Sarah Palin to speak at Denton County Republican Party event

At least they are keeping their looney politicians where they belong -- at their own events. They aren't paying some controversial figure under some guise of 'openness' or 'diverse dialogue' when it is just a political campaign. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 5

--- McCain regretted choosing her and they later prohibited her from doing press conferences due to her looney answers.. The press was not allowed to interview her when she came to my hometown way after the election .... but she  spoke to a group and took a lot of money home...   She also resigned from being Governor after being elected.    I see her son beat up her husband lately (great family values)  .. --- I can't believe some GOP people still like her, she is a nut... but I guess good looking considering she is no young chick. . 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sarah-palin-apos-husband-confronted-230038213.html  

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

I never understood.  Surely McCain & the RNC recognized her liabilities.  

Me either ... but I think she had the support of the extreme right and good old Rush Limbaugh ( has one hour of college credit, PE, and spent a whole year  in college) was praising her a lot before then..... Probably some thought her looks and that she was a woman would get votes ... but then she opened her mouth. .....   I personally know of several GOP supporters and others that suddenly voted the other way ..... Remember she would have been in charge of the Senate and it came out that she had never even seen the Senate chamber.... Can't remember how many but she attended about 5-7 colleges before getting a degree and not a name one either. Came across to me as a cute hill-billy woman.... and that is about all.. . 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

.....   I personally know of several GOP supporters and others that suddenly voted the other way .....

After the primaries I felt positive about both McCain & Obama, but then, after McCain named Palin as the VP nominee, I was decided.  I worked hard for Obama. I knew others who made the same decision.  It didn't mean much in Texas, but in a lot of border-line states I think Palin played a strong role.  McCain probably still would have lost, but who knows.  Catering to the radical right fringe may have cost the GOP a shot at the WH.

Four years later and we might have had McCain in his second term rather than what we have now.

McCain was 2008 , Romney was 2012.... McCain would have been done .. I consider myself an independent  Democrat meaning I don't always support the party line or every candidate every time ....I always respected and liked McCain..... I think he is an honest man who tries to do what is right for the country and not just for his party.   Romney wasn't all that bad either.  What we have now is a mess.   

.In Texas, I  no fan of Gov. Perry and all the things he did to public education .... but Dan Patrick is even worse...  much worse. .  Local property taxes went up because of Perry and state funding cuts which caused local districts to raise local taxes to support schools,  but it will be much worse if Patrick gets his way and we are paying taxes which supports private schools also... Even worse... what is there to stop crazy hate groups and crazy religious groups from starting private schools and getting financed by our tax money. .... I teach in a community college and once taught in public schools.   I have kept up with what has gone on those issues. ... 

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

McCain was 2008 , Romney was 2012.... McCain would have been done .. 

Oops.  You're right.  McCain victories in 2008 & 2012 may have had implications for 2016.  The Republican candidates may have been dominated by a VP from a hopefully successful 8 years under McCain - meaning Trump would have been left in the dust.

I agree with you about Texas politics.  Dan Patrick scares me worse than Pence.  I really hope Greg Abbott is healthy & safe.

• Upvote 2

On 1/10/2018 at 1:26 PM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

Probably some thought her looks and that she was a woman would get votes ... 

Nothing wrong with that since a recent president was elected based on his race.

I see her son beat up her husband lately (great family values) 

What does that have to do with family values?

Look, I'm not a Palin fan, but these are the kind of comments that are ridiculous and unfortunately, what the masses use to pick our politicians.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 7

---Obama sure wasn't elected because of race ....but a lot of people voted against him because of his background.... He won in spite of it .... and because of terrible economic conditions at election time (fall 2008)---- car companies being bailed out ...,  the other party had invaded a country based on the fact they had nuclear weapons when they didn't and Americans were dying needlessly there plus it made the Mid-east situation worse... , unemployment was increasing rapidly,..  ... Banks in trouble and being bailed out ...., homes being repossessed.... , DOW down 7000 points from 13,000+, and more.   .. ..... That win had more to do with conditions plus a ditzy VP candidate who would have been in charge of the Senate and would have replaced the President had he died....  Second election ... conditions had really improved from 2008.....

.---Trump may have won because of race ... he did get endorsed by the KKK and carried every Southern state. . .... and claiming he wanted to build a wall by the Rio Grande  which would take Texas rancher's land resulting in 1000's of wild animals  (deer etc.) dying because they could not get to their water supply plus their cattle's water supply.. (I own ranch-land)...   He also  tells a lot of whoppers and people believed him plus a lot of people were tired of Clintons. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 6

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Nothing wrong with that since a recent president was elected based on his race.

I can't speak for everyone but I liked Obama because he was an intelligent, articulate person with whom I agreed on many issues.  To suggest he was elected because he was black seems strange to me.  Do you really think that being a minority is a political advantage?   

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, GTWT said:

I can't speak for everyone but I liked Obama because he was an intelligent, articulate person with whom I agreed on many issues.  To suggest he was elected because he was black seems strange to me.  Do you really think that being a minority is a political advantage?   

The day after he was elected the first time, there were pictures on the front page of the Houston Chronicle of people wearing "My President is Black" shirts.  Yes, I think it was an advantage, although having McCain as an opponent wasn't difficult.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 8

---This claim seems crazy to me ... being black lost him many MORE votes than it gained. None of the Southern states voted for him and they have the largest black population percent-wise.  I could name towns that went 90% against him that had never voted that one-sided before. Yes it gained him some votes... but it lost a whole lot more... think what a small percent of Americans are black anyway.. ..... The terrible economy in fall of 2008 and having an opposing  VP candidate that was a "bit strange and rather unqualified" got him elected. [ been a while but in one interview she did not even seem to realize North and South Korea are actually two different countries and not parts of the same country.... there were other odd comments.]    I think it was after that interview  that the GOP really shut her down on doing interviews.  --- that racial claim is very bogus. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

Honestly, I also think the "racial thing" was a disadvantage as well.  It was well reported that a number of people voted for him because of his race and it was also well reported that people voted against him for the same reason.  It is just stupid, but America as a whole is full of people that vote for the wrong reasons.  They chose for or against based on looks, race, gender, etc... and on whatever their news station of choice tells them.  Unfortunately, the news stations are not unbiased in their reporting.  We all know Fox is right leaning, MSNBC is left leaning, CNN has difficulty with the truth, etc...

Agree or disagree with me, but people need to take the time to research on their own to find the truth regarding where these people stand on agenda items that are important to them.  Our politicians should represent the people that elected them, but too many times, they get in to office and just toe the party line to keep their cushy job.

I respect @GTWT for stating why he chose to vote for Obama.  It was based on his position on the issues that were important to him.  I may not agree with his vote or position, but I certainly respect his decision.  It is sad to me that our country has become so divided over who they vote for/what party they align with, and that the art of working together seems lost.

Looking back, as a whole, race probably did hurt Obama, but people did choose to vote for him based on race alone.  Sadly, the most intelligent and qualified people are smart enough to not run because they don't want the unnecessary hassles that come along with the office.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think we agree.... How in the world did a black man with an Arabic name get elected.....??... Having the other party end with a terrible economy, a questionable war,   plus having a VP candidate that many thought was nearly nuts and afraid could become President. . 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

Only a racist would think that, actually. 

Actually, you are wrong  

Strong accusations against someone you don't even know and way, way off base.  I made the comment based off of what I observed on the front page of the Houston Chronicle the day the election. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Downvote 3