DRC: Thomas Preston III high on UNT after visit

Brett Vito

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Good info.  We’re fixing to find out how well we fare against LaTech on a head to head which should be interesting.

Yep will be a solid addition if we can get Preston and Williams the Indy JUCO Tackle. 

Also, sounds like we are top dogs with us offering a scholarship now instead of him waiting

• Upvote 1

Just to put things in perspective he had offers from 

FCS:  Northern Colorado, SE Louisiana, Eastern Illinois, Murray State, Florida A&M, Alabama A&M,  Samford, SE Missouri St, Tennessee Tech, Northern Arizona, Fordham,  Youngstown State, Arkansas- Pine Bluff, Indiana State, University of Tennesee Martin, Saint Francis,  Maine, Portland State, Abilene Christian, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois, North Carolina Ag and Tech State University,

FBS: New Mexico State, UTEP, Kent State, Akron, UNT, Ohio 

why are we not more more excited than we are?? 6 FBS offers, 22 FCS offers.  Kid can obviously ball. KU and Oregon state showed a lot of interest, think he was just lower on the board. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Just to put things in perspective he had offers from 

FCS:  Northern Colorado, SE Louisiana, Eastern Illinois, Murray State, Florida A&M, Alabama A&M,  Samford, SE Missouri St, Tennessee Tech, Northern Arizona, Fordham,  Youngstown State, Arkansas- Pine Bluff, Indiana State, University of Tennesee Martin, Saint Francis,  Maine, Portland State, Abilene Christian, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois, North Carolina Ag and Tech State University,

why are we not more more excited than we are?? 6 FBS offers, 22 FCS offers.  Kid can obviously ball. KU and Oregon state showed a lot of interest, think he was just lower on the board. 

UTEP has turned out solid OL, I wonder when this offer was extended.. if it was the old UTEP it’s very encouraging as well

4 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I am good with this signee because I trust Solich.  Other than that, what's to get excited about? We are trying to elevate ourselves above the NMSUs, UTEPs and Akrons of the world, not compete with them.  They are not what I think of when I think mid-to-top tier G5 programs.

• Downvote 4

57 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I am good with this signee because I trust Solich.  Other than that, what's to get excited about? We are trying to elevate ourselves above the NMSUs, UTEPs and Akrons of the world, not compete with them.  They are not what I think of when I think mid-to-top tier G5 programs.

The fact that 6 other fbs schools wanted him and over 20 fcs wanted him.  I’m good with this pick up bc if that many coaches think he can play then he should plan out.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

The fact that 6 other fbs schools wanted him and over 20 fcs wanted him.  I’m good with this pick up bc if that many coaches think he can play then he should plan out.

I guess it depends on who you’re asking.  I think this is a solid signee, but I think if you want something “exciting”, you’d like to see offers from other schools that are competing for FBS conference titles.  Whether there are 2 or 100 FCS offers is almost irrelevant to the level we are shooting for.

If Bama signs a kid with no SEC offers but 20 Belt/MAC/CUSA offers, do you expect their fan base to get “excited”?

Edited by greenminer
  • Downvote 1

I wish I had more time.  I'd look at the 2deeps in the OL and DLs among T25 G5 programs.

What percentage of their two deep linemen had 10+ FBS offers?
Where were the offers from?
Did they have one or two studs that took them over the top?
Were there any trends.  Ex: Did all of them have at least 10 guys on each side of the ball with X number of FBS offers?
Were there any outliers? Ex: Is there a program that got away with having < 3 guys with X number of FBS offers?

• 2 weeks later...

So, I just noticed that his last school, Scottsdale CC, is the "Fighting Artichokes".  I think I read of this before in a list someone made of strange athletic mascots, but am surprised that we will be seeing an ex Artichoke on our sideline.  And Fighting Artichoke to Mean Green Eagle.  Hey, these are names that I find hard to forget.

On 1/15/2018 at 8:11 PM, greenminer said:

I assume other schools do this, but NT seems to frequently leak a recruit's name and that player becomes a "got to have" by the fans despite his overall rating.  Then when he commits most are happy although few if any have ever heard of that recruit before.

NT and Littrell still have a long long way to go to get recruiting were it needs to be to sustain a good program on a continuous basis.  Recruiting this year has significantly improved, as early Littrell, late Dickey and all of McCarty seldom signed anyone with multiple FBS offers. Even more positive is that most of Littrell's signees do contribute.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1