UNT campus construction guide for spring 2018

Skipper

There is currently only room for 6,000 students to live on campus. If we want to see more student involvement at home games North Texas needs to expand the student population that stays on campus. The construction is a pain but it’s great for the university in the long run.  

• Upvote 5

47 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

There is currently only room for 6,000 students to live on campus. If we want to see more student involvement at home games North Texas needs to expand the student population that stays on campus. The construction is a pain but it’s great for the university in the long run.  

No doubt it is a big issue.  I wonder where we compare to UTA, UTD, Texas State, Sam Houston etc...

We came a long way but still have a ways to go.  The more that we have living on campus the better.

I think you have to factor apartments that are nearby into the mix.  It seems like every school leans on those especially for upperclassmen.  You wants as much of your freshman class to live in dorms on campus.  My guess is that the percentages that do that are typically more indoctrinated into traditions, sports, just overall school activities and spirit.

If you guys peek at master plan you will see the University is planning to build dorms like crazy.  

ETA:  In fact, for all you complaining about parking now, just wait.  Sooner or later there will be no parking on this side of I35.  Most of the lots will become buildings/dorms.  It is gonna take 20+ years, but that is the plan.  

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

If you guys peek at master plan you will see the University is planning to build dorms like crazy.  

ETA:  In fact, for all you complaining about parking now, just wait.  Sooner or later there will be no parking on this side of I35.  Most of the lots will become buildings/dorms.  It is gonna take 20+ years, but that is the plan.  

Isn’t the plan to tear down Fouts and turn it into a big parking garage.

7 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

There was 6,600 when I was a hall director when I left in 2012. I know of one dorm built since then that is pretty large so we have to at least be above 7,000. Then we have two more being built right now, yes?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Travis said:

There was 6,600 when I was a hall director when I left in 2012. I know of one dorm built since then that is pretty large so we have to at least be above 7,000. Then we have two more being built right now, yes?

Interesting. I got the stats of student population living on campus from a friend that currently works at the school. I went and checked and all I could find was this from the UNT factbook: 2013-2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Texas

it states that “15.5% of students, or 5,620, live in on-campus residence halls. In addition, 37.3%, or 13,494, live within the city of Denton while 4,021, or 11.1% live outside of the city of Denton but within Denton County and 36.1% or 13,043 students live outside of Denton County.” These numbers are about 5 years old. Yes they have just started building the new residency hall next Kerr. I believe it will house 500 beds and be the the 15th residency hall on campus, it’s currently the only one being built on campus. 

-GMG 

Edited by Salsa_Verde

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Isn’t the plan to tear down Fouts and turn it into a big parking garage.

A parking grarage and also a new bus transfer system...which sounds like a fancy bus stop to me. 

https://ntdaily.com/fouts-field-set-to-be-demolished-in-fall-2018-for-parking-and-bussing/

Edited by Salsa_Verde

11 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

A parking grarage and also a new bus transfer system...which sounds like a fancy bus stop to me. 

https://ntdaily.com/fouts-field-set-to-be-demolished-in-fall-2018-for-parking-and-bussing/

Parking garage, intramural fields, and that fancy bus stop.  The school has plenty of parking... across the highway near the stadium, or at Discovery Park.  They want as many people as possible to not park on the actual campus, they will push parking remotely as as hard as possible.  

For example, if you are a student that parks on the north side of campus, you probably park in the huge lot 7 across from EESAT.  That is going to be turned into two science/lab buildings as soon as the school gets funding.  Where are all those students going to be asked to park?  Across the street or at Disco Park.   How are the going to get on campus?  The bus.  

It's what happens at most large universities in the state.  I remember my brother had to pay $800/semester (in the early 2000s) to park 3 miles from tech and take a bus to campus.   Forget parking anywhere near UT.  You could park near UH, but your car might not be there when you get back.  

11 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Interesting. I got the stats of student population living on campus from a friend that currently works at the school. I went and checked and all I could find was this from the UNT factbook: 2013-2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Texas

it states that “15.5% of students, or 5,620, live in on-campus residence halls. In addition, 37.3%, or 13,494, live within the city of Denton while 4,021, or 11.1% live outside of the city of Denton but within Denton County and 36.1% or 13,043 students live outside of Denton County.” These numbers are about 5 years old. Yes they have just started building the new residency hall next Kerr. I believe it will house 500 beds and be the the 15th residency hall on campus, it’s currently the only one being built on campus. 

-GMG 

I might be a thousand off... it could have been 5,600. But I am pretty sure it was at the 6,000 number. and that was before Rawlins Hall was built which should be about a 400 dorm hall at least. 

• Upvote 1

While we're talking about campus layout, my daughter, who doesn't have a car yet, heavily laments that "The only place I can get grocery-like items around campus is CVS and their selection is crap and they cost about 20% more than the real supermarket."

The retort from one person -- "Well you have a meal plan, what in the WORLD would you need a supermarket for?"

Kid's response -- "My meal plan doesn't cover weekends." 

RIP Sack N Save.  Old people hated you because you weren't pretty, but you did a great job of feeding kids like mine. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Kid's response -- "My meal plan doesn't cover weekends." 

Kerr Hall is open on weekends.   All the others aren't.  

You can either have the Scrappy plan or the Eagle plan for meals.  If your kid is going to be here eating on the weekends then pay for the Eagle plan because it does cover weekends.  

Personally, I think having the Scrappy plan be the lesser of the two plans in an affront to his dignity and  I plan to write my congressman an angry letter.  

5 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Kerr Hall is open on weekends.   All the others aren't.  

You can either have the Scrappy plan or the Eagle plan for meals.  If your kid is going to be here eating on the weekends then pay for the Eagle plan because it does cover weekends.  

Personally, I think having the Scrappy plan be the lesser of the two plans in an affront to his dignity and  I plan to write my congressman an angry letter.  

She doesn't want the weekend plan.  They have flex dollars and whatnot.  But she really, really despises CVS. 

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Forget parking anywhere near UT.

iirc there is no parking on campus, but there are several remote parking garages and the bus system is good.

Don't know if the UNT bus system has improved from when I was there, but on paper it looks like it has. I was on campus yesterday, and it looks like Fouts parking lot is kind of a terminal across the Super Pit.

1 hour ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

FYI, I do believe you can order online from grocery stores around town, and have Uber pick them up and bring them to you.

That doesn't sound like it could compound the price of a 6-pack of ramen noodles 20-fold or anything.

Do y'all not recall the kind of money you had as a college student?   The struggle is real.

24 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That doesn't sound like it could compound the price of a 6-pack of ramen noodles 20-fold or anything.

Do y'all not recall the kind of money you had as a college student?   The struggle is real.

If I'm not mistaken, the delivery fee for Walmart is a flat $9.95.  Therefore partner up with your suite mates and put one big order in for the group of ya and split the delivery fee.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Can’t bum a ride from a friend when they go grocery shopping to save the money? Or even better order it online before hand then ask for a ride/Uber and pick it up and come back

"A little knowledge is a ................."

I find it laughable that an institution that formerly had the stigma of being a "commuter school like UH, UTSA, and UTA" releases these inaccurate statistics as facts. Many students put their parents address as their home even though they live in Denton. A very small percentage of those students that list their homes as Collin County, Dallas County, and Tarrant County actually commute for classes every day, they live around campus and have any college related materials mailed to their parents address.

I'm sure there are rare exceptions but the cost affiliated with commuting with daily parking fees plus the unproductive time wasted driving easily exceed the costs of living around campus and the convenience of walking or busing to campus.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1