Old Dominion (1/6/18)

CMJ

45 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Very good defense, poor second half foul shooting and super effort from NT.  NT had no answer for Porter, he dominated the game.  

If NT had this effort against Charlotte, they would have run them out of the arena.  

NT is 2-2 and could have easily be 4-0 or 0-4 in conference.   Woolridge is a warrior, but I don't understand never giving him a break.  

This, I think him having some more in the tank the last 3 minutes against Charlotte would have been the difference...

• Upvote 1

Good game despite the loss..  I love seeing the hustle and the fight in this team.

Not sure whenthe last time I saw carrying called in a game?   

The walk call on us with 4 seconds left was garbage.

Porter may be the best physically gifted player I've seen play at the Super Pit since Tony Mitchell.  But he sure has the Bill Laimbeer act down pat.

Anyone catch it when Coach Mac told our player throwing the ball in from under our basket at the end there to "leave the ball" out on the floor and wait for someone to hand it to him.....in order to give our other four players time to set up  properly and get ready for the deep throw in? Smart move.  It's the little things like that I feel will make the difference down the road for us.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, diehardUNTfan said:

is there any footage of the travel called on us?

I certainly didn't see it.  The referees seemed to want to take over the game in the second half and that is the opposite of what a good referee should do.  Traveling like holding in football could be called on nearly ever play.  Bad ending to a very good game.  

• Upvote 1

A few thoughts:

1. If Smart is off, we probably aren't going to win. At least against teams in the top half of the conference. He didn't play awful but he missed a lot of good looks. We need our best player to make teams pay on those and he didn't.

This is a also a disadvantage of having your best player be a pure shooter type. Even the best shooters are off sometimes.  Gotta find other ways to score.

2. AJ Lawson continues to struggle. Plain and simple, he isn't a good shooter. He has never been a shooter, but he's good at getting into the lane and getting decent shots off around the basket, which he is not converting enough of. Contested, but good looks and he has missed way too many of them.

He is a guard shooting 54% on his free throw attempts and 20.5% on his 3-point attempts. Our point guard is shooting 59% too. Lawson may never be a good shooter, but surely he can get up to around a 33% 3-point shooter and close to 70% on his free throws. I wonder if we had a healthy Gibson, how much less Lawson would be playing, particularly in crunch time and on games where he is off. He gives a lot defensively, but he has been a liability on offense.

3. This team has made a lot of losing plays down the stretch, and it finally caught up with them the last two games. Against USD we blew it down the stretch to let them get to OT, then let them steal and inbounds pass and have a chance to tie the game at the end of OT, which they missed. UTEP, they also stole the inbounds at the end but missed a game-winning shot they got from the stolen inbounds. UTSA, we blew a 6-point lead in the last two minutes, plus Holston missed the front end of the one and one after Temara's block. Fortunately they too missed a game-winning attempt.

Finally with Charlotte, they made us pay for blowing a 4-point lead in the last minute and Holston missing a free-throw to put us up by one, by sneaking by us for the game-winning put back with no one paying attention. Yesterday we had a bad possession going before the questionable Woolridge travel call, after missing a lot of free throws in the second half including the front end of one and ones.

Still a young team learning how to close teams out, instead of them letting the other team close themselves out.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I certainly didn't see it.  The referees seemed to want to take over the game in the second half and that is the opposite of what a good referee should do.  Traveling like holding in football could be called on nearly ever play.  Bad ending to a very good game.  

I thought perhaps the worse call was the one a few possessions earlier on Ryan when they called carry. Carrying could be called last night on both ends every possession. You don't wait to call that until we're in crunch time.

• Upvote 2