Is it time to revisit the twitter rules for recruiting?

Harry

I know that we have tried to be extra carefully about reminding fans to be careful on social media...

It seems to me that these rules are not being followed by some of the biggest programs.  An example can be seen here:

Pay particular attention to the likes and comments.  There are over 1300 in just a day and please don't tell me there is not one booster or alum that is in the mix.  What I see is that social media is becoming a key piece in a prospect's choice of schools. They can build a following on twitter off of their commitment to a given school.   Are we taking an ostrich mentality to this phenomenon?

Understand, the last thing I want to do is  get our program in trouble.  And I do understand that the crooked NCAA will use a smaller program to make an example of.  I just wonder if we shouldn't take a closer look at what the rules are and if a coordinated social media effort would not be beneficial for a school like ours. GMG

I say, proceed with Twitter and if anyone gets "caught" and punished by the ncaa, then sue the $hite out of them, site other examples and expose them for the hypocrites they are. Twitter is an entity that can't be controlled by anyone, so carry on.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The problem is when they do decide to make an "example" of a program you know it will not be one of the "Big Boys".

I get that.  It just seems like if we could harness our social media capabilities it could have a positive effect. 

That was just one example.  I saw a video of a recruit who was specifically talking about how he built a large twitter following of fans as a prospect and how that was part of his strategy to get to the NFL.  I know not everyone is on board with twitter and facebook et al but I am here to tell you it is a POWERFUL tool.

30 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The problem is when they do decide to make an "example" of a program you know it will not be one of the "Big Boys".

Because of the public nature of Twitter and how out there the information is, there is no possible way to punish a single program for this and not get themselves into a huge nightmare. They would have to punish all if they do punish. I would imagine that they would be more likely to send out a general warning to everyone if they do anything. I think the more likely scenario is that they do absolutely nothing.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Harry said:

I know that we have tried to be extra carefully about reminding fans to be careful on social media...

It seems to me that these rules are not being followed by some of the biggest programs.  An example can be seen here:

Pay particular attention to the likes and comments.  There are over 1300 in just a day and please don't tell me there is not one booster or alum that is in the mix.  What I see is that social media is becoming a key piece in a prospect's choice of schools. They can build a following on twitter off of their commitment to a given school.   Are we taking an ostrich mentality to this phenomenon?

Understand, the last thing I want to do is  get our program in trouble.  And I do understand that the crooked NCAA will use a smaller program to make an example of.  I just wonder if we shouldn't take a closer look at what the rules are and if a coordinated social media effort would not be beneficial for a school like ours. GMG

Really wish/hope we could push and look into this more as a fan base. It could be a potentially huge advantage with our fan base and notable sports media personal all over DFW because if they perform it will only lead to more UNT coverage.

. @AustinFromUNT has tweeted repeatedly at WB asking him if UNT would/could do a fan meeting on what is and isn’t allowed in terms of recruiting, but never gotten a reply I believe. I do think a meeting from the AD office on what is/isn’t allowed would be great and a way for WB/SL also to communicate with fans as well (and potentially be an event for season tickets sales or donations).

I do think it has hurt us at times the lack of support a recruit could get from a UNT offer compared to other schools, but it’s not the specific reason we lost someone. 

I also, hope we can have more respectful fans as well if we do decide to turn up the twitter performance. The negative comments about recruits going else where (like Thompson to Vandy) only hurt us.

• Upvote 1

3. Social Media prowess can drive recruiting decisions

A top 2018 quarterback recruit said, “it’s important for me personally to someday have a million followers. That’s a big goal I know I can get at a place like (university redacted).”

Recruiting success for college programs has traditionally hinged on factors like player-coach relationships, location, on-field success, and potential for early playing time. While these factors remain at the forefront, social media prestige has entered the picture. Programs today are devoting more and more assets to the expansion and improvement their social presence.

Beyond the program’s own social presence, athletes like the aforementioned quarterback recruit are increasingly interested in how their potential school will help them build their personal brand. Rather than simply telling athletes what not to do, recruits today are in search of forward thinking programs that offer expert advice, the freedom to maximize their social impact, and access to share the high quality that the program is likely already creating.

Read more:

http://opendorse.com/blog/social-media-disrupted-college-football-recruiting/

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Read more:

This is new to me, but it makes sense.  You could say we are moving beyond a culture of selfies into a culture of personal branding.

