'18 OT Carlton Lorenz (College of the Canyons, Valencia CA)

dmaxel

• 2 weeks later...

Currently according to my count NT has 16 players signed in the OL not counting two more that are supposedly committed.   That is an unusually high number of ships used for the OL.  Yet, apparently NT still doesn't have the players that they think they can improve the OL.   

It is very concerning to me that this staff still has not found enough offensive linemen that they are comfortable with and are still looking for Juco help.  

I know someone is going think that you can't have enough offensive linemen, but this means that NT has reduced ships for all other positions to hopefully improve this unit.   Most of us agree that is a need area despite having maybe 4 starters returning.   However, it means that NT has missed on a lot of players at these positions.   

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Currently according to my count NT has 16 players signed in the OL not counting two more that are supposedly committed.   That is an unusually high number of ships used for the OL.  Yet, apparently NT still doesn't have the players that they think they can improve the OL.   

It is very concerning to me that this staff still has not found enough offensive linemen that they are comfortable with and are still looking for Juco help.  

I know someone is going think that you can't have enough offensive linemen, but this means that NT has reduced ships for all other positions to hopefully improve this unit.   Most of us agree that is a need area despite having maybe 4 starters returning.   However, it means that NT has missed on a lot of players at these positions.   

This brought a question to mind that I hope some of the more "in tune" posters could answer.  What is the normal roster breakdown, by position, of most D1 schools?  I know offensive and defensive scheme will skew this number somewhat, but are 18 OL's  out of the norm?  When I consider there are 5 starting spots, backups, redshirts, etc... I would think 18 would be about normal, but I could be way off.

57 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This brought a question to mind that I hope some of the more "in tune" posters could answer.  What is the normal roster breakdown, by position, of most D1 schools?  I know offensive and defensive scheme will skew this number somewhat, but are 18 OL's  out of the norm?  When I consider there are 5 starting spots, backups, redshirts, etc... I would think 18 would be about normal, but I could be way off.

I would think 18 is a bit high, with most programs likely having 15-16 at the very most with it ideally probably being around 12-14 with you graduating 2-3 a year with them being replaced each year as well.

The biggest problem with investing so many scholarships into the OL is it has taken away from the DL/LB in last class and the OL kids we added this class have 0 other offers.. To me let the RG/RT spot be settled by Preston, Moses, Brammer, or Parish/Murray unless there is a drop dead amazing JUCO we can get late or a highly ranked kid who may have grade issues that we could pick off late similar to what we did with Johnson and Haynes with the hope they can make it to campus.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I'm not in the know of other programs but I would think it to be normal. 18 scholarships in a position group of 5 is 3-4 scholarships per position which is what you would expect for quarterback and I think less than what we have for running back. I think people are complaining because of where we are on the defensive side of the ball. Just because we are lacking on that side doesn't mean we shouldn't go after the guys protecting our all conference QB. Plus when you consider how many injuries occur on the OL it's probably not a bad place to have depth. If we can control the game on the offensive side of the ball we can relieve pressure off our defense minimizing fatigue thus injury risk. But what do I know...

Maybe somebody can bring actual known numbers into this.

I don't know either but I am guessing since G-5's have to take some chances especially on the lines, you have to field a few more just to cover your bases.  Just speculation on my part.  The coaches we have on here could offer more color to this.

Per this 2017 SB nation Alabama I counted 18 OL on the roster all of which were on scholarship. Obviously SEC school and Alabama but they're a blue chip program so I figured they would be a good indication of what's appropriate.

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2017/7/11/15952484/alabama-crimson-tide-football-finds-its-way-to-85-man-roster-2017-blueshirt-grayshirt

Per this SB nation article OL is also the hardest postion group to recruit so we (g5) need to take chances on more players if we want a competitive OL.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football-recruiting/2014/1/27/5330708/college-football-hardest-position

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm not in the know of other programs but I would think it to be normal. 18 scholarships in a position group of 5 is 3-4 scholarships per position which is what you would expect for quarterback and I think less than what we have for running back. I think people are complaining because of where we are on the defensive side of the ball. Just because we are lacking on that side doesn't mean we shouldn't go after the guys protecting our all conference QB. Plus when you consider how many injuries occur on the OL it's probably not a bad place to have depth. If we can control the game on the offensive side of the ball we can relieve pressure off our defense minimizing fatigue thus injury risk. But what do I know...

Maybe somebody can bring actual known numbers into this.

4 scholarship players per starting position, not counting positions like P/K would give you 88 total so 3 or 4 per position would seem about right. 

I remember McCarney squawking when he was here about only have 15/16 OL when he got here and mentioned how it was a problem.  18-20 always seemed like a reasonable number, but then again I never went and looked at other team's rosters.

Surprised that Alabama has that many on ship.   Not sure how you can tell how many the other examples are ship athletes. 

Guess I am stuck in the DD years were 10 was high number of ol ships.

However, in general there are less OL because they are limited on special team play.   Extra ships are normally allocated to linebackers, te, and so called skill positions that can also help on the kick offs and ko return teams.   

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Surprised that Alabama has that many on ship.   Not sure how you can tell how many the other examples are ship athletes. 

Guess I am stuck in the DD years were 10 was high number of ol ships.

However, in general there are less OL because they are limited on special team play.   Extra ships are normally allocated to linebackers, te, and so called skill positions that can also help on the kick offs and ko return teams.   

I do think it high as well and brought this up in prior posts.. Since SL has gotten here he has recruited nearly 3 entire OLs worth of kids if you break it down and its worrisome that we can't start plugging in some of these kids like Chandler Anthony who is going into his RS SO year. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, ttunt1970 said:

Everyone on this board needs to understand , the OL & DL are the hardest position for G-5 to fill with quality

Everyone understands but when you have nearly 4 entire OLs worth of scholarship players that are taking up nearly 1/5 of the scholarships.. you either need to bring in a better person to evaluate talent, or develop talent

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

54 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Everyone understands but when you have nearly 4 entire OLs worth of scholarship players that are taking up nearly 1/5 of the scholarships.. you either need to bring in a better person to evaluate talent, or develop talent

You talking about us or Alabama or La Tech or FAU?

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Read the SB nation article I posted about it being the hardest position group to project and not expecting to see production from a player until year 3(RS So year). Also, we have the same amount on scholly as Bama and have less per position as we have running backs (just an example). You're looking at it as 1/5 of scholarships but it includes 5 positions. 3-4 scholarships per position is the norm.