FAU's new OC - 24 year old, Charlie Weiss Jr.

MeanGreen_ATX

33 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

I don't think this guys daddy loved him.  Probably had a family business that daddy didn't want him involved in.  I don't think Kiffin cares about his last name,  if he thinks he can contribute and help the team win is the only reason he hired him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

I don't think this guys daddy loved him.  Probably had a family business that daddy didn't want him involved in.  I don't think Kiffin cares about his last name,  if he thinks he can contribute and help the team win is the only reason he hired him.

So you think that the guy's name had nothing to do with him getting opportunities that are nearly unheard of? I think it absolutely had something to do with it. Sure, Kiffin thinks that the guy can help him win, but the fact that he can contribute as a coordinator at 24 when almost no one has ever done that is a product of his parentage. He got opportunities that are simply not available to others.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

I don't think this guys daddy loved him.  Probably had a family business that daddy didn't want him involved in. 

If you mean the author, I think you are right. Coaching has been a family business forever. I believe part of that is because a kid growing up in the business has a better understanding of exactly how temporary every coaching job is. 

The fact Kiffin worked with him at Bama and had brought him along to FAU before the kid was hired by the Falcons makes me believe THIS hire wasn't based on the kids last name. I think the kid got extra opportunities when he started out, but by his third job he had to be proving himself. 

21 hours ago, forevereagle said:

So you think that the guy's name had nothing to do with him getting opportunities that are nearly unheard of? I think it absolutely had something to do with it. Sure, Kiffin thinks that the guy can help him win, but the fact that he can contribute as a coordinator at 24 when almost no one has ever done that is a product of his parentage. He got opportunities that are simply not available to others.

I think your name only gets you so far in a win or you are fired profession (aren't all professions that way when you really think about it).  If the kid didn't have the stuff Kiffin wouldn't have hired him.  Like it or not the coaching community seems to like Kiffin and there is no shortage of coaches who would like to work for him.  Especially when his coaches leave for bigger and better jobs (3 left this year but 1 might be coming back due to the Arizona fiasco).

Edited by FAU Connoisseur
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

I think your name only gets you so far in a win or you are fired profession (aren't all professions that way when you really think about it).  If the kid didn't have the stuff Kiffin wouldn't have hired him.  Like it or not the coaching community seems to like Kiffin and there is no shortage of coaches who would like to work for him.  Especially when his coaches leave for bigger and better jobs (3 left this year but 1 might be coming back due to the Arizona fiasco).

Right, I never said the guy wasn't any good. I said that he had doors opened for him at points in his life that almost no one else has opened for them because of his name. When was the last time that you remember an FBS coordinator being named at 24? 

1 hour ago, forevereagle said:

Right, I never said the guy wasn't any good. I said that he had doors opened for him at points in his life that almost no one else has opened for them because of his name. When was the last time that you remember an FBS coordinator being named at 24? 

It's never happened.  Kiffin was close.  I met the guy he's impressive.  How old was Bill Gates when he started Microsoft or Zuckerberg and Facebook.  Doesn't matter how he got the opportunity he took advantage of it and it has paid off.  I hope he is successful.  Why are we so concerned about why people got their opportunities.  No one gave me anything, I worked hard and success fortunately followed.  I don't begrudge someone because they got an opportunity that I didn't get from name or family if they are good.  I doubt Kiffin hired him to get in good favor with SR.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

It's never happened.  Kiffin was close.  I met the guy he's impressive.  How old was Bill Gates when he started Microsoft or Zuckerberg and Facebook.  Doesn't matter how he got the opportunity he took advantage of it and it has paid off.  I hope he is successful.  Why are we so concerned about why people got their opportunities.  No one gave me anything, I worked hard and success fortunately followed.  I don't begrudge someone because they got an opportunity that I didn't get from name or family if they are good.  I doubt Kiffin hired him to get in good favor with SR.

How someone gets in the door isn't nearly as important as what they do once they are inside. Lots of folks get started in a business because of a family, friend, school, frat or other connection. They rarely stay or get promoted if they don't perform. The Falcon's aren't going to hire the kid away from FAU if he doesn't have some talent. 

