National championship games

NM Green

18 hours ago, UNTexas said:

The punt block cost the game. Fromm getting dragged down by the face mask cost the game. The ridiculous pass interference cost the game.

College football is an official joke now. They want certain teams to win. Alabama lost their division and conference. It's a bs joke. It's a monopoly and I'm not going to pay it any attention in the future. 

College football championships are an invitational, not a playoff. Not a sporting event. Its bs.

Let's not forget calling the Georgia player for facemask when at the very same time, the Bama ball carrier had his hand on the Georgia player's facemask.   On the punt return leading to a Bama TD, an obvious block in the back.  And the clear winner, #48 throwing a punch and only getting a penalty, not ejected. On the very next play, another Bama player making a tackle, then shoving the Georgia player's head to the turf, no call.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Setting aside the fact that the "playoff" is a sham, one conference is clearly at the top 

IMG_6695.JPG

True and all. But Bama has half of those. Pluck Bama out and put them anywhere else and the SEC doesn't have the most anymore. A team doing what they are doing is not good for the game. It is the opposite of parity, the thing we're striving for. 

• Lovely Take 2

One way to do it the right way is to have all FBS conference champs, 11, enter the playoffs plus 5 at large for a 16 team playoff.  That would lead to 4 extra games/rounds and a true champion. 

If that is too many, Have an 8 team playoff with the 8 highest ranked conference champs qualifying. This lead to 3 extra games/rounds. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

One way to do it the right way is to have all FBS conference champs, 11, enter the playoffs plus 5 at large for a 16 team playoff.  That would lead to 4 extra games/rounds and a true champion. 

If that is too many, Have an 8 team playoff with the 8 highest ranked conference champs qualifying. This 3 extra games/rounds. 

This is what the playoff needs to be.  Win your conference and get a chance at the national championship.   Either 11 + 5 (so Alabama can always get in when they don’t win the SEC) or 11 + 1 (so Alabama can always get in when they don’t win the SEC).  The 11 + 1 would mean “first round byes” for the top four seeded teams.  I just think winning your conference should result in a bigger reward - a chance, just asking for a chance - at a national Championship, than some spare bowl game.  Let those magical seasons that happen every once in a while play out on the field. 

14 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

True and all. But Bama has half of those. Pluck Bama out and put them anywhere else and the SEC doesn't have the most anymore. A team doing what they are doing is not good for the game. It is the opposite of parity, the thing we're striving for. 

The other bad thing about the way this has all played out is the degradation of the sport. Long term, when other areas of the country are not competing or allowed to compete, they stop playing. This year was especially is bad for the game. The committee essentially told the country that football is a regional sport by excluding the Northeast, Midwest, and West. If this continues, then it will become that and the sport could very easily become a thing of the past.

2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Did anyone else catch when ESPN inadvertently announced Alabama's recruiting violations?  When they were slobbering all over that freshman QB, they mentioned that his whole family moved to Alabama from Hawaii, and that his little brother is a prospect.

I'm not sure what recruiting violations that would involve, unless Alabama paid the family's moving expenses.

10 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I'm not sure what recruiting violations that would involve, unless Alabama paid the family's moving expenses.

Yeah, because it's normal for a family to completely uproot their entire life and move across the country with their kid to play college football, while they have another kid in high school who is also a prospect. Anyone with half a brain can see what happened.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Yeah, because it's normal for a family to completely uproot their entire life and move across the country with their kid to play college football, while they have another kid in high school who is also a prospect. Anyone with half a brain can see what happened.

Well, I guess I'm missing more than half my brain because I still don't see the recruiting violation.  Maybe they want to be able to attend their son's games?  Maybe they want their other son to play in an area where he will get better coaching and more exposure?  As long as Bama isn't bankrolling it, it's a choice they're free to make.

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

Wow.  I guess you think schools like Aledo and Southlake are just lucky enough to get kids moving to their school district from all over the country, too?

I don't even see the parallel.  Recruiting is legal for colleges; recruiting is not legal for public high schools.  Come out and say it--with what specific recruiting violation should Bama be charged?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I don't even see the parallel.  Recruiting is legal for colleges; recruiting is not legal for public high schools.  Come out and say it--with what specific recruiting vioulation should Bama be charged?

Come out and say what?  I've already said it pretty clearly. They moved his family to Alabama as a part of his recruitment. Pull your head out of the sand.

Edited by Rudy
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Come out and say what?  I've already said it pretty clearly. They moved his family to Alabama as a part of his recruitment. Pull your head out of the sand.

Pull my head out of the sand?  You're making allegations for which you have zero evidence.  People move every day, and they do it without anything underhanded taking place.  Do you even know the parents' financial situation?

• Downvote 1

17 hours ago, Rudy said:

Right!!!!   The next thing you'll try to have us believe is that your girlfriend works at some car dealership in Norman, Oklahoma where she keeps seeing certain OU football players who supposedly work there but never show up to actually do any work other than to pick up their paychecks?

Rick

• Haha 2