MGN: NT over UTSA

aztecskin

Nice write-up, I still think that NT can get a lot better.   A promising sign in the UTSA game was that Lawson and Woolridge both were bigger factors than in the conference opener.  

Woolridge was driving the ball more, and Lawson made some big plays.   Temara and Smart have carried this team most of the games.  Lawson to me is still struggling some in McCasland's system and will get better.  To improve though, Simmons, Arikawa, Duffy and Miller have to get better.      

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Good point about Lawson. McCasland apparently was angry with AJ at shoot around. AJ ended up putting in some huge buckets. 

The UTSA - UNT basketball rivalry has some potential there especially if there is some tournament success in the near future. Henson (i think?) has his guys playing better basketball. While WKU/UAB/La Tech/MTSU are good squads they are really far away and it is hard to get hyped about those squads. 

2 hours ago, aztecskin said:

Good point about Lawson. McCasland apparently was angry with AJ at shoot around. AJ ended up putting in some huge buckets. 

The UTSA - UNT basketball rivalry has some potential there especially if there is some tournament success in the near future. Henson (i think?) has his guys playing better basketball. While WKU/UAB/La Tech/MTSU are good squads they are really far away and it is hard to get hyped about those squads. 

Yup. Completely agree with @GrandGreen on Lawson. His shooting percentage is down from 44.6% to 39.5% and he's shooting just 23.7% from three and is taking 2.5 per game. This offense gets him open threes. If he can hit about 33% from three that would be huge for him and the team.

12 hours ago, Shark84 said:

Need to get some help for Wooldridge at PG. He's playing 40 minutes every game. Worry about injury and fatigue catching up later in the season and hopefully the conference tournament.

Yeah that's a Year 2 thing. I bet he doesn't want Ryan playing 40 a night but then again if he can be effective for the full game like he has? Why not?

@BillySee58 I think Lawson is kind of finding his vibe in this offense. Like, he's a slasher, and can take a guy one-on-one but this offense prefers a Smart/Duffy type that can catch-and-shoot and make a play off the pump fake.

He was useful tho, as NT was getting mired in the UTSA zone. Lawson created some of his own offense there. If he can take 5-10 possessions a game where he attacks the basket, it reduces the workload on Woolridge a bit. We rely on Ryan to break down the defense via dribble-drive. Bringing the ball up is a toll, but the real work is in breaking down the defense.