Are we rooting for UCF?

10 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I’ll be in the minority.  No to UCF.  Damn Knights have playing football for such a short time, built that crap for a stadium, got into a good CUSA without trying, and are now in the AAC.  Hope Auburn crushes the bastards.  BTW, do I sound bitter?

Like the poster before you said, we need G5s to consistently win these games for the national agenda against G5s to change. If every time a G5 has a perfect or near perfect season they lose their bowl game, we lose credibility. As much as people here don't like it, Herman's Houston was good for us. We needed Western Michigan to beat Wisconsin last year but they didn't and that hurt. We need UCF to win this year. Rooting against UCF is rooting against UNT down the line.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

You root for G5, not necessarily for UCF.  A UCF win is valuable in that it invalidates the "G5 team X doesn't belong in this bowl game because they can't compete with the big boys" argument.  

Only when G5's CONSISTENTLY win these matchups will the casual fan demand an end to the monopoly. 

That was my initial thought. And if this were Boise state or western Michigan I think it would be a no brainer. But the risk in my mind is this validates the AAC alone more than the rest of G5. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, for UCF.  Anyone that takes on an SEC team has my support.  I think the gap between G5 and P5 has Ome about primarily because of SEC practices.  It is not that the other P5 conferences have it joined in but the SEC WOULD LIKE IT TO BE THEM THEN ALL THE OTHERS.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

That was my initial thought. And if this were Boise state or western Michigan I think it would be a no brainer. But the risk in my mind is this validates the AAC alone more than the rest of G5. 

Yes, yes.  It validates the AAC’s hard push for P6 status.  If the AAC gets P6 stature and money, welcome back to D1A and D1AA separation.

• Downvote 1

I get the fear of the AAC. then again that conference is 3-3 this bowl season, which includes a 51-10 drubbing of SMU at La-Techs hands. And I don't think they are gonna let the AAC in unless there is a legal ruling. If they were even remotely close, then this UCF team would have been ranked in the playoffs, after all they were undefeated with several top25 wins, which is not the case for a single one of this seasons playoff teams. A legal ruling however can then be used by all of the G5.

Edited by outoftown

Ok.  I thought it you were saying that it needed to continue that these schools go undefeated and not get a chance at the national championship.  It seemed as though your two statements were contradictory, thus my confusion.  Thanks for clarifying.

• Lovely Take 1

The AAC won't become a power conference because the P5's aren't diluting their monopoly, period.  None of the other schools that crashed the party led their conference to the "next" level either, and it will never happen.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Lovely Take 1

For crap's sake guys...why are we against every G5?  There is an old adage that I've found to be true..."The best way to have a friend is to be one."  

If and when it comes time to move to another conference and no one will support us because we don't like them, we'll bitch and moan.  With the possibility of Connecticut and/or Cincinnati leaving the AAC we could be in line to be a replacement.  Even though it's a G5 conference (and may be as long as the separation exists) it is still a better conference than our existing league.  

Of course, now that it's over and UCF won I can reveal that I was pulling for Auburn.  The reason is that my granddaughter is marrying an Auburn grad this month so it's becoming a family thing.  But secretly I was pulling for the G5 to win and I would have done that even if it had been SMU.  In fact, I don't dislike SMU except when we play them.  I hope that they win every game except with us and we then beat them 70-0.

I realize that every FBS school has UNT haters and vice versa but I hope (for our sake) that that can be held to a minimum.  The rank and file of most are not out to get us unless we give them cause.  Since I'm remembering old sayings here's another of my favorites..."We must all hang together or surely we will all hang separately."

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 4