Riddle Me This: North Dakota State

FirefightnRick

They are in their 7th straight National Championship and doing so across two different head coaching tenures.  

Question is....how in the world are they able to pull off what looks above board as the greatest recruiting story in CFB history?

Ever been to Fargo North Dakota?  You know how miserable and desolate it is during their winters?  

Their down town parking meters have electrical plugs for heating engine blocks that may remain still for too long.  They are in the near invisible FCS market.  The players play in a tiny dome arena.  As far as I know(I could be wrong) but a degree from there isn't of any major recognition other than I would assume in the Dakota region?  Yet they can convince generation after generation of solid talent to sign and play for them instead of FBS schools, good enough talent that they've pulled off a win over solid FBS schools in something like 6 of the last 8 seasons.

So what is it?  What draws the talent to the place?   Are they over paying players on an Oklahoma scale and getting away with it?  Is it just off-the-planet freak coaching that turns a typical FCS player into top talent?  Is there a secret society of good looking chicks attending school there? Is it all simply just sheer luck?  Or is it a combination of all of the above?

Thoughts?

Rick 

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Winning and before that likely system, and selling kids on why not NDST.. Having coaches that can recruit.. Being the only major sport in ND, and a booming/expanding jobs market as well in ND.. Also, has hurt the last 2/3/4 recruiting classes having a QB like Wentz to sale to other kids about them coming there to play with a potential NFL QB, and after he left playing in a place that produced the #2 pick..

Lets hope that the staff is selling Mason to Offensive recruits.. CUSA player of the year, 1st team QB, potentially the best QB in TX next year... Just have to hope the defense can put some stops and this offense can avoid those extended cold-streaks and get a W vs Ark. for Fine to get some pub and hopefully get UNT on the map. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My buddy's entire family went to NDSU... that place has a RABID fan base (If you've been near Frisco in the last week you've likely experienced it), and it's the only game in town. Nearest "major" city is Minneapolis, and they basically dominate an entire section of the country, even if it's a lower profile and frozen over one. 

• Upvote 3

I don't believe the premise of this thread is correct.  In the midst of this run of success, their 2018 recruiting class has 17 commits, 2 of which are 3-star recruits.  Only a few of their commits have FBS offers.  Most of them are from the frozen north--Minnesota in particular--so they're used to cold weather.  Only one of their commits is from anywhere south of Illinois.

So it's not like they're making a living by stealing away recruits coveted by FBS schools.  They've been good at identifying solid underrecruited talent, particularly from their own geographic region, and coaching it up.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

My buddy's entire family went to NDSU... that place has a RABID fan base (If you've been near Frisco in the last week you've likely experienced it), and it's the only game in town. Nearest "major" city is Minneapolis, and they basically dominate an entire section of the country, even if it's a lower profile and frozen over one. 

So if your an FBS level talent, you'd prefer to play for a rabid fan base in a 20k seat indoor facility in the middle of nowhere.....over playing for a rabid fan base in 30k-60k indoor and outdoor facilities in places that thrive with life?

See what I mean?  NDSU has nothing to offer over countless other places.  And in most subject lines...they have even less.  

So again...how are they making up for the vast voids in between?

Rick

4 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I don't believe the premise of this thread is correct.  In the midst of this run of success, their 2018 recruiting class has 17 commits, 2 of which are 3-star recruits.  Only a few of their commits have FBS offers.  Most of them are from the frozen north--Minnesota in particular--so they're used to cold weather.  Only one of their commits is from anywhere south of Illinois.

So it's not like they're making a living by stealing away recruits coveted by FBS schools.  They've been good at identifying solid underrecruited talent, particularly from their own geographic region, and coaching it up.

So it's coaching,.....all pure freak coaching and off the planet recruiting and talent evaluation?

It could be.  I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Rick

I live in Frisco and I am at a bar after the game. We could only dream of having a fan base like NDSU. They've been partying for days here. They're everywhere. It kind of makes me jealous. We've never had nearly the support they have. Not to mention both of these teams today would have taken us behind the woodshed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

So if your an FBS level talent, you'd prefer to play for a rabid fan base in a 20k seat indoor facility in the middle of nowhere.....over playing for a rabid fan base in 30k-60k indoor and outdoor facilities in places that thrive with life?

