President prefers Norwegian immigrants

"It is much easier to act presidential than what we are doing here tonight, believe me," Trump assured his audience. "With the exception of the late, great Abraham Lincoln, I can be more presidential than any president that's ever held this office."

The most presidential. 

• Haha 2

To be fair, not everyone found President Trump's comment about 'Shithole countries' offensive:

“spoke blunt, hard truth.”  David Duke, former Grand Wizard KKK

if the French dominated Haiti, “they could make it great again.” Richard Spencer, commenting on our President's statement

“encouraging and refreshing, as it indicates Trump is more or less on the same page as us with regards to race and immigration.”  Neo-Nazi website Daily Stormer.

These comments were reported on Fox - http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/12/politics/trump-latest/index.html

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Anyone here ever been to Haiti? No, I have not, but everything I read and see reflects a very poor and "troubled" nation void of any real leadership and having leaders for years that did nothing for their people, but rather line their own pockets.  Sean Penn aside, this place is a shambles and was before the hurricane.

Now, calling it a "shi...hole" is out of line, if in fact that is what happened, but the place reeks of corruption, extreme poverty and any real leadership focused on fixing the real life day to day challenges met by its citizens. a great many of its citizens depend upon the aid of nations such as the United States to even be able to survive. That does not say a lot of good things about the nation's leadership.

Haiti needs a real leader to step forward to say..."enough is enough", and to focus on the real needs of its citizens.  There are enough beautiful sights and history in that nation to reap plenty of benefits from tourism.  Incentives could be provided for foreign investment to create industry and jobs that would employ local citizens and provide a much higher wage than currently earned, etc., etc.  Heck, they could even turn it into a gambling mecca like Las Vegas or something similar.  Haiti has ports deep enough for container ships and tankers and cruise liners.  

There is nothing, except past history and corruption and a reliance on foreign aid, that says Haiti cannot become a self-sustain decent economic engine in the Caribbean. The ONLY thing holding Haiti back is Haiti itself.  But, of course the same can be said for many cities in the United States and several other nations around the world.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

What Haiti is or African countries... is not the issue.... it is about his obscene classless comment and lack of respect for others.......  He has a history of insulting so many groups and people and calling people insulting  names like a sixth-grade bully. His conduct with women is not to be admired either. 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 4

To be fair, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when my (and probably some others' here) ancestors from European countries came here, for people in their economic class, Ireland, France, Germany, Scotland, and even England could have been considered "shitholes." (Again, maybe not for the upper echelons at that time, but certainly for those in the lower class.) I think another side of the issue is why we should concern ourselves with which country people emigrate from rather than whether they are willing to put in the effort to create a life and future here.

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, untbowler said:

yawn if you Libs would read context, he had just met with Norwegian PM, but don't let context get in the way. Why would we not want to bring in some 1st World Immigrants to balance out the asylum seekers from the 3rd World Banana Republics. 

You seem to have missed the point.  Our president used a term that was unnecessary.  A term that could not be expected to improve our relationships with the countries in question.  A term that could be interpreted as racist & xenophobic.

It's a shame you aren't one of Mr. Trump's advisors, he could have used the phrase '3rd World Banana Republic' - much more elegant.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

"MLK's Niece Says It's 'Outrageous' That Critics 'Unjustly' Call Trump Racist"

https://www.dailywire.com/news/25879/mlks-niece-says-its-outrageous-critics-unjustly-joseph-curl?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro

"People were saying that President Trump has called Haiti and Africa a bad word. No, he was referring to the corruption in those countries that needs to be fixed. They actually are hellholes over there because of the stranglehold of corruption."

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

49 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

"People were saying that President Trump has called Haiti and Africa a bad word. No, he was referring to the corruption in those countries that needs to be fixed. They actually are hellholes over there because of the stranglehold of corruption."

No, the president was not lamenting the corruption, he was asking why we're bringing people from those countries to the US.  See the original Fox News report - http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/11/trump-laments-immigration-from-s-hole-countries-in-oval-office-negotiations.html

And Really Rick, the Daily Wire?

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-daily-wire/

Edited by GTWT
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, GTWT said:

No, the president was not lamenting the corruption, he was asking why we're bringing people from those countries to the US.  See the original Fox News report - http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/11/trump-laments-immigration-from-s-hole-countries-in-oval-office-negotiations.html

And Really Rick, the Daily Wire?

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-daily-wire/

Really?  Your suddenly concerned about media bias?  LOL!  That's pretty funny.

Rick  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

27 minutes ago, GTWT said:

I know.  My source was Fox News. 

And mine was too...which, if you hadnt shit your pants being in a hurry to criticise and scrolled down far enough to see the Twitter link of Ms. King defending Trump on Fox you would have seen it.

Rick.  

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

On 1/11/2018 at 6:26 PM, GTWT said:

There's been a lot of unpresidential behavior during this and the last administration.

Unfortunately, it appears that is likely to continue into the foreseeable future. Obama kicked open the door of under qualified candidates, Trump ran through it and I don't think our current climate will readily allow a return to the older state so we will probably keep seeing unpresidential behavior even after this administration.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

8 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

There's been a lot of unpresidential behavior during this and the last administration.

Unfortunately, it appears that is likely to continue into the foreseeable future. Obama kicked open the door of under qualified candidates, Trump ran through it and I don't think our current climate will readily allow a return to the older state so we will probably keep seeing unpresidential behavior even after this administration.

At least Obama was a Senator from Illinois who knew how politics worked.

I think; actually, I HOPE, we're all learning a valuable lesson over these past 2 years:
Just because a dude isn't a politician doesn't mean he's a better option than a politician.   
Everyone who loved/loves this guy, loved/loves him because he's a political "outsider", and doesn't think like a politician.  Well, unfortunately, that also comes with a general lack of thinking before speaking.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

40 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

At least Obama was a Senator from Illinois who knew how politics worked.

I think; actually, I HOPE, we're all learning a valuable lesson over these past 2 years:
Just because a dude isn't a politician doesn't mean he's a better option than a politician.   
Everyone who loved/loves this guy, loved/loves him because he's a political "outsider", and doesn't think like a politician.  Well, unfortunately, that also comes with a general lack of thinking before speaking.

Obama had his share of shooting from the lip.

With the current deeply divided partisan political climate we have I doubt we will see a correction anytime soon. Both parties are either somewhat or completely reluctant to correct bad actors in their own ranks. Impolitic statements are likely to continue in a climate where much worse transgressions are covered up or ignored.

• Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Yeah remember when Obama used Dijon mustard and wore a tan suit? So unpresidential. Also remember when he was born in Kenya? Oh and his wife had strong arms and she dared to show them off? Remember when a half-black guy dared to be in the White House?

Thank you for adding that to what might have been a civil and productive discussion. I'd really hate for everyone to miss out on some of the bitter partisanship.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I intentionally turned that phrase since I was referring to the shared trait of speaking in an unpresidential manner, thus the use of 'lip' instead of 'hip'.

He is considered by most sane people to be one of the most eloquent speakers we've ever had as a president. Besides being biased for some ....unforeseen reason .....what facts do you have that would back up that you believe he to be an unpresidential-like speaker?