New Recruiting Coordinator Announced

MeanGreenTexan

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/013118aaa.html

Luke Walerius comes to us from Kentucky, where he was previously a "recruiting assistant".   He obtained his undergrad & grad degrees from UK.   
Kinda concerned about his lack of Texas ties... but hopefully his skills can offset them.

Welcome aboard Luke!    You will be very familiar with the recruiting challenges we face here coming from UK.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I have to agree. I certainly hope he proves me wrong but I am very skeptical of hiring a recruiting coordinator with seemingly zero ties to Texas high school football. The coaches in this state are a great group of guys, but they tend to stick together. Out of state and in-state P5 universities are hiring Texas high school coaches like crazy for that very reason. I really hope this works out.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

I hope I am wrong, but I don't like this hire at all.  This staff needs someone with Texas ties and hired just the opposite.  Not a lot of experience and is apparently going to start at zero to develop a Texas high school network.  It looks like a continuation of the thinking that keeps NT far behind the conference leaders in recruiting.  

This looks like another wasted opportunity for NT to improve their relationship with Texas high school coaches.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 5

43 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I hope I am wrong, but I don't like this hire at all.  This staff needs someone with Texas ties and hired just the opposite.  Not a lot of experience and is apparently going to start at zero to develop a Texas high school network.  It looks like a continuation of the thinking that keeps NT far behind the conference leaders in recruiting.  

This looks like another wasted opportunity for NT to improve their relationship with Texas high school coaches.  

I understand the point here, but would also offer that Scotty Conley had about as deep of Texas ties as you could hope for in that position and not sure it helped much.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

I understand the point here, but would also offer that Scotty Conley had about as deep of Texas ties as you could hope for in that position and not sure it helped much.

He was also old enough to collect full retirement benefits from the State.  Recruiting is definitely a young man's game. 

Conley was also the director of football ops...   Stenklyft was the recruiting coordinator last year.  He moved over to take Conley's spot, thus opening this spot for Walerius.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He was also old enough to collect full retirement benefits from the State.  Recruiting is definitely a young man's game. 

Conley was also the director of football ops...   Stenklyft was the recruiting coordinator last year.  He moved over to take Conley's spot, thus opening this spot for Walerius.

He was the director of high school relations which seems like a recruiting position. But I don't know what his actual duties were.

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/scott_conley_848223.html

With the connections SL, Harrell and staff have and are making, I think they will be fine introducing him to the coaches throughout God's country.  Besides, I much prefer the coaches to have those great relationships because they are the ones on the road the most.  Walerius can coordinate and insure the recruits are well taken care of on their visits to Denton.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

This position is more about the technical skills that are required for the job, rather than ties to any base of people. I would not worry about Texas Ties one bit. This is more about evaluating film, organizing prospects and visits, and overseeing communication both internal in the operation and external with the prospects and their families, orchestrating with facilities, etc. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Hire someone with Texas ties, but no experience as a recruiting co ordinator or a coordinator with experience? No brainer! Congrats to all!GMG

giphy.gif

Why would someone with Texas ties automatically not have any experience?

I like that Walerius is young, and that he's had to toil away at a bottom-feeder SEC school, having to come up with creative ways to get his staff in on higher-rated guys.   It's not an insurmountable obstacle.   Sorry if I'm making it out to be...   just a preference thing I guess.

31 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

This position is more about the technical skills that are required for the job, rather than ties to any base of people. I would not worry about Texas Ties one bit. This is more about evaluating film, organizing prospects and visits, and overseeing communication both internal in the operation and external with the prospects and their families, orchestrating with facilities, etc. 

Exactly.

I knew I would come on here and see a stream of "no Texas ties!" posts, but that isn't this position. Now if they hire a director of high school relations with no Texas ties, then we should get some torches and pitchforks. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Valid take.  So you see no advantage for a guy organizing etc to have knowledge of the Texas football landscape?  Has he no interaction with HS coaches where a knowledge of Texas would be helpful to us? Not doubting you just interested.

I will say this, I like he is coming from an SEC school.  He has seen things working at the highest level of college football and could be valuable in that particular regard alone.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Valid take.  So you see no advantage for a guy organizing etc to have knowledge of the Texas football landscape?  Has he no interaction with HS coaches where a knowledge of Texas would be helpful to us?

Any football recruiter in the South knows Texas, even if the coaches don't know him directly. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Any football recruiter in the South knows Texas, even if the coaches don't know him directly. 

I hear you, but some southern schools more than others. I just looked at the Kentucky roster and was surprised to see they didn't have one single player from Texas listed.

http://ukathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Just now, Harry said:

I hear you, but some southern schools more than others. I just looked at the Kentucky roster and was surprised to see they didn't have one single player from Texas listed.

http://ukathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=football

I was surprised also, but I did note they cast a pretty wide net. I think I saw players from ten or so states.

• Downvote 1