Todd Dodge to UT

H-towngreen

Dodge was a "high risk high reward" hire that blew up in our face. The biggest problem I saw was that he brought most of his high school staff with him, and they were over their heads. As far as money, we paid him more than Dickey, which shows you how little we had to work with.This was the 1st nail in R.V.'s coffin, from which he never recovered.This hiring mistake was compounded by replacing Dodge with Coach Mac, who ran an offense that probably looked good in the 80's. The success he had during our HOD victory was with Dodge's recruits except for Thompson, who I believe was signed by Dickey.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/9/2018 at 8:19 PM, GrandGreen said:

I don't fully understand this thread, Dodge was a bad hire no question.  There was however, a lot of fans who fully supported and were excited about the hire at the time.   

...and were just as quickly scared to death when he brought both coordinators with him from Southlake.  Anyone who witnessed that 79-10 thrashing in Norman could not possibly have been excited about the hire from then on.  Also, bad hire doesn't cut it.  His hire was a disaster.  The worst hire in the history of the school, and it is not close.

The Dodge era is what is responsible, more than anything, for the current perception of North Texas football being a wasteland.  I guess I should say prior to this year.  Dodge was viewed as a football celebrity who was just a pure "winner."  I had extended family who didn't give a crap about UNT who followed along casually during those years (never, mind you, actually witnessing a game) and they always thought that this "winner" would eventually get UNT turned around.

When he got fired his reputation didn't really take that big a hit, outside Denton.  It was the North Texas stink/suck that kept him from winning, and not the other way around.  Thus, it became fashionable to think that it was impossible to win in Denton.

He was a good man, but good freaking gravy he NUKED North Texas.  

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, wardly said:

Dodge was a "high risk high reward" hire that blew up in our face. The biggest problem I saw was that he brought most of his high school staff with him, and they were over their heads. As far as money, we paid him more than Dickey, which shows you how little we had to work with.This was the 1st nail in R.V.'s coffin, from which he never recovered.This hiring mistake was compounded by replacing Dodge with Coach Mac, who ran an offense that probably looked good in the 80's. The success he had during our HOD victory was with Dodge's recruits except for Thompson, who I believe was signed by Dickey.

Thompson was a Todd Dodge signee. He was signed in ‘09. The last Dickey signee should’ve left by ‘11 or ‘12. ‘Kelvin Drake and Craig Robertson were the last Dickey players I can recall seeing playing time. 2013 was all Dodge and Mac players.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1