Grades for all 130 FBS teams for the 2017 season

jperg2

5 games vs A+ programs... 2 close wins.. and 3 matchups also resulted in blow outs and 1 conference record for worst defensive performance ever.. 

A- for me is a bit high because of the types of beatings we took... I would have said a B as of now, but could go to a B+ depending on if we have staffing changes/final signees. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

22 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

5 games vs A+ programs... 2 close wins.. and 3 matchups also resulted in blow outs and 1 conference record for worst defensive performance ever.. 

A- for me is a bit high because of the types of beatings we took... I would have said a B as of now, but could go to a B+ depending on if we have staffing changes/final signees. 

Regardless of whether we deserved an A- or flat B, we certainly over achieved and are being recognized for our accomplishments. Sweet!

Just now, wardly said:

Regardless of whether we deserved an A- or flat B, we certainly over achieved and are being recognized for our accomplishments. Sweet!

We did overachieve.. the hope needs to be we sustain or improve and not regress. These close Ws need to be 17+ point wins next year, if you want to show coaches, fans, students, alumni that UNT is truly trending up. 

Defense needs to show a major jump and the offense needs to be more consistent to make up for the lack of Trevor Moore as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I really hate to put the success or failure of 2018 on Fine's back. I remember when we were coming off an SBC  championship and New Orleans Bowl appearance looking forward to Andrew Smith leading us going forward. We lost Smith to a tragic automobile accident and we never recovered.And you are correct. Replacing Moore with a kicker of the same talent level will be almost impossible. He was clutch, and had he been Alabama's kicker there would of been no overtime with Georgia.

41 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We did overachieve.. the hope needs to be we sustain or improve and not regress. These close Ws need to be 17+ point wins next year, if you want to show coaches, fans, students, alumni that UNT is truly trending up. 

Defense needs to show a major jump and the offense needs to be more consistent to make up for the lack of Trevor Moore as well.

How about the wins stay wins (no matter the scores), and the whippings turn into wins or at least closer games.   I would call that improvement.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

How about the wins stay wins (no matter the scores), and the whippings turn into wins or at least closer games.   I would call that improvement.

You can settle for close wins.. I’m not settling..

I want to pack Apogee, get students joining the MGC after graduation and increasing that .03% membership rate for alumni and you do that by going out and beating down programs FAU style.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I want to pack Apogee, get students joining the MGC after graduation and increasing that .03% membership rate for alumni and you do that by going out and beating down programs FAU style.. 

No, you do that by winning and not getting your ass kicked on national television. Can't believe you're still pushing this "close wins aren't good enough" BS. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Interesting/ironic citation for your point.

"Settle"?  Didn't I say keep the 9 wins (however you get them) and then either add-on, or at least eliminate the a**-kickings as losses (making those games competitive)?   Would that not be an improvement?

Look, going from 1-win, to 5-wins, to 9-wins is pretty dramatic improvement.  That trend can only POSSIBLY continue 1 more season, but it's PROBABLY over, and we need to start looking at more gradual improvements.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Interesting/ironic citation for your point.

"Settle"?  Didn't I say keep the 9 wins (however you get them) and then either add-on, or at least eliminate the a**-kickings as losses (making those games competitive)?   Would that not be an improvement?

Look, going from 1-win, to 5-wins, to 9-wins is pretty dramatic improvement.  That trend can only POSSIBLY continue 1 more season, but it's PROBABLY over, and we need to start looking at more gradual improvements.

I’ve said this multiple times but will again for you.. Close games will not pack Apogee when you beat UAB/UTSA/LT by single digits.. it’s different beating a P5, but not CUSA.. 

When I say settle, you are fine with that 3 pt W vs UAB (who remember everyone said was a push over that week, and I said they would be a tough team), 1pt W over LT that is devastated by injuries (before and during the game, with a baseball CF at QB, and a missed GW FG by LT). 

I’d rather enjoy us beating down programs FAU style to grow the interest in the program and fan base. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

26 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

No, you do that by winning and not getting your ass kicked on national television. Can't believe you're still pushing this "close wins aren't good enough" BS. 

Close wins vs P5s are great, not vs a 6-6 Baseball player turned QB LT team.. not vs a 6-6 UTSA that has 0 offense.. not vs an Army team that UNT is more skilled than and talented than, and oh Army runs 99% of the time and we have faced them 3 times in 14 months and give up 500+ yards rushing..

