Dennis Parker retires

GrandGreen

Good man, dumb coach.

EDIT:  for those confused about my "dumb coach", you would understand if you were here to watch his first season.   Parents weekend game and Homecoming were both loss due to dumb decisions.

For example ... one of those games we tie the game with about 15 seconds remaining.  Paker decides to onside kick. 

With so little time remaining what are the odds that we recover, get into field goal range, and kick a winning field goal?  What are the odds that the other team recovers the onsides kick, hits one pass play, and kick a game winning field goal of their own?  I'll give you a moment to calculate the different odds.  

[cue Jeopardy theme]

What actually happened?  The other team recovered the onside kick, hit one pass play, and kicked a game winning field goal.

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Good man, dumb coach.

His overall record here was 11-21-1.  He also was the coach that saw the talent of Mitch Maher and then brought him on board.

Todd Dodge's overall record was 6-37. 

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

A very good man.  Wish him well.

29 minutes ago, Harry said:

A very good man.  Wish him well.

Totally agree.

5 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

His overall record here was 11-21-1.  He also was the coach that saw the talent of Mitch Maher and then brought him on board.

Todd Dodge's overall record was 6-37. 

Totally agree.

I'll give him selecting Mitch Maher but winning five more games than Dodge is not something that helps his case at all.  

2 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Good man, dumb coach.

EDIT:  for those confused about my "dumb coach", you would understand if you were here to watch his first season.   Parents weekend game and Homecoming were both loss due to dumb decisions.

For example ... one of those games we tie the game with about 15 seconds remaining.  Paker decides to onside kick. 

With so little time remaining what are the odds that we recover, get into field goal range, and kick a winning field goal?  What are the odds that the other team recovers the onsides kick, hits one pass play, and kick a game winning field goal of their own?  I'll give you a moment to calculate the different odds.  

[cue Jeopardy theme]

What actually happened?  The other team recovered the onside kick, hit one pass play, and kicked a game winning field goal.

I don't understand your comment at all, and I saw all Parker's NT home games plus some travel.  What you describe is dumb only because it didn't work.   I assume if he had normally kicked the ball and the other team scored that would also be a dumb decision.  If you watch Parker teams you would know he was very aggressive and yes it sometime resulted in some very bad consequences.

I am not so sure I would call a two time high school state champion coach at the highest level a "dumb" coach.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Good man, dumb coach.

[cue Jeopardy theme]

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't understand your comment at all, and I saw all Parker's NT home games plus some travel.  What you describe is dumb only because it didn't work.   I assume if he had normally kicked the ball and the other team scored that would also be a dumb decision.  If you watch Parker teams you would know he was very aggressive and yes it sometime resulted in some very bad consequences.

I am not so sure I would call a two time high school state champion coach at the highest level a "dumb" coach.  

In fairness, we are talking about a time before there was any overtime.  And back then, coaches were always supposed to play for the win...never for the tie.

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

In fairness, we are talking about a time before there was any overtime.  And back then, coaches were always supposed to play for the win...never for the tie.

You are wrong about never playing for a time.  It's a nice sentiment but not true.

The odds of recovering an onside kick ... completing a long pass ... kicking a long field goal ... all in 15 seconds is highly, highly unlikely.  The odds of the other team recoverng the onside kick ... gaining at least ten yards ... kicking a long field goal is much, much more likely. 

Parker put his team in an almost impossible situation to win and gave the other team a terrific opportunity to steal a win.  That's poor coaching and dumb decision making. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Even if it miraculously worked it would still have been a bad decision.

I know he had tremendous success at the high school level but I watched him for two seasons and saw lost of dumb decisions that put our team in bad situations and cost us games.  Perhaps "over his head" is a better description? 

After Todd Dodge, who is my least favorite head coach in UNT's football history?  Dennis Parker.  

4 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I'll give him selecting Mitch Maher but winning five more games than Dodge is not something that helps his case at all.  

Mitch was good but don't forget players like Troy Redwine or All Americans/NFL players like Toby Gowin. There's others too.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

You are wrong about never playing for a time.  It's a nice sentiment but not true.

I assume you mean "tie"?  By what I said, I didn't mean coaches never did.  But the expectation was always for the coach to go for the win.

A famous example of a coach playing for a tie was in 1966 when Ara Parseghian deliberately ran out to clock to hold on for the tie rather than risk a turnover.  He was ripped to shreds (figuratively, anyway) by the media and Notre Dame fans for going for the tie.

Except in particular circumstances--e.g., kicking a field goal down 3 with time expiring with the ball outside the 5--playing for the win was the general expectation.  That's why they had the 2-point conversation for decades before the NFL did.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with Coach Parker's decision.  And for all of us, hindsight is 20-20.  But I think your accusations of his "dumbness" need a little more context.

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

That play sure sounds dumb to me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Good man, dumb coach.

[cue Jeopardy theme]

You left out the worst mistake that happened earlier in that game, where on a drive deep in their territory we threw the ball away out the back of the endzone on 4th down(instead of kicking a FG)...because we mistakingly thought it was 3rd down.  

I'm sitting there pulling my hair out asking myself....."And this is who we chose over the great Paul Johnson??????".  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Travis said:

That play sure sounds dumb to me. 

