terrible job, and so bad that he was basically called out on the board and Twitter. 

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Valid take.  So you see no advantage for a guy organizing etc to have knowledge of the Texas football landscape?  Has he no interaction with HS coaches where a knowledge of Texas would be helpful to us? Not doubting you just interested.

I will say this, I like he is coming from an SEC school.  He has seen things working at the highest level of college football and could be valuable in that particular regard alone.

What is also a good thing about UK is that they have been a bottom dweller for awhile (similar to UNT) but have been on the up with them recently having success in terms of going to bowls recently. The connection with the Stoops family helps, but another thing to take into account is UK hired away LeBlanc so he likely was contacted by SL as well. 

@GMG24 talked about during the visits he brought some kids on, that the gameday planning was at times lacking and left much to be desired at times. Hopefully coming from an SEC they will have  more direct planning/influence and have things down to the detail with visits on or off campus being planned nearly down to the minute to maximize the UNT experiences. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Graddean said:

A grad student working on her dissertation identified the top three predictors for D1 recruits.  Her prediction success rate was about 70%.  Number 1 was making an official visit.  The second predictor was distance living from the institution.  Nearness to the school was a plus.  The third dealt with social media.  She found that the more a recruit followed coaches, players, and other recruits for a school, the more likely they were to select that school.  

Basically to me this is like stating a player is more likely to sign with a school that offers him a scholarship than others. 

Player X goes on an official visit to University Z.   You then examine his social media and compare his interest in University Z versus other schools that he has offers from.    The school with the highest social media attention than is the predicted winner.   Can't argue with that logic, but not sure there anything useful there.  

Distance is obviously a factor in recruiting but I really don't see it application with the other two factors.   If a player has enough interest in a school to take an official visit and follows that school more intensely than any others, I doubt distance is going to be a determining factor. 

These predictors also leave out the biggest indicator of what drives a recruit's choice.    That is the conference affiliation and prestige of that university in that sport.   Assuming player X  from Dallas and has been intently following SMU via social media for years  and gets offers from SMU and Alabama, what are SMU's odds of landing that player?   

• Lovely Take 1