Take your head out of the sand, this was a 6-7 win team that won 9.. This team is not an A grade team.. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 4

31 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I’ve said this multiple times but will again for you.. Close games will not pack Apogee when you beat UAB/UTSA/LT by single digits.. it’s different beating a P5, but not CUSA.. 

When I say settle, you are fine with that 3 pt W vs UAB (who remember everyone said was a push over that week, and I said they would be a tough team), 1pt W over LT that is devastated by injuries (before and during the game, with a baseball CF at QB, and a missed GW FG by LT). 

I’d rather enjoy us beating down programs FAU style to grow the interest in the program and fan base. 

re: UAB, I was right there with you regarding them being a difficult opponent.    The Special Teams gaffe's are what made that game close in the first place.    Get those shored up in year 2 of Biagi, and that same game is a 17pt win instead of a 3pt win.   And either way, the reality of it is, that was the 2nd place team in C-USA West.  It didn't matter what people thought of them preseason.

Newsflash: as long as UTSA treats the UNT game like their SuperBowl (which, they always will), it's going to be a close game.  We're going to get their absolute best every time we play them.   If we win against them on a last-minute drive, I'm cool with that.

LT's backups are C-USA-starter caliber.   That program is the standard for the West since they've been on top for the past 4 years.  I'm glad we caught them in a down year.  Who knows if they'll be down again next season?  A win against them (any kind of win) is a good one.

Of course I'd rather win games by 20+ points every week.  Who wouldn't?   But that is just not going to happen.

What SHOULDN'T happen anymore (and what I think is a solid measure of improvement next season) is the 20+ point beat-downs we took 4 times this year.  Those games are clouding a lot of people's judgement about how good this team really is.   We'll erase one of those 20-pt beatdowns at Apogee on September 1st, and turn it into a win.   I don't expect to see FAU next season until the Conference Championship Game (if they make it without Briles... FIU will challenge.).   And who knows what will happen in the bowl game (hopefully it's a HOD game VS a big10 team, instead of playing the SBC conference champ)?

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Close wins vs P5s are great, not vs a 6-6 Baseball player turned QB LT team.. not vs a 6-6 UTSA that has 0 offense.. not vs an Army team that UNT is more skilled than and talented than, and oh Army runs 99% of the time and we have faced them 3 times in 14 months and give up 500+ yards rushing..

Take your head out of the sand, this was a 6-7 win team that won 9.. This team is not an A grade team.. 

not-this-again-aw-geez-not-again.jpg

I expect you'll be predicting a 6-7 win season this upcoming year then?   I mean, if this is what you truly believe, then you have to predict it that way.
If no, and you predict 8+, then we're obviously not a 6-7 win team that won 9.  We're a 9-win team that won 9.

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Probably a big reason why they were given an A- instead of a B or B-.

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

Probably a big reason why they were given an A- instead of a B or B-.

This was not a A- team, and I’m going to say the national media didn’t watch many games if they think this was an A- team.. 

We were 0-3 in national games this year as well(Iowa, FAU, Troy)...  

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

not-this-again-aw-geez-not-again.jpg

I expect you'll be predicting a 6-7 win season this upcoming year then?   I mean, if this is what you truly believe, then you have to predict it that way.
If no, and you predict 8+, then we're obviously not a 6-7 win team that won 9.  We're a 9-win team that won 9.

I will definitely be saying this is a 6-7 win team next year.. 1- The defense sucked, 2- OL play was terrible, 3- We lost critical leaders on defense and no one proven to replace them, 4- Trevor Moore.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

This was not a A- team, and I’m going to say the national media didn’t watch many games if they think this was an A- team.. 

We were 0-3 in national games this year as well(Iowa, FAU, Troy)...  

I'm looking at the rankings and I'm seeing many/most teams grade reflects their record vs. expectations.  9 wins from a team that was expected to win about 6 games probably deserves an "A-."  I get what your saying about this being a "6-7 win team," but I think that should just temper expectations for next year.  I don't think it should degrade from this year because on the scoreboard we won 9 games.  The law of averages says we shouldn't have won all the close games that we won, but we did win them this year.