Decommitments from The Woodlands

BTG_Fan1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I'd take both of these, but if this is an either/or hypothetical my preference would be Syptak.  I like the AFA, SMU and Army offers.

The other has an FAU offer as well.. I’d be fine picking them both up even with the OL depth issues because they are tackles and have the best offer lists of any OL we have gotten recently

• Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

How many spots do we have left and where do you all think they would be best "spent?"

I'm not sure but I would like to see us be opportunistic with the scholarships we have left.

This team has a major talent deficiency in the front seven. We were pretty bad at stopping the run, rushing the passer and we were outclassed putting our linebackers on running backs on passing downs. I like some of the guys we signed early but lets be real here, it's unlikely any of them are going to be difference makers next season. The JUCO signings look like depth adds at best. Bryce English may help next year but how many years has it been since he stepped on a football field? Now coming off a major injury it would be foolish to just expect him to be an all conference player next season. We will get pushed around again if we don't sign some better players for the front seven, I hope that is our area of focus.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

i love our school and believe it gave us a great education, but it's hard for me to believe that we have any chance on this guy when it looks like every ivy league school but harvard has offered him.

He chose SMU over Ivy league the first time.  I'm betting he'll choose an FBS school again.

From there, it depends on what he wants to study.  Think he'd be interested in accounting?   

52 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I'm not sure but I would like to see us be opportunistic with the scholarships we have left.

This team has a major talent deficiency in the front seven. We were pretty bad at stopping the run, rushing the passer and we were outclassed putting our linebackers on running backs on passing downs. I like some of the guys we signed early but lets be real here, it's unlikely any of them are going to be difference makers next season. The JUCO signings look like depth adds at best. Bryce English may help next year but how many years has it been since he stepped on a football field? Now coming off a major injury it would be foolish to just expect him to be an all conference player next season. We will get pushed around again if we don't sign some better players for the front seven, I hope that is our area of focus.

I totally agree.  We will have about 17 scholarship offensive linemen and a few more walkons after NSD.  Only three are seniors and eight will be freshmen.

On the other side of the ball we will lose our currently two top defensive linemen and two top linebackers.  English (if he can shake the rust off) and Hamilton will return on the line but Krasniqi is possibly the only other non-senior who has shown a lot of potential.  Linebacking is about as bad.  After Ejiya and Garner graduate next year only Fulp looks really promising and will weigh more than 215 pounds. We desperately need quality help with size at that position.  

So, unless a 3-4 star cornerback is uncommitted, I hope that we spend whatever scholarships are available on the defensive front seven.

1 hour ago, Green Crazy said:

i love our school and believe it gave us a great education, but it's hard for me to believe that we have any chance on this guy when it looks like every ivy league school but harvard has offered him.

It has been explained to me before that you have to take Ivy League and Academy offers with a grain of salt.  They are legitimate offers but do not mean the kid has been accepted to those schools which is the bigger hurdle.  From the players stand point it pads their offer list and let’s other schools know you are not an academic risk.  

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

How many spots do we have left and where do you all think they would be best "spent?"

We have 17 commits, JD is not sure about Carroll so that could be 1 spot (but Carroll told the newspaper back in Dec during his HS Playoff run he would sign in Feb), and the OL from Aubrey Redfearn is a blueshirt..

We should have around 20 scholarships, but that number has bounced around when it comes to who was Blue-shirted and that.

So 4 open scholarships, with a potential 5th depending on Carroll.. but again no one is completely sure. 

3 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I totally agree.  We will have about 17 scholarship offensive linemen and a few more walkons after NSD.  Only three are seniors and eight will be freshmen.

On the other side of the ball we will lose our currently two top defensive linemen and two top linebackers.  English (if he can shake the rust off) and Hamilton will return on the line but Krasniqi is possibly the only other non-senior who has shown a lot of potential.  Linebacking is about as bad.  After Ejiya and Garner graduate next year only Fulp looks really promising and will weigh more than 215 pounds. We desperately need quality help with size at that position.  

So, unless a 3-4 star cornerback is uncommitted, I hope that we spend whatever scholarships are available on the defensive front seven.

Just wondering, keep hearing comments about how many O linemen  we have on the roster. Any chance any of these guys can move to the D line?

• Lovely Take 1

15 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Just wondering, keep hearing comments about how many O linemen  we have on the roster. Any chance any of these guys can move to the D line?

Nothing has been said, but we have 2 JUCO DL already on campus, LeBlanc is coming as well.. then we have Shaw as well who committed at the end of the early signing period... 

The Aubrey OL has solid DL tape would be a solid addition if he flipped sides of the ball.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

It has been explained to me before that you have to take Ivy League and Academy offers with a grain of salt.  They are legitimate offers but do not mean the kid has been accepted to those schools which is the bigger hurdle.  From the players stand point it pads their offer list and let’s other schools know you are not an academic risk.  

Ivy league doesn't give athletic scholarships, so not every kid that gets an Ivy league offer can afford to go, or maybe choose not to spend 200-250K on education when they can get a good one for free.  The real benefit is a good athlete that is very smart can get an inside track to getting admitted to an Ivy League school in situations where they might not have gotten admitted.  Still have to be really smart and have a 30-31 ACT for the athletics to help them get in.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

Ivy league doesn't give athletic scholarships, so not every kid that gets an Ivy league offer can afford to go, or maybe choose not to spend 200-250K on education when they can get a good one for free.  The real benefit is a good athlete that is very smart can get an inside track to getting admitted to an Ivy League school in situations where they might not have gotten admitted.  Still have to be really smart and have a 30-31 ACT for the athletics to help them get in.

Agreed, I believe we are on the same side of the fence on this one.  Ivy coaches can only offer players in the hopes that they can be admitted but that is far from a forgone conclusion. The offer helps the players chances of being accepted but for most their chances are still slim.  Also while they do not offer athletic scholarships they almost always find scholarship money for an incoming student.  I believe I read that the typical Ivy League student only pays about 1/3 of the stated tuition.  

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This question is brought up almost every year, mostly by me, yet I don't recall a player switching sides of the ball in a long time, maybe ever. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, meangreanmick said:

They move their scholarships into other categories but it can still cost you some bucks. Also they have summer internships with companies during the summer which can add up to $30 to 40k a year. out of that they would have to pay for your lodgings.