DRC: UNT adjusting roles in football operations, recruiting

Brett Vito

How refreshing to see NT recognizing there are/were multiple problems within the football and athletic departments that require a careful, multi-year approach to fix. Simply firming everyone rarely is the answer to complex problems. See how things actually work and THEN changing the structure makes far more sense. But that takes time and doesn't happen over night. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

But I thought all the good ole boys were just gonna keep destroying any semblance of success we have.

You mean to tell me we have a proactive coaching staff and AD to take care of ineptitude? IT'S RV ALL OVER AGAIN I TELL YOU.

Glad Conley is gone. Stenklyft was good for recruting operations, but his drive/player relations was lacking. We need a young guy who wants to work his ass off for UNT recruiting. One that the players can relate to better.

UNT Athletics is doomed I tell ya

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

The Wren™ might not be changing things at the pace some may like, but he is changing things.

He obviously is the kind of guy who comes into a new place and says "You all have a blank slate with me, show me your best."  Some people wanted him to clean house day one, but it looks like that isn't his style.  

There have been a lot more changes behind the scenes, in many area of the athletic department.   

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

The Wren™ might not be changing things at the pace some may like, but he is changing things.

He obviously is the kind of guy who comes into a new place and says "You all have a blank slate with me, show me your best."  Some people wanted him to clean house day one, but it looks like that isn't his style.  

There have been a lot more changes behind the scenes, in many area of the athletic department.   

I actually like the approach. By evaluating things on your own and not just firing everyone from the outset, you allow the organization to keep moving forward and see if your people were not successful because of fit or leadership. He is certainly playing the long game, building for the future and not making changes just for the sake of making changes.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

My personal experience has shown doing things this way tends to lead to a more sustained success. I've seen it multiple times in television and several in non-profit and retail. The leaders who come in a clean house promptly often end up moving on in just a few years, leaving an even bigger mess behind them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  We should be rejoicing these much needed changes in our recruiting organization and personnel.  Hip hip hooray!

Say what you will about A&M and the Jimbo hire but he has gone out and hired some of the very best recruiters in the country as his positional coaches.  Many of us know how very good Darrell Dickey is as a recruiter.  This is the formula in college football right now.  I realize we do not have their budget but we can still make improvements to our system and get better.  

I have never bought into the “things are tough at North Texas” excuse.  You have to dig into the data and find out what the objections and hurdles are.  Isolate the top objections and focus resources to remove them.

Dickey used to lament “if we could only get them to visit [Denton] our closing percentage go way up.”  Of course he has SO many more negatives to deal with back then.  He could not pay his top recruiting assistants enough for any of them to stay.  We became a training program for higher tier schools to pluck the cream from.  They would avoid Fouts Field when recruits visited etc.  and yet he was still able to land some top notch talent for a period of time.

I am not saying we should be winning battles against p5’s but we should absolutely be able to compete with most g5’s  based on our location alone.  Littrell is a great coach but he needs a good supporting cast and system  to aid in reaching our recruiting potential.