Kiffin factor Keeps Seth Here Longer?

Mike Jackson

Time for some fun “pure speculation”.  I started thinking today; what if Kiffin stays a FAU 3 more years and dominates the conference?  How will that impact Seth’s timeline here?  Will he stay longer to get a CUSA championship on his resume?  Now this is assuming success similar to last year.  An undefeated regular  run against all G5 level opponents except FAU (assuming we lose to them in the CUSA championship game 3 more times also) still has him extremely marketable and likely to leave sooner rather than later.  Also I think it goes without saying that Seth needs to preside over a team that plays consistent decent (upper half of conference) defense to get some of the best P5 jobs offered to him.  What do you think?  Does Kiffin dominating Seth keeps Seth here longer or no impact?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Don’t think that SL stays, just to get a conference championship, but I do think LK will have an impact on G5 coaches. LK has coached at major programs and major media markets, and him settling down at FAU just shows he is waiting for that 1 job or he is truly happy at FAU.. 

You have to think, if you can have success at FAU the recruits will come even if it’s a G5 (just look at last years class and FIU with 2 4* DTs). Not having the pressure, media, etc of a Bama, OU, etc is a huge as well if the school can invest in the program as well. 

Also, SL dream job seem to be OU, and that is held by Riley... and I have no idea if Riley would even consider leaving and if he did, where too? 

SL is a smart guy, but I do think he will be around for the foreseeable future.

• Upvote 3

LK is gone after this year if he has similar success, so that breaks up your speculation a bit. However, your speculation is true in the meaning that SL is coaching in Lane Kiffin's shadow. Once Kiffin gets plucked, the next man in line in this conference at this point in time would have to be SL. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Honestly if the right opp comes open or the right job wants him they aren’t going to care about how shit the defense was. As soon as the first 3-4 million job offers SL he is gone IMO. And I don’t blame him one bit. 

I don’t think it is as simple as the dollars offered especially anything in the 3-4 million dollar range.  There are some programs in the SEC that no younger coach with an interest in stability should touch.  There are also about 10 P5 program that are virtually impossible legitimately compete for a conference title at no matter how good a coach you are.   Places like Kansas, Indiana, Colorado, Minnesota, Vandy, Kentucky, Purdue and  Rutgers to name a few.  But of course there is dollar figure that can entice any coach to go anywhere but for Seth I would think that would start at 4.5 million or above.  If I were his agent at the end of next year I would advise him only consider 4.5 million offers or above if he were considering taking one of the more difficult programs to win at that have a track record of giving coaches less than 5 years to win.

57 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I don’t think it is as simple as the dollars offered especially anything in the 3-4 million dollar range.  There are some programs in the SEC that no younger coach with an interest in stability should touch.  There are also about 10 P5 program that are virtually impossible legitimately compete for a conference title at no matter how good a coach you are.   Places like Kansas, Indiana, Colorado, Minnesota, Vandy, Kentucky, Purdue and  Rutgers to name a few.  But of course there is dollar figure that can entice any coach to go anywhere but for Seth I would think that would start at 4.5 million or above.  If I were his agent at the end of next year I would advise him only consider 4.5 million offers or above if he were considering taking one of the more difficult programs to win at that have a track record of giving coaches less than 5 years to win.

Colorado was in the Pac12 champions 2 years ago and a top 10 team.. 

Kansas pays its HC 1.6 compared to SL at 1.0M..

Minnesota bought out the WKU coach...

the programs listed could see an uptick if they are invested in. 

8 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Colorado was in the Pac12 champions 2 years ago and a top 10 team.. 

Kansas pays its HC 1.6 compared to SL at 1.0M..

Minnesota bought out the WKU coach...

the programs listed could see an uptick if they are invested in. 

That is why I said virtually impossible.  Even Kansas had a great and was highly ranked one year  And a few of these places can’t afford to pay a head coach over 3 million and pay the qualified and talented support staff too come on board with that coach.  The top dogs in those conferences can always out spend those programs and won’t stay down for long.  These are just programs I would steer my client away from as an agent.  Some more so than others obviously.

Edited by Mike Jackson

8 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

LK is gone after this year if he has similar success, so that breaks up your speculation a bit. However, your speculation is true in the meaning that SL is coaching in Lane Kiffin's shadow. Once Kiffin gets plucked, the next man in line in this conference at this point in time would have to be SL. 

Kiffin didn't even get a sniff this year. He will have to go at least 2-3 years of consistent success with no major issues to get a Power 5 job. Schools watched how things ended at Tennessee and USC (and to some degree Alabama). IMO, he's a damn good coach but he'll have to proof to be worth the risk. 

7 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Getting blown out by a Sun Belt team in a bowl game and finishing seasons poorly is what is keeping Littrell here longer...

Said the LSU boosters??? Oh never mind that doesn't fit your narrative.  Crappy second half killed us... 

10-0 half 17-7 3rd quarter LSU GAME 

29-20 half 43-23 3rd quarter.  UNT game.  So our offense scored and defense came up short in stops.   Which of those scores would you take? Troy neutral site in bowl game or homecome game in SEC

Oh and I wanted to win the bowl game as much as next guy, but anyone with non green goggles or hating goggles knew Troy was about as tough a draw as possible. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Said the LSU boosters??? Oh never mind that doesn't fit your narrative.  Crappy second half killed us... 

29-20 half 43-23 3rd quarter.  UNT game.  So our offense scored and defense came up short in stops.   Which of those scores would you take? Troy neutral site in bowl game or homecome game in SEC

Oh and I wanted to win the bowl game as much as next guy, but anyone with non green goggles or hating goggles knew Troy was about as tough a draw as possible. 

1) Most knew Troy was a tough draw. 

2) Offense sputtered in that game, period. 

3) SL hasn't finished a season strong yet. 

I would say these are facts. 

6 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

Kiffin didn't even get a sniff this year. He will have to go at least 2-3 years of consistent success with no major issues to get a Power 5 job. Schools watched how things ended at Tennessee and USC (and to some degree Alabama). IMO, he's a damn good coach but he'll have to proof to be worth the risk. 

A desperate university will reach out to him in 2018 if he again is a 10 win coach. The media isn't letting this candle burn out. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Outside of UNT’s very small fan base, No one cared what kind of draw Troy was, and no one cared about this game.

Until they saw UNT got blown out by Sun Belt team. Then they just shook their head and said “same old UNT.”

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Outside of UNT’s very small fan base, No one cared what kind of draw Troy was, and no one cared about this game.

Until they saw UNT got blown out by Sun Belt team. Then they just shook their head and said “same old UNT.”

#sameol90 #narrative #glassisbrokennothalfempty

Edited by Silent Eagle
Yep
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Bowl game ratings prove you wrong. Don't you have a guitar playing gig with Gary Patterson to attend?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2