Recruiting vs regional peers

GrandGreen

Just out of curiosity, using 247 as a base, I compared the number of recruits with NT offers that signed or committed to regional peers.  Obviously, there are all kind of flaws in this type of analysis, but the results were interesting.

Recruits NT reportedly offered that committed/signed with regional peers.

La Tech 4

UTSA 1

Rice 2

UTEP 1

SMU 2

UH 3

Recruits offered by the above schools that committed/signed with NT.

UTSA 2

La Tech 1

SMU 1

UH 1

I was surprised how few athletes were reported to have been offered by multiple teams in this group.  It also confirmed to me that La Tech even though they are in another state is NT's biggest rival for recruits.  UTSA who I envisioned as winning a lot of recruiting battles against NT is not.  

Nothing to base this on, because I only looked at this year; but I think NT is definitely improving recruiting. 

• Upvote 5

39 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Just out of curiosity, using 247 as a base, I compared the number of recruits with NT offers that signed or committed to regional peers.  Obviously, there are all kind of flaws in this type of analysis, but the results were interesting.

La Tech 4

UTSA 1

Rice 2

UTEP 1

SMU 2

UH 3

UTSA 2

La Tech 1

SMU 1

UH 1

I was surprised how few athletes were reported to have been offered by multiple teams in this group.  It also confirmed to me that La Tech even though they are in another state is NT's biggest rival for recruits.  UTSA who I envisioned as winning a lot of recruiting battles against NT is not.  

Nothing to base this on, because I only looked at this year; but I think NT is definitely improving recruiting. 

Recruiting is steadily improving. This coming from someone that is quick to ridicule efforts/results in recruiting. I can see the improvement in offer lists, ratings, and general size in comparison to the previous 2 classes. Not quite where I'd like to see us, but definitely trending upward. I'd really like to see these last ships we have used on studs, with 1 being at LB and another at DL. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2

It will take more years of success to match all of the regional peers except UTSA and UTEP.  Houston, SMU and Rice are better known and respected from their years in the old Southwest Conference.  Louisiana Tech has always seemed to attract good athletes due to previous success on the field and movement with SMU, TCU and Rice to the WAC.  The Holtz name in coaching could be another draw.   

If we can get Hallett, Faison and Shaw with our last available scholarships we should end up above all of our regional peers except for Houston.  Our chances of getting all three are rather slim but still possible.  But, if that happens (or maybe even in part) it will improve our chances in next years recruiting.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

La Tech 4

UTSA 1

Rice 2

UTEP 1

SMU 2

UH 3

UTSA 2

La Tech 1

SMU 1

UH 1

UTSA did not have the same offense do they usually did not target the same kids.. UTSA has a new OC and it was discussed that they could be shifting to the spread/air-raid.. if they do it will increase the number of offers to the same kids.

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

UTSA did not have the same offense do they usually did not target the same kids.. UTSA has a new OC and it was discussed that they could be shifting to the spread/air-raid.. if they do it will increase the number of offers to the same kids.

Probably not. The new OC is still very much a pro-style coordinator

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I was surprised to see how hard LaTech hits DFW.  I started noticing a couple seasons ago.  I want to recall - maybe I'm wrong - that they have a full-time recruiter living in DFW and working the area as his sole responsibility.

I doubt that LaTech has a recruiter in the area.  Last year's roster only had one from Rowlett and one from Burleson.  This year I recall that they have three? commitments from Mesquite Horn and West Mesquite.  Furthermore, LaTech operates on less revenue than anyone in the conference.

• Lovely Take 2

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

I was surprised to see how hard LaTech hits DFW.  I started noticing a couple seasons ago.  I want to recall - maybe I'm wrong - that they have a full-time recruiter living in DFW and working the area as his sole responsibility.

No doubt. LaTech has a good strategy. They can get some MS and LA kids that other CUSA teams can't really get (except maybe USM) and they are still a player in DFW. 

On 1/27/2018 at 11:11 AM, GrayEagle said:

It will take more years of success to match all of the regional peers except UTSA and UTEP.  Houston, SMU and Rice are better known and respected from their years in the old Southwest Conference.  Louisiana Tech has always seemed to attract good athletes due to previous success on the field and movement with SMU, TCU and Rice to the WAC.  The Holtz name in coaching could be another draw.   

If we can get Hallett, Faison and Shaw with our last available scholarships we should end up above all of our regional peers except for Houston.  Our chances of getting all three are rather slim but still possible.  But, if that happens (or maybe even in part) it will improve our chances in next years recruiting.

My guess most of the current players never heard of the SWC.  Rice should not be and is not that big a challenge in recruiting.   Rice gets some drawn to their academic environment but not many.  

La Tech's success has always been kind of a mystery to me.  They have a good record and appear to be very good at hiring good coaches.   IMO, NT should be more than competitive with the Bulldogs. 

Houston and SMU have a significantly better thought of conference to draw to and a substantially bigger football budgets.  I think NT should be competitive to some extent in recruiting, but I don't expect a lot of recruiting victories against these schools at this point.