See what I mean?  NDSU has nothing to offer over countless other places.  And in most subject lines...they have even less.  

Rick

I'd say a chance to win. Not to mention loyalty of their school attracts players. Kids want to play there. Heck, Carson Wentz went there. FBS shrugged him off. He's now dominating NFL defenses to. (Minus a knee at the moment) 

They take their football seriously up there and every high school player up there knows it. It's an easy sell. I'd rather play there than most of the MAC teams.

38 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Beats me. It's an incredible run for sure. Maybe (just thinking out loud here) they've just built enough of a following and reputation that they're keeping enough of those Minnesota/Dakotas, etc. kids at home? Kind of leaning on the fact that some kids don't want to move across the country and would rather go to the place they've grown up loving and where their family can see them play? Heck if i know, and i'm sure it's a combination of a lot of factors, but they do dominate that chunk of the country.

28 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

I live in Frisco and I am at a bar after the game. We could only dream of having a fan base like NDSU. They've been partying for days here. They're everywhere. It kind of makes me jealous. We've never had nearly the support they have. Not to mention both of these teams today would have taken us behind the woodshed. 

Same. I've never seen anything like it. They're everywhere. Place i was in the other night played "Thunderstruck" every 30 minutes (guess it's a NDSU thing) and the place would sing and chant along and go nuts. Frisco businesses have Bison signs and green and yellow lights up everywhere you look, bartenders are in Bison gear, the cars (with plates from up north almost without exception) are flying NDSU, Texas, and NDSU-Themed Texas flags.... it's absolutely incredible. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Same. I've never seen anything like it. They're everywhere. Place i was in the other night played "Thunderstruck" every 30 minutes (guess it's a NDSU thing) and the place would sing and chant along and go nuts. Frisco businesses have Bison signs and green and yellow lights up everywhere you look, bartenders are in Bison gear, the cars (with plates from up north almost without exception) are flying NDSU, Texas, and NDSU-Themed Texas flags.... it's absolutely incredible. 

It's nuts. Twin Peaks bartender told me they had 200 people waiting at the door at opening on Thursday. Thursday!

I was talking to some of them and they said they are enjoying the warm weather. I told them to come in August. 

These are awesome football fans. They've taken over the city. 

Makes me wonder what we could put together if we played in the Frisco Bowl.

1 hour ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

@Green Lantern has a game he should share with them

• Haha 1

I walked into a restaurant/bar in Plano yesterday and there was a group of them. All of them turned around to the person walking through the door (me) and said "Go Bison!"

Have to admit I probably just stared back at them as I walked over to the counter. I didn't think at first they were talking to me.

In years past when the stadium had a little bit larger capacity (prior to the renovation) and the opposing team didn't travel as well as JMU did, NDSU had had 16-17k fans just on their own. I really do wonder if we were, for instance, in a New Years 6 bowl game a 15-hour drive away, would we travel that many people. 

Things to do in North Dakota 

drink 

support NDSU football they've always traveled well.  Something I've always admired from afar.  Wondered the same thing to myself.   Then look at the two biggest schools at UNT education and music.  Neither particularly care to support athletics at least the ones I've come across.  

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

You know how education people look at athletics. You see it every day lol 

I hit em with a smile and ask about my kids they have in class and what I can do to help motivate them to be more successful.  It always catches them off guard and usually leads to some support from their end as long as the kid isn't being a jerk.  Usually works out well, I'm learning how to politic on small scale level. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Then look at the two biggest schools at UNT education and music.  Neither particularly care to support athletics at least the ones I've come across.  

Those are the 2 we're best known for over the years. By numbers, Arts and Sciences and Business are the largest. Education and Business are usually pretty close so Ed may be larger some years.

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Things to do in North Dakota 

drink 

support NDSU football they've always traveled well.  Something I've always admired from afar.  Wondered the same thing to myself.   Then look at the two biggest schools at UNT education and music.  Neither particularly care to support athletics at least the ones I've come across.  

UNT Athletics needs to finds ways to get people from these different schools involved.. doing things like UNT teaching Alumni of the week from different school districts, and UNT Alumni concerts to bring back people would be 1 way.. Also, offering increased Alumni networks/ teaching aids etc would help build a connection and hopefully bring some of them back.

• Upvote 1