3 hours ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

How old was Bill Gates when he started Microsoft or Zuckerberg and Facebook.

Not sure how these two guys compare here, but ok.

Just to be clear here, seems like nepotism is ok as long as the person doesn't suck. 

Also, to be clear, I am not saying that this guy is bad or anything, but I just thought it was more intellectually honest to admit that he is really only in this position because of who his father is.

Edited by forevereagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Not sure how these two guys compare here, but ok.

Just to be clear here, seems like nepotism is ok as long as the person doesn't suck. 

Also, to be clear, I am not saying that this guy is bad or anything, but I just thought it was more intellectually honest to admit that he is really only in this position because of who his father is.

I am not sure you know what nepotism is....nepotism = the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives, especially by giving them jobs.

Just cause he has a famous father doesn't mean he doesn't have abilities of his own.   Per my research Kiffin is not related to Weis.  But to end the controversy I will call the football offices and demand his resignation.

One other comment Sr hasn't coached since 2014.  So 3 years going on 4 this kid is making an impression on the football coaching community.  BUT, if I were you I would hope is nepotism and he is grossly under qualified and we suffer the consequences with multiple losses.

And does it fall under nepotism if you were never paid when you "worked" for your father or was it him hanging out with his dad at work learning the trade?

Edited by FAU Connoisseur

1 minute ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

I am not sure you know what nepotism is....nepotism = the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives, especially by giving them jobs.

Just cause he has a famous father doesn't mean he doesn't have abilities of his own.   Per my research Kiffin is not related to Weis.  But to end the controversy I will call the football offices and demand his resignation.

Ok, glad to know his father, known by many in the world of football coaching, had no ability to influence others to give his son a chance unavailable to others. 

On the second part, I am not going to type it again, so I will just quote myself and hope that makes the point.

31 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Also, to be clear, I am not saying that this guy is bad or anything

5 hours ago, forevereagle said:

Right, I never said the guy wasn't any good.

44 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

Just cause he has a famous father doesn't mean he doesn't have abilities of his own.  

We're not knocking the kid, we're just objectively saying there is zero evidence of his potential as an OC.

He was a TE coach and an analyst for a few years. 

Let's not vomit over semantics - his barrier to get to this point was greatly reduced by name and name alone. If I skimmed articles right: Florida QC under his dad, then Kansas team manager under his dad, then Alabama analyst, then Falcons analyst? Typical career paths don't start like that unless you have an in. Heck, look at one of the most storied college football players of the 2000s, who finally got a shot as OC at little ol' North Texas?

Who in their right mind would give someone the offensive reins to a 24 year old only a few years in as an analyst and a stint as TE coach?

A head coach who will actually be calling the shots at a low-risk place. Totally no offense to you or FAU, but let's be real here. He ain't no OC quite yet no matter how smart Kiffin thinks he is.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

On 1/18/2018 at 9:23 AM, FAU Connoisseur said:

I trust Kiffin, kid has credentials.  He was an analyst at Alabama with Kiffin.  Kiffin hired him last year as TE coach, but then he got hired to be an assistant coach with the Falcons.  I met him last year at a cocktail party (not sure he was drinking) at the presidents mansion.  He was one of those people that after you talk to you just leave impressed.  We were disappointed he went to the Falcons last year.  Everything I read is he has an offensive mind that exceeds his years.  I think it is obvious that Kiffin will be heavily mentoring him, but I am pretty sure Weis will be calling the plays.  Very mature for his age, already married.

I would definitely trust Kiffin in your shoes. His results this year demonstrated a number of key characteristics that you want your head coach to have. We all know Kiffin will have his fingerprints all over the offense, and he wouldn’t bring in an OC who he wasn’t fully comfortable with. My guess would be that Weiss has been surrounded by football at high levels for a long time, he’s seen a lot, learned a lot, and is mature well beyond his years.

As Mean Green and Owl fans, we need to be prepared for a few more years of CUSA Championship Games with FAU (at a minimum until Mason and Motor are gone).