OK, why do you consider it dumb?  It is actually a play that the majority of coaches would have called.  Or do you think anyone that would go for a win instead of a tie is dumb?

I remember one play that NT ran under Parker were he went for a fourth and double digit yards inside his own 30 yard against Oklahoma.  This was not a case of going for it late in the game with nothing to lose.   I think NT actually made a first, but it still was a crazy call. 

Also surprised no one has brought up the infamous center snapping the ball on a punt with no punter on the field which I believe was a Parker team.  

I never stated his NT teams didn't have some downright weird plays, they did.   He like Dodge was completely out of his depth at the college level. 

I will also add I doubt anyone that talked to Parker for any time would use the adjective dumb when referring to him.   

• Downvote 2

He came here because of NTSU administration and there lack of support for athletics...their the dumb ones. Some have great success at the HS level and some at college. Unfortunately, he couldn't make the transition. Did we learn from our mistake????Nope..had to go thru this again didn't we.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

OK, why do you consider it dumb?  It is actually a play that the majority of coaches would have called.  Or do you think anyone that would go for a win instead of a tie is dumb?

I remember one play that NT ran under Parker were he went for a fourth and double digit yards inside his own 30 yard against Oklahoma.  This was not a case of going for it late in the game with nothing to lose.   I think NT actually made a first, but it still was a crazy call. 

Also surprised no one has brought up the infamous center snapping the ball on a punt with no punter on the field which I believe was a Parker team.  

I never stated his NT teams didn't have some downright weird plays, they did.   He like Dodge was completely out of his depth at the college level. 

I will also add I doubt anyone that talked to Parker for any time would use the adjective dumb when referring to him.   

I'd say dumb is going for low percentage of success plays when you don't have to.  It is kind of like inbounding the basketball and lobbing up a full court shot in a tied game when there is 8 minutes left on the clock. It just doesn't make sense and it isn't a recipe for success.  Clearly, he wasn't 'successful'.

Coach Parker had a promotion idea that never got off the ground.

He was going to have an Eagle's nest, an eyrie constructed in the south end zone of Fouts.  After a significant win, The player of the game was to place an "egg' in the eyrie with the opponent's name and the date.  The idea was when future teams would visit with older teams, the question would be, "How many eggs did you guys put in the eyrie ?"

Never, nope, nah nah, happened.

To give you an idea of how forward thinking he was, he installed a player internship program where a player could work for a UNT alumnus company in the off season.   It was well managed and provided players with some terrific experience and job opportunities after graduation.  I know that Dickey did some of that on a case by case basis but it was nowhere near as developed.  Parker made the alumni business owners participating in the program feel more engaged with the athletics and UNT in general.

Parker as others before and after him struggled with an admin that didn't care about athletics and didn't fund it properly.  From 1983 to 1994 the admin put us in I-AA and that hurt every coach in that era.   He had his faults namely that he could not win the Southland.  What is crazy is he could beat SWC schools but struggled against the likes of Sam Houston, SFA and Northwestern.  He got close but after 3 subpar seasons they let him go.  Of course, Matt Simon benefited in 1994 with all of Parker's players and finally won the conference.

1 hour ago, Travis said:

I'd say dumb is going for low percentage of success plays when you don't have to.  It is kind of like inbounding the basketball and lobbing up a full court shot in a tied game when there is 8 minutes left on the clock. It just doesn't make sense and it isn't a recipe for success.  Clearly, he wasn't 'successful'.

You avoided the question, how is going for an onside kick in the last minute in a tie game a dumb play?  By your definition anyone who ever went for an on-side kick, late game "Hale Mary" or a variety of trick plays would be dumb because they are low percentage play.

Your analogy of a basketball full court shot is way off point, the play in question was in the last seconds of a game.  

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Coach Parker had a promotion idea that never got off the ground.

After a significant win, The player of the game was to place an "egg' in the eyrie with the opponent's name and the date.  The idea was when future teams would visit with older teams, the question would be, "How many eggs did you guys put in the eyrie ?"

Interesting.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to place a mutilated half-consumed carcass, or skeleton in there?

9 hours ago, Harry said:

To give you an idea of how forward thinking he was, he installed a player internship program where a player could work for a UNT alumnus company in the off season.   It was well managed and provided players with some terrific experience and job opportunities after graduation.  I know that Dickey did some of that on a case by case basis but it was nowhere near as developed.  Parker made the alumni business owners participating in the program feel more engaged with the athletics and UNT in general.

Parker as others before and after him struggled with an admin that didn't care about athletics and didn't fund it properly.  From 1983 to 1994 the admin put us in I-AA and that hurt every coach in that era.   He had his faults namely that he could not win the Southland.  What is crazy is he could beat SWC schools but struggled against the likes of Sam Houston, SFA and Northwestern.  He got close but after 3 subpar seasons they let him go.  Of course, Matt Simon benefited in 1994 with all of Parker's players and finally won the conference.

If stuff like this is not going on I would be extremely disappointed, but if it’s stopped because of the whole OU and Rhett Bomer thing then it’s understandable. 

Having things like this internship program would/could be a major boost for the recruiting because it aids in getting players jobs and experience.

• Upvote 1