35-28 L to FIU

17-13 L to Army

30-26 L to Arky St

32-31 L to Rice

28-27 L to LaLa

24-19 L to Arky St

41-35 L to Troy

obviously plenty of blowout losses along the way. But some close ass games

In your own words, Dodge assembled the talent that won the 2013 Heart of Dallas bowl.  So we can't argue that it was players.  

And what do we call it when teams with talent on par with their peers CONSISTENTLY lose close games?  Repeat after me folks...coaching.*

*I'm amazed I have to repetedly explain that a coach with a 13% winning percentage was garbage

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Well the in that case all P5 coaches suck. 

Let me be more clear so you will understand.

Southlake Carroll - Affluent suburb with greater resources than their competition...Dodge succeeded

North Texas- Played in Fouts and had resources on par with an FCS...13% winning percentage

Marble Falls- Not an overly affluent school...fail

Austin Westlake- Affluent school with better resources than their peers...almost made a state title game

UT- Among the top 2 or 3 schools in all of FBS in revenue...you seeing the pattern yet???

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

I was a student at the time of the Todd Dodge hire, and was a big fan of it at the time. His biggest problem was hiring all HS coaches as his assistants. If he would of succeeded and done well UNT football would of blown up and been highly successful. 

And if I had just hit on 6 more numbers I'd have hit the lottery.  

Alas, I'm still middle class an he still had a 13% winning percentage.  

And I love the "he didn't get blown out in every game, he lost a lot of close ones" argument from earlier in this thread.  That's like telling a girl after hooking up, "I may have erectile dysfunction, but SOMETIMES I last more than a minute!"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

In your own words, Dodge assembled the talent that won the 2013 Heart of Dallas bowl.  So we can't argue that it was players.  

And what do we call it when teams with talent on par with their peers CONSISTENTLY lose close games?  Repeat after me folks...coaching.*

*I'm amazed I have to repetedly explain that a coach with a 13% winning percentage was garbage

You really shouldn’t be amazed to have to do this to this fan base. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

And if I had just hit on 6 more numbers I'd have hit the lottery.  

Alas, I'm still middle class an he still had a 13% winning percentage.  

And I love the "he didn't get blown out in every game, he lost a lot of close ones" argument from earlier in this thread.  That's like telling a girl after hooking up, "I may have erectile dysfunction, but SOMETIMES I last more than a minute!"

UNT football would of blown up if Dodge would of been successful. Lol at you 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Dodge wins while at UNT and those teams' records:

2007 --

Western Kentucky, transitional FBS -- 7-5 (All 7 wins over FCS opponents)

Louisiana Monroe -- 6-6 (This team actually beat Alabama who had an uncharacteristic 7-6 year)

2008 --

Western Kentucky, transitional FBS -- 2-10 (2 wins over FCS Eastern Kentucky and Murray St.)

2009 --

Ball St. -- 2-10 (Wins over 0-12 Eastern Michigan and 5-7 Western Michigan)

Western Kentucky -- 0-12

2010 -- 

Florida Atlantic -- 4-8

Cumulative opponents' record, including FCS games 21-39.

Six wins in 3 1/2 seasons.  Three of those wins were over a hapless Western Kentucky team.  Best win appears to be against the juggernaut of Louisiana Monroe. 

It's difficult for me to determine if 2008 under Dodge or 2015 under Mac was the worst season I've seen.  Mac at least fooled me into thinking that he knew what he was doing there in 2013.  Dodge never offered any such comfort, fleeting as it may have been. 

As to high school, discounting the endless resources provided at Southlake and Westlake:

Cameron Yoe -- 8-12

Carrollton Newman Smith -- 9-11

Keller Fossil Ridge 7-12

Marble Falls 8-12

So best assessment I can objectively give after looking through the records is that if you give him the best of the best of everything, he can coach a Greg McElroy, but if you put him in a position to build from the ground up, well, he ain't no Jim Leavitt. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a good assessment. Newman Smith is always trash. Cameron Yoe is normally a solid program but you’re talking about a school with 500 kids total. You guys just hate this man and you honestly know absolutely zero about coaching the game of football. He had a bad run here. It happens. He isn’t a terrible coach. You can’t say he is based on what he did here, he was in a shit situation. Good thing your every move in your career isn’t blasted on a message board. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 6

35 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Not a good assessment. Newman Smith is always trash. Cameron Yoe is normally a solid program but you’re talking about a school with 500 kids total. You guys just hate this man and you honestly know absolutely zero about coaching the game of football. He had a bad run here. It happens. He isn’t a terrible coach. You can’t say he is based on what he did here, he was in a shit situation. Good thing your every move in your career isn’t blasted on a message board. 

