National championship games

NM Green

NDSU & Bama on top of the college football worlds.  Power programs seizing opportunities demonstrating excellence. This championship game capped off one of my favorite football seasons ever. 

I am enjoying every drop of this Mean Green journey to relevance. Getting ready for more magic in 2018!

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 4

14 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Alabama wore down Georgia's defense and made them look very average in the 4th quarter.  However, if the refs don't blow the call on the blocked put Georgia probably wins.   

Refs missed far more than a blocked punt. I'm not a tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist, but that game was definitely called in the way of 1 team. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The punt block cost the game. Fromm getting dragged down by the face mask cost the game. The ridiculous pass interference cost the game.

College football is an official joke now. They want certain teams to win. Alabama lost their division and conference. It's a bs joke. It's a monopoly and I'm not going to pay it any attention in the future. 

College football championships are an invitational, not a playoff. Not a sporting event. Its bs.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTexas said:

The punt block cost the game. Fromm getting dragged down by the face mask cost the game. The ridiculous pass interference cost the game.

College football is an official joke now. They want certain teams to win. Alabama lost their division and conference. It's a bs joke. It's a monopoly and I'm not going to pay it any attention in the future. 

College football championships are an invitational, not a playoff. Not a sporting event. Its bs.

We have a winner here...everything you just posted is exactly right.

As a matter of fact, for us in the G5’s it’s even worse. We don’t even get to play for a championship.

• Upvote 5

First "national championship" or "bcs championship" I've not watched since they started this up in the 90s.  Everything posted here just reaffirms that I made the right call.  Made sure that none of my devices ever tuned to the channel (or any of the 4 or so ESPN had it on).

I'm just one house, but I'm done supporting this fake playoff crap.

8 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Alabama wore down Georgia's defense and made them look very average in the 4th quarter.  However, if the refs don't blow the call on the blocked put Georgia probably wins.   

The call should have been illegal procedure on Alabama, which would have nullified the punt block as well.  Just moving Bama back a little.  Not sure that was the dagger you say it was....of course, I am biased for Alabama... RTR

• Downvote 6

18 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

First "national championship" or "bcs championship" I've not watched since they started this up in the 90s.  Everything posted here just reaffirms that I made the right call.  Made sure that none of my devices ever tuned to the channel (or any of the 4 or so ESPN had it on).

I'm just one house, but I'm done supporting this fake playoff crap.

Actually, you missed one of the best championship games in the history of college football. Your loss. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

The call should have been illegal procedure on Alabama, which would have nullified the punt block as well.  Just moving Bama back a little.  Not sure that was the dagger you say it was....of course, I am biased for Alabama... RTR

How could you root for a program which actually killed a G5 program?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, emmitt01 said:

Setting aside the fact that the "playoff" is a sham, one conference is clearly at the top 

IMG_6695.JPG

No doubt they are clearly the best conference.  There is no disputing it.  But they also have the biggest budgets and best coaches support facilities.  I don’t like that college football has become 7-10 programs who fight for the jewelry every year.  It was better when a say BYU or lower level team had a chance to be the Cinderella story.  I feel like college football needs that and the 4-Team playoff doesn’t get you there.

52 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

An 8-12 team play-off would be a new game for many of us. Not sure the NCAA money-changers will ever do it, though. 

Absolutely no chance that will ever involve anyone outside of the Power 5. Only way you can backdoor your way in would be to BYU it, going independent, having a schedule chock full of name teams, and being independent enough to get included. That is BYU's path forward and it only works for them if the thing playoff expands to 8, which I doubt it will. I suspect it will go the NFL playoff route, where they have 2 teams receive a bye and not playing until New Years Day against the winners of the first round games. This year, that would've been Alabama vs Ohio State in one first round game, with Georgia playing USC in the other one. The lower seed would've played Clemson in the Sugar Bowl, while the higher seed would've played OU in the Rose Bowl. If it would've been 8 teams, the quarterfinals would've been Clemson vs USC, OU vs Auburn, UGa vs Wisconsin, and Bama vs tOSU. The next three teams ranked in the final FBS poll were Penn State, Miami, and Washington.  Nowhere in there would UCF, who was ranked 12th after the final poll in December, or any other non-power team have been included. Memphis at 20 and Boise State at 25 were the only non P5s in the poll. 

And, to prove the point even further, in the AP poll released this morning, undefeated UCF finished 6th. USF, who won their bowl game against Texas Tech and finished 10-2, got a final ranking of 21st. Boise State beat Oregon in their bowl game to get a 22nd final ranking, and Memphis lost to Iowa State but finished at 25. It took a G5 team going undefeated for the AP to rank them just outside of the top 5 teams in the country. 5 teams in front of UCF all lost twice and they beat the team that beat both championship squads last night. And it took losing two games, including 1 to UCF, for USF to get ranked just outside of the top 20. That USF team got ranked BEHIND a 5 loss Stanford team, as well as 4 loss teams in Miss State, LSU, and Auburn.

Meanwhile, down here in the lower G5s, Army received 33 votes, CUSA Champ FAU received 32 votes, and SBC champ Troy received 13 votes. The MAC champ didn't get 1 vote for being in the top 25 in the AP poll.  And yet people here act like there is some groundswell to get the G5s included in anything playoff oriented. The NCAA has more than proven they aren't gonna do anything to help this. The bowls have shown they won't do anything to change this. The networks have shown they have zero interest in helping change this. And the national media and poll voters continue to show very little respect or interest in G5 football. 

Again, it won't happen, but the G5s should just say no to bowls going forward, except for the top BCS spot. Instead, create a playoff and give these kids and their fans a chance to win a national championship the way P5s, FCS, Division 2, and Division 3 get to earn. Right now, all we get at this level are a few bodybag games in OOC every year, plus a few slots against P5 teams in bowls. This year, Boise beat Oregon, USF beat TT, Duke beat NIU, FSU destroyed USM, Navy destroyed UVa, Iowa State beat Memphis, and UCF beat Auburn. That was 7 matchups out of 40 bowl games played. I would've much rather seen a playoff with UCF, USF, Memphis, Navy, Army, Toledo, Akron, FAU, UNT,  UAB, Boise State, Fresno State, SDSU, Wyoming, Troy, and Appy State. That would have been very enjoyable to watch over the month of December.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If the playoffs will never have all of the conference champions, and G5s will never have a chance to compete in them, then I say forget about even having a playoff system and "crowning" a national champion, and let's go back to the way the bowls used to be - with the addition of plenty of G5 bowls.  The Rose Bowl used to be special, pitting the BIG champ against the PAC champ - without that, it no longer is interesting.  Same with the other big bowls.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1