WSJ: How Much Is Your College Football Team Worth?

Jason Howeth

For those unable or unwilling to get through the WSJ paywall on this, North Texas comes in at #80 for $29,266,000 just below Fresno St. and just above East Carolina and San Diego St. 

SMU comes in at #74 for $36,047,000

Louisiana Monroe brings up the rear at #115 for $6,792,000

CUSA:

UNT - #80 $29,266,000

FIU - #84 $24,145,000

Marshall - #87 $21,483,000

Rice - #88 $21,453,000

UTEP - #91 $19,344,000

MUTS - #92 $19,322,000

WKY - #97 $16,532,000

Southern Miss - #101  $15,037,000

FAU - #104 $13,221,000

LaTech - #110 $10,836,000

I don't see Old Dominion, Charlotte, UAB, or UTSA.  I'm guessing because those programs are too young to have a measurable value. 

I'm pleasantly surprised to see us at the top of CUSA and mingling with MWC schools in valuation here.  

Many of the AAC schools aren't on the list.  My guess here is that they're private and choose not to divulge the information needed for this list.  The bottom AAC school I see is East Caroline, one spot below North Texas.  The top AAC school I see is Central Florida at #61 and a big leap from UNT's value at $82,302,000. 

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

I hate those kind of articles. They are based on imagination - there is no actual market place to set a price, just the opinion of the author who gets to choose how he values intangibles. 

I think they are as scientific as they can be. Besides, it is interesting to see this information next to our peers to get an outside opinion.

When they value professional teams there is no real way to value a franchise either despite a market for purchase. It all comes down to what someone is willing to pay. The Clippers were not valued anywhere near what was actually paid for them.