Top 25 Consideration - 4 teams UNT faced

MeanGreen_MBA

Looks like UNT played four teams that got consideration for the Top 25....Iowa, Army, FAU, Troy all received Top 25 votes.  That bodes well for our team.  The only loses we had were to those teams.  Our next goal should be Top 25 consideration, if not well established in the Top 25

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1/week/1/year/2017/seasontype/3

Edited by MeanGreen_MBA
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

16 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Looks like UNT played four teams that got consideration for the Top 25....Iowa, Army, FAU, Troy all received Top 25 votes.  That bodes well for our team.  The only loses we had were to those teams.  Our next goal should be Top 25 consideration, if not well established in the Top 25

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1/week/1/year/2017/seasontype/3

Sadly, I think we lost to smu too.

• Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

we did...I did make it very clear...

"Iowa, Army, FAU, Troy all received Top 25 votes."

"The only loses we had were to those teams."

Thus, Army was a loss???  No biggy, but what am I misreading here?  Go easy on me.  I'm old and can't understand the written word like I use to.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1

Sargin had us ranked 100th at end of bowl games. We got pounded every loss, and won 3 games on last play of game. We had a great season, and in my opinion overachieved, but unless we beat  P5 programs on the road we are not ever going to be ranked in top 50. Troy beat LSU at tigers homecoming, which is the type of wins that we need.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

UNT will not be a Top 25 team till we win CUSA games by 24+ regularly, beat up on a SMU team, and beat a P5.. 

Sadly, next year we likely would have to go undefeated to get Top 25 votes.. Playing I-ward and Liberty hurts our schedule strength. 

We got Top25 votes in 2013 with losses to Tulane, UTSA, Ohio, and UGA. I think you overestimate what it takes to get votes. We just can't afford to have gaudy losses and we have to beat the beatable opponents. It's really as simple as that. And if we happen to slip in a P5 win, we may slip into the Top25. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/9/2018 at 4:23 PM, Ben Gooding said:

We got Top25 votes in 2013 with losses to Tulane, UTSA, Ohio, and UGA. I think you overestimate what it takes to get votes. We just can't afford to have gaudy losses and we have to beat the beatable opponents. It's really as simple as that. And if we happen to slip in a P5 win, we may slip into the Top25. 

I don't recall that.   I think last time we got top 25 votes (or maybe just a vote) was after the 2002 season.

EDIT:  Proven wrong by @Joshdude182 below.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

North Texas got 2 AP votes in 2013. 

16 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

UNT will not be a Top 25 team till we win CUSA games by 24+ regularly, beat up on a SMU team, and beat a P5.. 

Sadly, next year we likely would have to go undefeated to get Top 25 votes.. Playing I-ward and Liberty hurts our schedule strength. 

SOS doesn't really play a factor as long as you're winning. We had a stronger SOS than FAU but they did squat against Navy and Wisconsin and lost to Buffalo.

But even then...

FAU received votes. Conference winner. Army and Troy (who beat LSU) received votes. 10 or 11 win seasons. Not top 25.

Of G5 or Ind, only the AAC and Notre Dame got in the top 25. It's going to take a lot for CUSA or the Sun Belt to get in. Troy had two 10+ win seasons in a row, made national champs Clemson sweat a little and beat LSU in that span.

• Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, Aldo said:

North Texas got 2 AP votes in 2013. 

SOS doesn't really play a factor as long as you're winning. We had a stronger SOS than FAU but they did squat against Navy and Wisconsin and lost to Buffalo.

But even then...

FAU received votes. Conference winner. Army and Troy (who beat LSU) received votes. 10 or 11 win seasons. Not top 25.

Of G5 or Ind, only the AAC and Notre Dame got in the top 25. It's going to take a lot for CUSA or the Sun Belt to get in. Troy had two 10+ win seasons in a row, made national champs Clemson sweat a little and beat LSU in that span.

FAU got votes because they steamrolled teams.. not by beating teams by 1,3, etc... When you are in a g5 such as CUSA, you have to blow out CUSA programs to show you are a level above. FAU did this vs everyone besides Marshall (who fau beat by 5)

We may have had a better SOS but FAU made us look like Lamar both times and multiple other CUSA programs... Also, SOS does play into rankings, just listen to the CFP committee and others, UCF did not get in because they play weaker teams more often than not. Yes going 12-0 got them ranked, but again playing the likes of UCF, Memphis, etc and winning is better than betting UAB, Army, and LT by single digits when they are not ranked.

The reasons that CUSA/SBelt do not get votes is because they are not viewed as power conferences, or conferences that generate enough solid and stable competition. What I mean by stable is teams that stay good for years and not a 2-3 good years then crush down but continue it over basically multiple different QBs. .. Charlotte, UTEP, Rice bring down CUSA (and it hurts UNT playing both of them instead of just 1 like FAU). The traditonal powers of CUSA in LT, WKU, were very weak this year (both went 6-6).. Schools like USM, MTSU, Marshall had solid games vs bigger programs but again they had their own struggles in CUSA.. UNT/UTSA/FAU/FIU broke the model and showed a TON of potential. IF UTSA/UNT and FAU/FIU can continue the trend of going up and winning it will do A LOT of good for CUSA. If USM/WKU/LT can get back to 7/8 win programs, and the TX/FL schools can as well it will improve the conference greatly.

Yes Troy has been great and had multiple 10-win seasons and beating LSU, but again the SBelt is viewed as the bottom tier conference and that hurts Troy A LOT. 

18 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We're pretty much saying the same. Even after all these accomplishments, votes and no ranking for someone like Troy, FAU, or Army. P5 owns it.

Also the paradox of the SOS among G5 doesn't allow the G5 to have better SOS. But there is parity among G5, so this is just an excuse to keep G5 down. Of course G5 SOS will be lower, their schedule isn't full of P5s, and many G5 are weak.

6 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

We have good coaching.  The focus must be turned on recruiting top players to UNT.  We lost to FAU and Troy because they had bigger and faster players.  It was painfully obvious when they lined up.   Littrell now has to prove that you can recruit to NT. 

It helps to have dodgy/shady academic standards also.

On 1/9/2018 at 11:08 AM, TheColonyEagle said:

Saw a projection for 2018 top 25....

FAU was #21

We could very well have a legit top 25 team come to Apogee next season.

I hope our season goes as well as last season. That game could have a lot of hype.

Let's all pray that for once C-USA isn't lazy with interconference matchup scheduling...

We deserve Charlotte, dammit!