looks like UTEP found a QB

southsideguy

1.  AsapLocks Retweeted

Things didn't work out for Kai Locksley at Texas. The ex-Longhorn quarterback, however, was named the NJCAA Offensive Player of the Year this past season. On Monday, he announced that his next pass will be thrown at UTEP. https://www.hookem.com/football-news/football/former-longhorn-to-join-utep-football-team  #HookEm

0 replies7 retweets30 likes

Retweet

2.  AsapLocks Retweeted
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Good for them.  Hopefully he works out for them and they can win some games next year (just not against us). 0-12 is not a good look for CUSA.

I'm ok with UTEP being 0-12. Especially after the last time I watched us play at UTEP. Those fans deserve 0-12 every season until they drop football. (Which I heard was discussed from a buddy of mine.) I doubt it will happen though.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

56 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

I'm ok with UTEP being 0-12. Especially after the last time I watched us play at UTEP. Those fans deserve 0-12 every season until they drop football. (Which I heard was discussed from a buddy of mine.) I doubt it will happen though.

UTEP will never drop Football. What they should do (and not sure if it will ever happen with their President) is invest in coaches. If they can win 7-8 games they can get 30K to 35K butts in the seats. If they could win more than that they would get over 40K, however, their administration has shown no commitment to athletics (sound familiar)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

UTEP will never drop Football. What they should do (and not sure if it will ever happen with their President) is invest in coaches. If they can win 7-8 games they can get 30K to 35K butts in the seats. If they could win more than that they would get over 40K, however, their administration has shown no commitment to athletics (sound familiar)

That stadium is electric when they were competing for the WAC title.  I was there when they beat Houston a couple times and you could feel the concrete shake.

They have one of the best stadiums in the region.  I hope they never drop football.

• Upvote 1

Agreed I watched undefeated utep vs undefeated nmsu a few years back and it was over the top atmosphere.  The utep crowd will show up at home and away when They are competitive. 

We do need to beat them out there.  I have seen at least two Mean green beat downs out there and it sux!  

Good pick up for them.

Go Mean Green!!!!!

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The conversation leaned towards why not get a men's Soccer team that is super competitive and take care of any title 9 issue they ever imagine. I thought it sounded interesting with no chance of happening. 

UTEP is a very tough sell to coaches and players alike. I never considered playing at UTEP. Even my dad who went there said not to. Many coaches who I knew that coached there said it was really really hard to get high school kids to go. 

Growing up we had season tickets to UTEP and it was different back then. There's an absolute zero chance I'd take my kids into that stadium or parking lot to watch a North Texas game. I actually had some people stop by and apologize for the way people were behaving. I even had UTEP fans sitting with me. At least the brawls have stayed outside the stadium from what I've seen.

However, the old man with his dukes up was funny though. As was the kid getting jerked off on TV. Not exactly family friendly though.

i grew up in EP and went to UTEP games while in high school.  Never had any problems but I hear that it has changed.  Heck they always had a decent crowd at the games even when they were really bad.  I saw my first UTEP BB games at Memorial Gym and it was a hard ticket to get.  I just stand outside looking lost and some kind person would give an extra ticket to see the game.  To see the lack of attendance at there games is unbelievable. Yes, we had no computers or internet (al gore was still working on it)so your choice was go to Juarez or go to the UTEP game.  In fact that is how I became interested in NT.  NT played at UTEP and like the uniforms (lol) so I did my research on NT.  I left for Denton after gradation and never looked back and now I have retired in Denton. My only two regrets about living in Denton is the traffic, roads and property taxes.

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Good for UTEP.  Their QB last year was really bad.   He'll be an immediate improvement.   Not enough to win a bunch of games or anything, but better than weekly 30-pt beatings scoring less than less than 10 pts.

I have no idea why you say "Not enough to win a bunch of games.." We'd be drooling over the recruit. 4 Star QB and Top 300 player in the country in 2015.  Here is his profile: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/164106/kai-locksley

His offer list is crazy too.

Edited by chrisfisher
add content
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, chrisfisher said:

I have no idea why you say "Not enough to win a bunch of games.." We'd be drooling over the recruit. 4 Star QB and Top 300 player in the country in 2015.  Here is his profile: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/164106/kai-locksley

His offer list is crazy too.

UTEP was 0-12 last year.   They just lost a high-round OL draft pick to graduation.   Locksley, as good as he is, won't be winning them a bunch of games by himself.   That is a very bad TEAM.

6 hours ago, southsideguy said:

i grew up in EP and went to UTEP games while in high school.  Never had any problems but I hear that it has changed.  Heck they always had a decent crowd at the games even when they were really bad.  I saw my first UTEP BB games at Memorial Gym and it was a hard ticket to get.  I just stand outside looking lost and some kind person would give an extra ticket to see the game.  To see the lack of attendance at there games is unbelievable. Yes, we had no computers or internet (al gore was still working on it)so your choice was go to Juarez or go to the UTEP game.  In fact that is how I became interested in NT.  NT played at UTEP and like the uniforms (lol) so I did my research on NT.  I left for Denton after gradation and never looked back and now I have retired in Denton. My only two regrets about living in Denton is the traffic, roads and property taxes.

Good stuff. I use the have season tickets with my dad growing up. Back when UTEP basketball still had Haskins. I use to watch Tim Hardaway & Greg Davis all the time. Denton is awesome. I'd love to retire too! 

Sadly this stuff below is the crap you see outside stadium. (Granted this one brawl made Deadspin.) Grown men too. The crap people yell at you if you wear opposition apparel is ridiculous. We got a lot of racial crap because our area had white and black people in green. (Won't bother explaining as it's not worth repeating. They also thought no one would understand what they said when they switched to Spanglish slang.) They threw stuff every once in a while but the bathroom drunks were the worst. I grew up going to their badketball and football but those days are distant memories. I'd never take my kids back to a game there. Sad. Half my family went there and feel the same. Even more sad.

images.jpeg

Edited by UNTexas