19 hours ago, Aldo said:

We're not knocking the kid, we're just objectively saying there is zero evidence of his potential as an OC.

He was a TE coach and an analyst for a few years. 

Let's not vomit over semantics - his barrier to get to this point was greatly reduced by name and name alone. If I skimmed articles right: Florida QC under his dad, then Kansas team manager under his dad, then Alabama analyst, then Falcons analyst? Typical career paths don't start like that unless you have an in. Heck, look at one of the most storied college football players of the 2000s, who finally got a shot as OC at little ol' North Texas?

Who in their right mind would give someone the offensive reins to a 24 year old only a few years in as an analyst and a stint as TE coach?

A head coach who will actually be calling the shots at a low-risk place. Totally no offense to you or FAU, but let's be real here. He ain't no OC quite yet no matter how smart Kiffin thinks he is.

My point is after he left his dad he has impressed people.  Wouldn't you think coaches who have no connection to SR (Kiffin and Sarkasian) would have resentment towards him if he didn't have some ability?  Maybe Kiffin will be running the whole offense, maybe not, maybe it wil bel a combo, maybe it will implode to the benefit of the entire conference!  I take no offense, I am just more commenting on the point of how upset (not just a few on this board) with nepotism.  The reality is if Kiffin's name is attached it will automatically get a negative reaction in some circles.  Weis Jr took advantage of every opportunity that was available to him, instead of running around the practice fields in New England when he was 7 or 8 he was in the coaches office obviously learning things from his dad.  When at Kansas he was working with the football program 50 60 hours a week and taking a full slate of classes.  The kid is sharp. I trust Kiffin and whatever his plan is.  He has a non-traditional way of doing things.  It drives establishment crazy, I kind of like it.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

Weis Jr took advantage of every opportunity that was available to him,

here I’ll put it this way: Let’s imagine my dad is rich. He’s driving around an Audi. When I turn 16 he gifts it to me. 

After driving around only a year, I join an Audi-only club that my dad’s friend runs that typically only admits experienced drivers. 

That opportunity was available to me. 

How can we expect an offensive analyst with 2 years experience to run the entire offense? We’re not. It’s pretty clear Kiffin is running it and Weis is being gifted this opportunity for one reason or another. 

21 hours ago, Aldo said:

here I’ll put it this way: Let’s imagine my dad is rich. He’s driving around an Audi. When I turn 16 he gifts it to me. 

After driving around only a year, I join an Audi-only club that my dad’s friend runs that typically only admits experienced drivers. 

That opportunity was available to me. 

How can we expect an offensive analyst with 2 years experience to run the entire offense? We’re not. It’s pretty clear Kiffin is running it and Weis is being gifted this opportunity for one reason or another. 

Yes this would hold true for you being an awful driver, but if your name was Dale Earnhardt Jr. then it would be an invalid point.

22 hours ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

Yes this would hold true for you being an awful driver, but if your name was Dale Earnhardt Jr. then it would be an invalid point.

Well that's the thing, you've never driven before. No one has EVER watched you drive.

No one is saying he's bad. But he's definitely not good because there is no evidence to say one way or the other.

We can continue this tired discussion but dude is a greenhorn. No objective way to say he's good. Wish him well, for the sake of the league, but we know what's going on here.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Well that's the thing, you've never driven before. No one has EVER watched you drive.

No one is saying he's bad. But he's definitely not good because there is no evidence to say one way or the other.

We can continue this tired discussion but dude is a greenhorn. No objective way to say he's good. Wish him well, for the sake of the league, but we know what's going on here.

yes, and that greenhorn coach out in L.A. had never been a HC before this year.......he "sucks" for sure....despite their record....

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

yes, and that greenhorn coach out in L.A. had never been a HC before this year.......he "sucks" for sure....despite their record....

Wat

First I didn't say he "sucks". I said we couldn't say he was good *or* bad.

Also, are you talking about McVay?

As coach:

Yeah totally the same thing. Nearly 10 years experience.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 2