DRC: Storylines for UNT, C-USA heading into AFCA convention

Brett Vito

Interesting... it was brought up here before that we needed to look into the HS Relations staff, and the Recruiting Coordinator...

Lets hope the HS Relations is a boost to recruiting that is needed.. 

Also, hope we can hold on to GH, having him will be critical for Masons development, and OL as well. 

• Lovely Take 1

7 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Let’s just randomly say HS HC names. Claud Mathis!

Randy Jackson!

John Walsh!

Reginald Samples!

No, hell no, no, and hell no oh wait, he's always recruited south Dallas well.  😂😂😂😳😁

id prefer an east TX guru whoever that may be. 

Edited by GMG24

14 hours ago, GMG24 said:

No, hell no, no, and hell no oh wait, he's always recruited south Dallas well.  😂😂😂😳😁

id prefer an east TX guru whoever that may be. 

http://www.kltv.com/story/34012386/carthage-head-coach-scott-surratt-is-the-nick-saban-of-east-texas

Carthage HC, Scott Surratt.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

I heard the DBs coach at The Colony has this spot locked up @GMG24

Lol corner coach, but nah I think I'll leave that to someone else. I'd love to take the job but I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.

13 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Lol corner coach, but nah I think I'll leave that to someone else. I'd love to take the job but I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.

The only way to be ready for it is to get those feet to the fire. I'd be ecstatic for you because I know you would do a good job. We need more UNT alum in these type positions...The kind of dirty work position that takes passion for a good job to be had. Not burnt out 65 or 70 year old former coaches that are collecting a check Dan McCarney style. 

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

The only way to be ready for it is to get those feet to the fire. I'd be ecstatic for you because I know you would do a good job. We need more UNT alum in these type positions...The kind of dirty work position that takes passion for a good job to be had. Not burnt out 65 or 70 year old former coaches that are collecting a check Dan McCarney style. 

No doubt, I'd put th work in, just not sure I have the connections yet to get us back to a speaking point in Tx. 

I know it's now ancient history, but I remember reading as a student an NT Daily article reporting  how UNT was the talk of the Winter NCAA Convention after the 1975 season.  

Seems at that convention Fry even received an invite by Rice AD Dickey Moagle to interview for their job.  Forever the salesman, Fry came back from the interview &  told the Dallas Morning News SportsPage he had a better job in Denton.  

Also, it was at that Winter Convention that Fry got with his buddy UT HFC Darrell K. Royal who had an opening in their 1976 Longhorn schedule which they filled with the Mean Green.  It was a first ever game with UT which we "almost" won.😩  Earl Campbell won it for the Horns with a late 4'th quarter TD.

I think we'd all hope that at this convention UNT AD Wren Baker gets a few more P5 schools into Apogee Stadium for our future schedule.  Beating Top 50 ranked P5's is a quicker route to the Top 25 for our favorite school's team.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1

21 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Dude my buddy was coaching corners at Round Rock Cedad Ridge. He is our age. Well my age. Smu hired him away and now he is at Arky. We gotta politic this winter at clinics!  Which clinics you going to?

Yeah I saw that. I'm working to take over recruiting coordinator, hopefully after 3/4 years of that and making connections I can look into stepping into college ranks. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Crazy said:

Why wouldn't we want a dfw coach? Aren't we wanting to hit this area harder than east, West or south Texas? 

Just my humble opinion some of the best athletes in state come from east Tx Houston area, then Killeenish area then DFW.  

Dfw is easy to be a lazy recruiter in, hit 4 highways and knock out 10-12 schools a day.  Go to the other areas mentioned you may hit 3/4 schools a day but will find athletes galore.  Just need them to have grades and test scores (like all your other athletes you recruit) 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Well damn sure hope it isn’t West Tx....not a damn drop out there. DFW/Centex/Houston are the main. Always a few bEastTX gems too. 

Ehhh El Paso and LBK produce some ballers

You can find some but we all know it’s a numbers game. The thing about TX is there is talent everywhere. The key for a play like us (UNT) is getting relevant to the HC on campus. That’s why I say we need a clinic presence or hell even host one. Get SOMETHING going for the HS coaches to sell to their athletes. Morris was really good at that at SMU. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

You can find some but we all know it’s a numbers game. The thing about TX is there is talent everywhere. The key for a play like us (UNT) is getting relevant to the HC on campus. That’s why I say we need a clinic presence or hell even host one. Get SOMETHING going for the HS coaches to sell to their athletes. Morris was really good at that at SMU. 

Littrell's are the best I've been to.  He makes position coaches break up and do chalk talk on their own boards at the end of clinic and they stay until everyones gone.  Was really a neat clinic last two years.  They had typical breakout sessions to start then finished with position coaches on the boards.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Well damn sure hope it isn’t West Tx....not a damn drop out there. DFW/Centex/Houston are the main. Always a few bEastTX gems too. 

Hmm.  Michael Lawrence might argue that point.

I know west Texas doesn't have the numbers like other areas, but there are some excellent coaches and talent out there.  Abilene, San Angelo, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa and Amarillo all produce some talent each year.  El Paso is improving but might as well be in Arizona.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2