Todd Dodge to UT

H-towngreen

This will be an interesting test as to whether he loves money or glory.  He's making about $130K at Westlake and walks on water in that town.  He goes to UT, he'll likely double the income, but will be mostly anonymous.  He's 54, so he's not a young prospect trying to work his way up the college ladder, so I can't imagine that he's got another FBS head coaching position in mind. 

Edited by oldguystudent

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

He was a hell of an OC and QB coach for us years ago.  Just ask Mitch Mahler. 

This was in reference to when he coached here early in his career, not a sarcastic comment regarding his HC tenure.  I wish him well.  Unfortunately, he was the victim of his own ego and of an AD that allowed him to position himself to fail.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, greenjoe said:

After his distasterous tenure here I would be surprised that any college staff would take a chance on him.  

He went straight from UNT to Pitt.  While I don't recall that stint at Pitt being remarkable, it was not remotely disastrous.

Years ago, Mack Brown referred to Todd Dodge as the "best QB teacher in Texas," or something to that effect.  While I wouldn't want to hire him as a college HC, I would be thrilled to have him as a QB position coach.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, unt_rocket09 said:

I know y’all love to hate on Dodge. Out of boredom the other day I went and looked at the seasons. Many, many 7 point or less losses. Lots of bad luck for TD. He was a good recruiter for sure. He knows QBs and offense. Let your hatred of the guy go. 

I'm guessing you never had to witness his coaching in person?

• Upvote 7
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

I know y’all love to hate on Dodge. Out of boredom the other day I went and looked at the seasons. Many, many 7 point or less losses. Lots of bad luck for TD. He was a good recruiter for sure. He knows QBs and offense. Let your hatred of the guy go. 

So there’s a 3rd column next to W & L titled “losses that weren’t so bad” ?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

Sooo does that mean he knows to  lose, since we said this team knew how to win with close wins?

• Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

I was a student in 2007 when Dodge was hired. I still don’t think he is a terrible coach. We won the Heart of Dallas Bowl With his recruits. I think UNT was in a bad spot when he was here, we are in a much better position now. 

Out of curiosity, have you ever been to Stockholm?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 6

He wanted to hire coach Evans but RV told him no, then changed his mind.  But by then Evans had signed with La Tech forcing Dodge to stay with what he had.  

So at least one of the poor coaching hire decisions was completely out of his control. There could have been others.

If he has the talent the guy is a hell of an offensive coach.

Rick 

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

No.  He was awful and will always be awful...(though part of the problem with the equation was villereal)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

28 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

So you think Todd Dodge is an awful football coach correct? Bc he is a high school coach correct?

I believe that, if he is at a location that has vastly better resources than the competition, he is capable of great success.  But, if he has to actually game manage, outscheme or out-think, he crashes and burns.  

So, yeah, UT may suit him fine.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Out of curiosity, have you ever been to Stockholm?

I did and while Todd Dodge’s teams were frustrating to watch at times, the games were much more fun to watch than 05-06 Dickey. 05-06 were the hardest to watch other than 2015. 2015 was just disgusting.

Wow, those downvoting are saying that Dodge’s team was less entertaining than 05-06 Dickey? I’m guessing you didn’t see that 7OT pillow fight disaster of a game against winless FIU.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

38 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I believe that, if he is at a location that has vastly better resources than the competition, he is capable of great success.  But, if he has to actually game manage, outscheme or out-think, he crashes and burns.  

So, yeah, UT may suit him fine.

Well the in that case all P5 coaches suck. 

5 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

I could be mistaken here, but one of those years he was down to the 3rd string QB fairly early in the season.   Very few teams will win with their 3rd string QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, NT93 said:

I could be mistaken here, but one of those years he was down to the 3rd string QB fairly early in the season.   Very few teams will win with their 3rd string QB.

Yep, in the season he got fired we had 11 starters injured in the first 3 games including Tune and Thompson(qb1 and qb2). Qb turned wr because of ulnar nerve damage Riley Dodge was forced back into a qb role even though he had little to no velocity. Riley got hurt mid-season and qb4 walk-on wr Chase “Tebow” Baine was called to the starting qb role. TD had a bad start due to bad decisions and a bad finish due to bad luck.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1