I don't know if I want recruits like this on my team, even though I know it will be unavoidable.  It seems to me on the same spectrum of where Carlos Harris was.  IDK, maybe some good can come of it that I'm not thinking of.

Kids aren't just thinking about NFL aspirations anymore, they are thinking about personal image and how they can play future income/business opportunities from it.

PS: didn't read the article, yet, just your quote.  Will def read later.

• Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

A top 2018 quarterback recruit said, “it’s important for me personally to someday have a million followers. That’s a big goal I know I can get at a place like (university redacted).”

Recruiting success for college programs has traditionally hinged on factors like player-coach relationships, location, on-field success, and potential for early playing time. While these factors remain at the forefront, social media prestige has entered the picture. Programs today are devoting more and more assets to the expansion and improvement their social presence.

Beyond the program’s own social presence, athletes like the aforementioned quarterback recruit are increasingly interested in how their potential school will help them build their personal brand. Rather than simply telling athletes what not to do, recruits today are in search of forward thinking programs that offer expert advice, the freedom to maximize their social impact, and access to share the high quality that the program is likely already creating.

Read more:

After reading that quote I feel like yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN" as loud as I possibly can at that kid.

Holy crap!! ...we're all freaking doomed.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Harry said:

Read more:

I read this after I posted the ego stroke post. But do you see? Kids are like this in this day and age. It's eccentric and blatantly and openly self centered. That's the new age "kid". 

And to be honest social media is a significant reason for it. Psychologists are stating that never in the history of mankind has the adolescent population been more self conscious, more perceptually influenced, and lived their life through the thoughts and reactions of other people. It is a self assurance and reassurance generation.  

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I read this after I posted the ego stroke post. But do you see? Kids are like this in this day and age. It's eccentric and blatantly and openly self centered. That's the new age "kid". 

And to be honest social media is a significant reason for it. Psychologists are stating that never in the history of mankind has the adolescent population been more self conscious, more perceptually influenced, and lived their life through the thoughts and reactions of other people. It is a self assurance and reassurance generation.  

Yep, and it has done more harm than good.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Love Ben Baby, and he is a good writer and represents the University so well.  I just have to respectably disagree with him on this.  "Twitter has no impact on recruiting"? I'm sorry but Twitter has impacted recruiting a lot.  Just look at how many recruits announce their favorite schools and final school choices on twitter before anywhere else.  Before twitter it was done primarily through newspapers and recruiting sites.  It has given recruits a personal public forum that wasn't available to them prior to Twitter.   AD Departments are spending tons of time and money on Twitter strategy.

My point was not to argue whether Twitter has an impact, rather that the fans and boosters are using twitter as a way to engage with prospects and whether or not the rules of twitter engagement really apply in reality. 

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

I just have to respectably disagree with him on this.  "Twitter has no impact on recruiting"? I'm sorry but Twitter has impacted recruiting a lot.  Just look at how many recruits announce their favorite schools and final school choices on twitter before anywhere else. 

Splitting hairs here, but your example has nothing to do with how they make their decision.  That's just an announcement.

Twitter has always been a part of the process, but it is more evident than ever that it is playing into where recruits decide to go.  not just announcements after-the-fact.

59 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Splitting hairs here, but your example has nothing to do with how they make their decision.

If a recruit announces his top 3 and 1 of the 3 gives him 1000 followers and the other 2 give him 500 how can we be certain this does not have an impact?  I am not saying it is the only reason, playing time, conferences, coaches, parents, location all play a part of course. 

Or how about the teammate that posts, "congrats on the offer but you will have better ones coming soon.."

Or which AD puts out the neatest looking graphic image of the player on twitter?

You are correct in the fact that it would be hard to prove what exactly impacts the final decision but to say that twitter doesn't have some impact on the process seems naive.

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

One thing I've noticed is the amount of current recruits tweeting at other guys that get offers from us. I think that is a positive development that more emphasis has been put on since Littrell got here.

Yep, it’s great seeing Williams, Davis, Martin, Gibbs working other recruits.. 

also, SL has been more active as well of late (but question the last few days).

Edited by BTG_Fan1

• 2 weeks later...

I will follow a kid, like his tweets about us and retweet his offer tweet with some words about how great he is and that we offfered him. I do not reply to tweets so I’m not technically  talking to the player, I’m talking my followers about the player. The recruit appreciates it and I never actually contacted him. Win win in my mind. 

I saw the other day that Manziel tweet directly to a recruit and that Littrell started retweeting offer tweets so I think we are good.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2