DRC: Postseason questions series No. 3 -- Can UNT survive without Wilson?

Brett Vito

Wilson is pretty special and it was evident those last 2 games without him. He was always a threat to take it to the house.     This is probably why our passing game struggled a bit more without Wilson, especially Guyton who I bet received more attention than normal.

We always seem to do a good job of replacing really good backs.  Hopefully, that will continue next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Two things made Wilson a very special rb.   One, there have been very few NT rbs that had the breakaway speed Wilson possessed.  Two, his chip blocks were classic and greatly enhanced NT's passing game.  

Smith had a good rookie year and Johnson certainly demonstrated he will be a factor next year.  Add a juco and redshirt and NT definitely has some depth.   So obviously, NT can survive without Smith; but NT is not going to be as strong at the position as they were with a healthy Wilson.   

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hoping Torrey brings something exciting into the mix.    Also, Siggers will be coming off of his redshirt, and should be able to contribute as well.     Could be a crowded backfield: RBBC.

I'm the most excited about Siggers at 5'8 and 195(probably gonna put on a few more pounds in the offseason). He could be the power guy we've wanted but with the same kind of quickness displayed by the other backs

5 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I think everyone on this board would be ecstatic if Siggers could provide what Singletary has done at FAU

Ecstatic would be an understatement.. If he can do that, it improves this entire team because of the TIme of Possession, continuing drives/closing out games and lightning the pounding fine takes as well.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

With the addition of Torrey, improvement of Smith and Johnson, and first year for Siggers, we are loaded with athletic running backs (just like receiver). Their performance all hinges on the OL being able to improve, and becoming more physical and reliable in short yardage situations.

The question is which one develops into The a pass blocking RB.. Smith got ran over numerous times last year, and the other backs are smaller backs with Siggers being the heaviest.

On 1/11/2018 at 6:43 PM, Ben Gooding said:

I want to say yes, but I don't know why I should. We've seen the results of a Wilson-less UNT offense. 

FAU was gonna roll us up just like they did the first time and JW wasn't going to change that (he rushed for 49 yards in FAU 1.0).  Troy was probably going to brutalize us just the same as well.  The other game was against Rice and Nic Smith rushed for 178 yards on his first start. 

18 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

FAU was gonna roll us up just like they did the first time and JW wasn't going to change that (he rushed for 49 yards in FAU 1.0).  Troy was probably going to brutalize us just the same as well.  The other game was against Rice and Nic Smith rushed for 178 yards on his first start. 

Yes. But even with Nic going for 178 at Rice, the offense still looked stagnant and uncomfortable. And that was a very bad Rice defense. 

The O isn't the same without Wilson in there. The tune played the same in 2016 when JW was injured. I want to see someone step up and someone will definitely be getting the touches. It's a wait and see game to see the production.