'18 DT Darren Brown (Judson)

TheReal_jayD

Interesting that UNT offered an unofficial visit, but SMU offered an official visit according to the 24/7 article.. 

if that’s why he picked to visit SMU over UNT, we need to reconsider how we go after talented DL. Kid is a 3* at .8299 as well (according to the SMU article that Harry posted).

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Interesting that UNT offered an unofficial visit, but SMU offered an official visit according to the 24/7 article.. 

if that’s why he picked to visit SMU over UNT, we need to reconsider how we go after talented DL. Kid is a 3* at .8299 as well (according to the SMU article that Harry posted).

Brown was unranked when UNT offered and I am pretty sure it was a bs offer due to the unofficial visit.

But one reason I think the ranking and star system are a joke in the last month SMU has had 4 2 star players commit. And all were bumped to a 3 star at 81+. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Brown was unranked when UNT offered and I am pretty sure it was a bs offer due to the unofficial visit.

But one reason I think the ranking and star system are a joke in the last month SMU has had 4 2 star players commit. And all were bumped to a 3 star at 81+. 

Exactly my point.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Bingo!

9 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Brown was unranked at the time because his lone offer at the time was from THE worst recruiting program in the country, UTEP. Then swooped in UNT and SMU. Of course he's going to get a bump. The star ratings and offers are many times synonymous with each other. 

• Upvote 1

The vast majority of 2* kids are 2* because none of the recruiting services even bothered to look at them.  2* is the default ranking of anyone on a HS roster.  

When the actual professionals, the coaches, start to give them attention, that is the signal for the services to actually bother to look at their tape.  

It is not surprising that a kid who starts to pick up offers gets bumped up.  

As a generalization  a degree from SMU has more market value that one from UNT. In the Dallas business community degrees from Texas,Texas A&M, and SMU open doors. In Ft. Worth TCU replaces SMU. If you are looking for a life after football in DFW a degree from UNT just doesn't rate that high.

• Downvote 7

5 minutes ago, wardly said:

As a generalization  a degree from SMU has more market value that one from UNT. In the Dallas business community degrees from Texas,Texas A&M, and SMU open doors. In Ft. Worth TCU replaces SMU. If you are looking for a life after football in DFW a degree from UNT just doesn't rate that high.

Based on what?

10 minutes ago, wardly said:

I don't believe that is true generally.   There might be some programs they are stronger in, there are some programs we are stronger in.

I think most people hiring for a logistics position would step over piles of SMU/TCU applicants to get to a NT grad.  

33 minutes ago, wardly said:

giphy.gif

• Lovely Take 1

36 minutes ago, wardly said:

My experience is there is little difference in those schools and the hiring decision; there are just too many other variables that mean more than where you have a degree from.   

Where those schools may have advantages is outside of the metroplex area were NT is not as well known.  UT does have an overall advantage now because their enrollment standards are so much higher than any of the other schools you mentioned.  

46 minutes ago, wardly said:

I'll let others know that I am where I am despite the albatross of my North Texas degree

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

56 minutes ago, wardly said:

lol depends on what field/community. In my field, a degree from UTD holds more value than those schools.

It's all relative.

12 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Watching his tape, you could see he was a very talented kid. He has impressive size, quickness for a DL, and held a P5 offer at one time. Yes he got a bump (likely) for picking SMU over UNT, but Shaw is still a 3* since he committed to UNT. 

The point is, if SMU offered a present day scholarship and we offered one in a few months (Blueshirt) it hurts because he is someone that could have played a critical role likely in a year or 2. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

The vast majority of 2* kids are 2* because none of the recruiting services even bothered to look at them.  2* is the default ranking of anyone on a HS roster.  

When the actual professionals, the coaches, start to give them attention, that is the signal for the services to actually bother to look at their tape.  

It is not surprising that a kid who starts to pick up offers gets bumped up.  

I don't think everyone is ranked.  There are plenty of UR players that are either a) not evaluated or 2) were evaluated but were not worthy of a 2 star rating.  

The services normally only rank around 3k - 3.5k kids each year.

1 minute ago, TreeFiddy said:

I don't think everyone is ranked.  There are plenty of UR players that are either a) not evaluated or 2) were evaluated but were not worthy of a 2 star rating. 

The services normally only rank around 3k - 3.5k kids each year.

I've seen players ranked with 1 star.

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

It would be different if it was one instance. But I can name about 50 of the top of my head just this year.

With the thousands of recruits being recruited each year, I imagine you can name at least 50. Just don't put Darren Brown on that list, because he doesn't fit the mold. As I am sure others of your 50 wouldn't either. 

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Fake news. 

• Haha 1