Home Opener Against SMU

AustinFromUNT

10 hours ago, UNTexas said:

I recall little to no penetration by our D-line followed by a QB that passed to several receivers at will. They also had double our rushing yards. Our piss poor special teams performance didn't help matters. Fine thew a couple interceptions too. They beat us in every  phase of the game.

I recall Sutton scoring 24pts by himself because we kept farting on coverage.  Not gonna happen again next season with him (&Quinn) catching passes in the NFL.  I remember Xavier Jones looking pedestrian.

There will be a beat down in Apogee.  Poor ponies.

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Why?  7:00pm on a Saturday night should be doable.

He was commenting on 730 or 8pm starts. But as a parent of two under 4 year olds,  I wouldn't be able to do any thing later than a 630 kick and get back by the kiddos bedtimes. Actually late bed times for them. Both of them enjoy going to the games. 

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Why?  7:00pm on a Saturday night should be doable.

As stated above, it was the 7:30-8 start time that would be an issue. Those start times would mean that the game isn't over until 10:30 at the earliest. 7 means a late bed time for my 6 year old, even on a Saturday, given that we have things going on Sunday mornings.

I get that we want to avoid the heat, but the costs should be considered in planning the times.

5 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

If high schools can have 7pm, and 7:30 starts, we should do that too.  Once the sun goes down it won't be awful.

Bingo!

There is a very high likelihood that someone taking kids of an age where it would matter is not going to stay for the entire game anyway and kids of that age are going to have issues with the heat of the earlier start time.  

A later start time might have the positive effect of allowing parents with kids to finish up kid sports on a Saturday and still make the later kickoff so it seems like it would balance out.  Why not try it a few times and see what happens?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Bingo!

There is a very high likelihood that someone taking kids of an age where it would matter is not going to stay for the entire game anyway and kids of that age are going to have issues with the heat of the earlier start time.  

A later start time might have the positive effect of allowing parents with kids to finish up kid sports on a Saturday and still make the later kickoff so it seems like it would balance out.  Why not try it a few times and see what happens?

As someone who actually uses the stroller room (my kids are 6 & 4), we are not talking about that many people.  I have never seen more than 16 strollers & wagons in the room.  At the end of the game there at usually 2-4 strollers left.  

Moving a single game, isn't going to run off the fan base.   And besides the #apogeedome there is one other solutions for parents #chicfilaconcessionstand.

• Upvote 1

I think I would be on board with the AD moving the time that would get more students there vs making sure that the game isn't too late for someone's toddler.  It would nice to have a later time because it will be more comfortable for students to be there

I have 2 kids under 5.  I am ok with them not making it to the game. 

Edited by MrStrange18
  • Upvote 3

When my kids were younger, I packed their pajamas in the truck.  Game over, change them in the truck prior to leaving, they fell asleep on the way home, carried them to bed.  Since it was only once or twice a year, I was not terribly concerned.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:31 AM, UNTFan23 said:

You should thank the TV coverage as well. It was more to blame for the brutal start time than anything else. 

This.

I think RV was a terrible AD--like worse than anyone we have had, considering the advantages he had over anyone before him. But TV dictated the start of that game. 

And I wouldn't hold my breath on CUSA doing us any favors on a better start time (after 6:00) for our opener against SMU. Based off of how little care they had for our bowl interests after winning the CUSA West division and allowing the I-Bowl to basically choose who they wanted instead of honoring the conference's standings, I expect nothing from CUSA leadership to help us.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

And I wouldn't hold my breath on CUSA doing us any favors on a better start time (after 6:00) for our opener against SMU. Based off of how little care they had for our bowl interests after winning the CUSA West division and allowing the I-Bowl to basically choose who they wanted instead of honoring the conference's standings, I expect nothing from CUSA leadership to help us

I'm not sure the conference has much, if anything, to do with the TV scheduling of OOC games. Viewers with ESPN expect a game to be on at Noon Eastern and ESPN finds a way to have one. 

9 hours ago, Rudy said:

No way RV was worse than Helwig.

They were both terrible. Helwig scheduled better, but he body bagged us to death to fund the program, since the administration didn’t give one crap about athletics at the time.

RV started tailgating and the MGC, as well as getting (fleecing) the UNT 17, but scheduled as if we played at Fouts still. 

On 1/2/2018 at 2:41 PM, forevereagle said:

As stated above, it was the 7:30-8 start time that would be an issue. Those start times would mean that the game isn't over until 10:30 at the earliest. 7 means a late bed time for my 6 year old, even on a Saturday, given that we have things going on Sunday mornings.

I get that we want to avoid the heat, but the costs should be considered in planning the times.

Isn't there a football exception to bedtimes?

On 1/5/2018 at 9:35 PM, VideoEagle said:

I'm not sure the conference has much, if anything, to do with the TV scheduling of OOC games. Viewers with ESPN expect a game to be on at Noon Eastern and ESPN finds a way to have one. 

If it's the way it used to be, home team owns broadcast rights. If you are in a conference, the conference usually has first right to those rights (conference and non conference). So if it still works the same, if ESPN wants the game , they alert CUSA and CUSA tells the school. ESPN sets the game time once they slot it in their schedule. 

• Upvote 1

Looking forward to this game but I desperately want to beat them in Dallas one day.   As for this yearI would be fine even if this is an 11:00 AM kick off at Apogee.   I will we had more day games in late October.  Maybe if we got on a winning streak one of those games are moved up for TV.   

I think the SMU game for the reasons listed in the original post makes this game more important that last year's game.  We have an established incumbent coach, a veteran QB, veteran offensive weapons and home field advantage.  If we can get 26,000+ Apogee should be rocking and difficult for SMU to call audibles on offense.