No, in my field the mistakes are blasted in the local press, every coffee shop, thousands of message boards and...IF I were as bad at my job as Dodge was while here...it would be on CNN and Fox News because somebody is dead or at least wrongfully beaten

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Dodge wins while at UNT and those teams' records:

2007 --

Western Kentucky, transitional FBS -- 7-5 (All 7 wins over FCS opponents)

Louisiana Monroe -- 6-6 (This team actually beat Alabama who had an uncharacteristic 7-6 year)

2008 --

Western Kentucky, transitional FBS -- 2-10 (2 wins over FCS Eastern Kentucky and Murray St.)

2009 --

Ball St. -- 2-10 (Wins over 0-12 Eastern Michigan and 5-7 Western Michigan)

Western Kentucky -- 0-12

2010 -- 

Florida Atlantic -- 4-8

Cumulative opponents' record, including FCS games 21-39.

Six wins in 3 1/2 seasons.  Three of those wins were over a hapless Western Kentucky team.  Best win appears to be against the juggernaut of Louisiana Monroe. 

It's difficult for me to determine if 2008 under Dodge or 2015 under Mac was the worst season I've seen.  Mac at least fooled me into thinking that he knew what he was doing there in 2013.  Dodge never offered any such comfort, fleeting as it may have been. 

As to high school, discounting the endless resources provided at Southlake and Westlake:

Cameron Yoe -- 8-12

Carrollton Newman Smith -- 9-11

Keller Fossil Ridge 7-12

Marble Falls 8-12

So best assessment I can objectively give after looking through the records is that if you give him the best of the best of everything, he can coach a Greg McElroy, but if you put him in a position to build from the ground up, well, he ain't no Jim Leavitt. 

I don’t know about the other schools but I do know that Fossil Ridge was a relatively  new school when he was there. I know because we played against him in HS. He was their 2nd head coach and started in coaching them in their 3rd football season. They went 2-8 the season before he took the reins.

Edited by Cr1028

1 hour ago, unt_rocket09 said:

The guy wasn’t successful here. It’s noted. Doesn’t mean he is a terrible football coach is all I am saying.  

Agreed. Dodge like any first time college head coach needed a good staff around him. He was able to recruit to some degree. He coached a decent offense. But there were too many gaps because he had a vastly inexperienced coaching staff. Was that all his doing, was his staff pool too small? Who knows. But I'd argue the only way he should have got a crack at the job was if he had a really good staff put together or was willing to work with RV and others to put one together. It was the only way, he had a chance to be successful. He got the staff wrong, the rest is history.

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, emmitt01 said:

I'm guessing you never had to witness his coaching in person?

Rice got to see his coaching in person...

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:55 PM, Cr1028 said:

I did and while Todd Dodge’s teams were frustrating to watch at times, the games were much more fun to watch than 05-06 Dickey. 05-06 were the hardest to watch other than 2015. 2015 was just disgusting.

Wow, those downvoting are saying that Dodge’s team was less entertaining than 05-06 Dickey? I’m guessing you didn’t see that 7OT pillow fight disaster of a game against winless FIU.

I NEVER left a Dodge game thinking how fun it was to watch even though we lost.

23 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

30-20 L to FAU

38-29 L to Arky

31-21 L to ULM

31-27 L to Arky St

2008 awful year 

31-30 L to Ohio

38-34 L to LaLa

44-40 L to FAU

35-28 L to FIU

17-13 L to Army

30-26 L to Arky St

32-31 L to Rice

28-27 L to LaLa

24-19 L to Arky St

41-35 L to Troy

obviously plenty of blowout losses along the way. But some close ass games

It looks like you forgot to post the results of 2008.

6 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Good thing your every move in your career isn’t blasted on a message board. 

Are you serious?  It's blasted everywhere, INCLUDING this very board, by people who know less about how to do his job than you think he knows about football.

22 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Just an aside...after Craig Robertson made a good tackle in the Saints/Panthers game they talked about how this is his first playoff game.  Troy Aikman threw in "never even played in a bowl game in college."  

I forget, which great football mind coached him?  

Dodge has produced more NFL talent than SL as a HC .. 

Sooooooooooo would we rather have Wins and bowl games and no NFL talent, or NFL talent and losing? 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 4