Bobby Bowden on playing NTSU in the snow 1976

@UNTSportsFan

55 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

FSU played us in Fouts but we cant get a big name team to come to Apogee. I know college football was different in the 1970's. There was more parity in college football then there is now.  The greed of the power conferences is killing college football.

It probably has just as much to do with us quitting and dropping to I-AA as it does power conference exclusion. We were once pretty well known in college football and then we vanished for over a decade.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, CK2 said:

No,  you guys just have incompetent AD after incompetent AD. 

Says the fan of a school of the highest incompetence. How do you allow yourself to go from a school in a power conference to now being just like North Texas in a G5 conference.

It must really suck to know you once part of the club to where Houston has now fallen. What an embarrassment last year when UT made Houston beg and then kicked them to the curb, just because they could. How pathetic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, southsideguy said:

FSU played us in Fouts but we cant get a big name team to come to Apogee. I know college football was different in the 1970's. There was more parity in college football then there is now.  The greed of the power conferences is killing college football.

Also, have to remember, FSU then is not what FSU is now.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

1 hour ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

No kidding! From 1971 thru 1975, FSU went 19-43. We brought them in for an easy win. It was Bowden's first year.

• Downvote 1

This game was scheduled as homecoming and was going to be a sellout and we played them in Tallahassee I believe 2 tears later.

They had a running back named Keys and every time he touched the ball the crowd would rattle their keys. I was at snow game with  

my best friend went to Gibson's(now alumni center) bought clear plastic drop sheets to sit on and pull over our legs. Hayden went for 2 at

end of the game we lost 21-20. When the game was over all the FSU players rolling in snow and having snowball fights.

Good memories

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

No kidding! From 1971 thru 1975, FSU went 19-43. We brought them in for an easy win. It was Bowden's first year.

Did we do for FSU's Bowden same we did for KSU's Bill Snyder? 🙄  

Made the very slow drive from Walnut Hill Drive in Irving for this game.  Several of us sat on plastic.  Our hardy handful  included  GrayEagle, SUMG, Jim & Wanda Parks (who we lost as fans  to 1-AA re-classification) & others. 

As posted, UNT Ticket Mgr. Wayne Ray said pre-game sales would have made this Homecoming a sellout.  (Ex SMU letterman Wayne Ray was conservative & would not have made such a prediction had it not been true).   Still...half a foot of wet snow changed that.  

It was still fun to watch & even more fun to watch the Seminoles post-game snowball fight.

The game made one of the 3 major network's news that evening as they highlighted in their news the orange highway cones used each 10 yards.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Did we do for FSU's Bowden same we did for KSU's Bill Snyder? 🙄  

I don't know, did we do for FAU the same thing we did for Portland State?

Did Todge's loss to Navy help Johnson get the GaTech gig?

How can you sack a QB 7 times in a single game and still get blasted on the scoreboard?  I'm sure Troy was happy to take the W.

What about the ghost TD in Austin 1988?

On one hand it's remarkable that one school can  be on the wrong end of all these historic scores.  On the other, I am pretty f'n tired of being said school.

• Upvote 5

"Coach Bill Petersen made FSU a national name from 1960-1970 until he accepted the HFC's job at Rice University. " 

"From 1972-1974 FSU had a 20 game losing streak & university officials publicly discussed dropping Seminole football."

(from an article in Isportsweb.com)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

8 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I don't know, did we do for FAU the same thing we did for Portland State?

Did Todge's loss to Navy help Johnson get the GaTech gig?

How can you sack a QB 7 times in a single game and still get blasted on the scoreboard?  I'm sure Troy was happy to take the W.

What about the ghost TD in Austin 1988?

On one hand it's remarkable that one school can  be on the wrong end of all these historic scores.  On the other, I am pretty f'n tired of being said school.

Responding to your last sentence:   Methinks we all are, greenminer.😚

• Upvote 1

I will say we have the right guy in the AD spot now.  I think if SL stays a little longer he can build the program or leave us in good shape.  The basketball coach give him one more year and we will be very good.  Why are you on the this forum anyway?  Nothing to talk about on the Houston forum  or it just your a donkey.  This has to be the cougar queen.

Edited by southsideguy

7 hours ago, CK2 said:

It's just easier to call you stupid. 

In 2015 Houston goes 13-1, wins the Peach Bowl and finishes in the Top 10.

UNT loses 66-7 to FCS Portland State.

I'd rather be a has-been like Houston than a never-was like UNT Are you really trying to get destroyed in a smack talk battle? You know what I said was true,  that's why you're butthurt. UNT hasn't had a competent AD ever. Otherwise,  you wouldn't be a Bottom 10 athletic program. 

Well, Hayden Fry was a great AD. He was hired back in the days when head coaches were also the AD.

After that, I have to agree with you 100%. I will also add that our administrators were just as incompetent in their management of our athletic programs. 

This is a University that, up until Jitter Nolan and Hayden Fry came along, forbid any sort of money raising for the athletic department.......or any department for that matter. That's why our endowment fund is a pathetic $309 mil. While Houston (established in 1927) has $716 mil.

They passed on hiring Bill Brasher as Hayden Fry's replacement. He had been Fry's DC and was a North Texas graduate. This would have provided our program with continuity........and possibly a Gary Patterson-like regime.

They hired  Bob Tyler when his bosses at Miss St. advised against it.......passing up Corkey Nelson who also applied for the job. Nelson was finally hired the next year, but had to work with far less resources (moving down to 1-AA)

They then hired Dennis Parker (a High School head coach) to replace Nelson. This actually wasn't as bad a hire as the Dodge hire. Parker had an overall better record, and he did recruit Mitch Maher. 

They eventually hired Craig Helwig, then RV who's first big hire was Todd Dodge, then Mac.

• Upvote 1

I was at that game with my best friend.  After the game, he hurled a snowball at the Florida State team, because none of them had seen snow.  We ended up in a snowball fight with them.  If was a lot of fun and a great memory.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1