Athletic fee referendum to be put to a re-vote

Skipper

I was under the impression that the vote itself wasn’t a violation but the meeting that took place about the vote was the violation? In any case I don’t like how the vote is being conducted. I’ve also noticed on NT Daily that they took down the opinion column on voting Yes or at least made it harder to find. They kept the one opposing the student fee increase though, it has a link on their webpage. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I was under the impression that the vote itself wasn’t a violation but the meeting that took place about the vote was the violation? In any case I don’t like how the vote is being conducted. I’ve also noticed on NT Daily that they took down the opinion column on voting Yes or at least made it harder to find. They kept the one opposing the student fee increase though, it has a link on their webpage. 

doodoo hot garbage if true. We should let the northeast and west coast run our general elections while we're at it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

What was the tuition rate and fees when you went to UNT? Compare that to the fees now and you will see why some students are against it because it has 0 affect on them they believe.

This fee increase has to be voted on because of how it is structured and the amount of the increase. It is my understanding that it can be raised a dollar a year without a vote. 

Every year there are fees that all students pay that some will never utilize that are never voted on. I paid them when I was a student. It is what it is. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

This fee increase has to be voted on because of how it is structured and the amount of the increase. It is my understanding that it can be raised a dollar a year without a vote. 

Every year there are fees that all students pay that some will never utilize that are never voted on. I paid them when I was a student. It is what it is. 

The question should  why has WB and them not been doing the 1 buck a year since he got here? Shoulda done that and then asked for a smaller increase..

• Upvote 2

On 1/21/2018 at 9:51 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

The question should  why has WB and them not been doing the 1 buck a year since he got here? Shoulda done that and then asked for a smaller increase..

True.  To add, it should have been increased every year since implementation.

Edited by UNTLifer
Spelling on a tablet
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

14 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I think this logic applies back to 2008 or whenever it was implemented. From what I've been told, the President has to be supportive of the increase as does the BOR. Not sure until the last 2-3 years, more money for athletics would have been supported by both the President and BOR. Add to that every other year when the Texas Leg is in session, I think high pressure is put on higher ed to not increase fees at all. So you'd be looking at up to 10% every other year. RV got a $1 increase his last year but I believe that was taken back because the fee can increase "up to 10%" without a student vote. So it could have been .99 but not $1. WB came in August of '16. Last year would have been first year to ask for an increase. I don't think UNT increased any fees last year (probably due to Texas Leg being in session). I bet they go for the current amount to make up ground. If it doesn't pass, then go for the up to 10%. One note is that the 10% isn't on the original $10 but on the current fee total. So theoretically if the fee was $15, it could be increased by $1.49. So to your point, you can make up ground by increasing the max amount every year. In 8 years, you'd get to get to the $20 students pay at TxSt and UTSA

When I first attended NT.  In ancient times when dinosaurs, plaid, and grunge roamed the campus... the state covered 75% of the cost of attendance for every student at a public university.

The state has cut back on per student cost coverage in the last 20 years.  It now covers less than 20% of the cost of attendance.   If you wonder why students have to pay more, it is largely because the state decided not to cover as much as the of the cost.  It also decided to make a PR move by controlling tuition costs... but not fees.  Which is why so much of the cost of college today is in fees.

Another interesting thing to do when you have a free weekend... peruse the THECB reports on how much the state has "saved" by reducing per student costs, then look at the strangely similar amount of money the state has "saved" in the rainy day fund.  

44 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

When I first attended NT.  In ancient times when dinosaurs, plaid, and grunge roamed the campus... the state covered 75% of the cost of attendance for every student at a public university.

The state has cut back on per student cost coverage in the last 20 years.  It now covers less than 20% of the cost of attendance.   If you wonder why students have to pay more, it is largely because the state decided not to cover as much as the of the cost.  It also decided to make a PR move by controlling tuition costs... but not fees.  Which is why so much of the cost of college today is in fees.

Another interesting thing to do when you have a free weekend... peruse the THECB reports on how much the state has "saved" by reducing per student costs, then look at the strangely similar amount of money the state has "saved" in the rainy day fund.  

Well since I was in school they use the lottery to put 1.4  Billion in the Education fund. I guess the next question is the education fund where the state coverage comes from full or in part?

37 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Well since I was in school they use the lottery to put 1.4  Billion in the Education fund. I guess the next question is the education fund where the state coverage comes from full or in part?

Only about a quarter of lottery funds go to the Foundation School Program. The rest is used for other non education purposes. Regardless,  THECB and Universities aren't allowed to access the FSP.    

It is reserved for use by the TEA, aka K-12 school districts.  

ETA:  

THECB = Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board

TEA = Texas Education Agency

Edited by Cerebus

On 1/21/2018 at 12:27 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

What was the tuition rate and fees when you went to UNT? Compare that to the fees now and you will see why some students are against it because it has 0 affect on them they believe.

Those of us that don't have school aged children don't like paying school taxes either, but we have that "privilege" because it's for the greater good. UNT administration, the BOR and Mean Green Club members have invested a lot of time, energy and money to this university. The students sould too. That, or go to a different university.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Those of us that don't have school aged children don't like paying school taxes either, but we have that "privilege" because it's for the greater good. UNT administration, the BOR and Mean Green Club members have invested a lot of time, energy and money to this university. The students sould too. That, or go to a different university.

Yeah.    ~$5500 per semester in tuition/fees is just not going to cut it.  ...Students clearly aren't invested.

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yeah.    ~$5500 per semester in tuition/fees is just not going to cut it.  ...Students clearly aren't invested.

If my daughter chooses to remain at UNT, it will be full ride, so I am therefore advocating for a $20,000 per semester hour student athletic fee.  They deserve to pay it.  Just don't raise my GMG contributions!!! 

Again, not directed at you.  I think you and I are very much on the same page in this.