SBC Bowl Season

MeanGreen_MBA

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

For those that were mortified we had to play a lowly SBC team in our bowl....The SBC is 4-1 in bowls so far.  Not bad for a 3rd class conference. 

Wow. I mean, maybe we could get the object of our obsession (SMU) to get together and head back to the Belt with us. That would be great, wouldn’t it?? 🙄

UNT football fans: lowest standards in college football. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 20

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Wow. I mean, maybe we could get the object of our obsession (SMU) to get together and head back to the Belt with us. That would be great, wouldn’t it?? 🙄

My point is the SVC is playing good football right now. If you can’t see that...well....  FBS is pretty fluid these days with competition. I could argue that the PAC12 is off this year with their bowl record. I don’t think you can put a general net over grading the conferences anymore. Everybody is on TV, and spreads out the talent. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

If only I could find a picture of a shoe horn and a straw man in the shot

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I believe the deeper thinkers don't "want to join the Sun Belt" they want the most efficient alignment of like-minded schools.

Per USA Today, self-generated revenue (ie athletic revenue not from fees, tuition, other non-athletic school funds) 

Marshall $16.5 million

ODU $16 million

USM $16 million

UTEP $14.5 million

FAU $14 million

Charlotte $13 million

UNT $13 million

MTSU $13 million

La.Tech $13 million

WKU $13 million

UTSA $12 million

UAB $11.5 million

FIU $6 million

Sun Belt

A-State $30 million (one-time $10 million in gifts in that)

Troy $17 million

ULL $12 million

Georgia Southern $12 million

App St $11 million

Idaho $10.5 million.

TXST $9.5 million

NMSU $8 million

ULM $7.5 million

Georgia State $7 million

South Al $7 million

Total budgets all source 8 CUSA and 4 Sun Belt spent $30 million or more

ODU, A-State, Charlotte, TXST, UNT, UTEP, UAB, MTSU, FAU, App St, GaSo, Marshall in that order from highest to lowest.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

There is no question the SBC is having one of its best years.  There is also no question that any SBC school invited to join any other conference would jump at the opportunity.

The fact is there is a peaking order in college football, and while individual teams and conferences have single seasons that rise above the pecking order, the pecking order is still there for all of the majority of seasons. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MattMakesLoans said:

There is no question the SBC is having one of its best years.  There is also no question that any SBC school invited to join any other conference would jump at the opportunity.

The fact is there is a peaking order in college football, and while individual teams and conferences have single seasons that rise above the pecking order, the pecking order is still there for all of the majority of seasons. 

Any conference?

$2 million to go to MAC would be hard to explain. Shoot $2 million for the eastern Sun Belt to join MWC would be hard to defend. $2 million to make more money or get on common TV more would be hard to explain.

It was actually a down year in non-conference play for Sun Belt until the bowls.

Edited by Arkstfan
  • Upvote 1

On 12/30/2017 at 11:26 AM, UNT90 said:

Please, stop. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, casual fan said:

SBC or not, Troy is the real deal.  11-2 this year with a win at LSU. 

Last year they were 10-3 with a 30-24 loss to National Champion Clemson.

They should have been ranked.

This is pretty much why I didn't want to play Troy.  There are many P5's out there that I'd rather play than Troy because we had a better chance of winning AND winning would have opened some eyes.  Troy was a no win situation.  Beat them and no one's impressed lose to them and...well you see what happens, especially when you get taken out behind the woodshed.  (And don't get me wrong, I think there are several teams that Troy would have taken to the woodshed, but most of America doesn't know that.)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, casual fan said:

SBC or not, Troy is the real deal.  11-2 this year with a win at LSU. 

Last year they were 10-3 with a 30-24 loss to National Champion Clemson.

They should have been ranked.

Choosing conference affiliation isn't just about athletic success.  You want to be associated with schools that aren't an academic embarrassment.  I want better for UNT than to be associated with Troy.  Arrogant?  Yeah, but that's life.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NT93 said:

This is pretty much why I didn't want to play Troy.  There are many P5's out there that I'd rather play than Troy because we had a better chance of winning AND winning would have opened some eyes.  Troy was a no win situation.  Beat them and no one's impressed lose to them and...well you see what happens, especially when you get taken out behind the woodshed.  (And don't get me wrong, I think there are several teams that Troy would have taken to the woodshed, but most of America doesn't know that.)

I think the perception among our fans is bad due to them being in the Sunbelt but I think Troy has a pretty good reputation nationally. I'd bet their brand value/awareness (as well as Arkansas State's) is just as strong gas any CUSA or current Mountain West team. They've won 8 games 7 or more times in the last 14 years and have a couple of P5. They've beaten LSU, Troy, Oklahoma State, and Mississippi State since 2000. Played a bunch of other teams including Clemson last year tough. I'm not saying they are a big time team, but I think their national perception is way better than some on this board give them credit for.

• Upvote 2

On 12/31/2017 at 9:39 PM, meangreenJW said:

I think the perception among our fans is bad due to them being in the Sunbelt but I think Troy has a pretty good reputation nationally. I'd bet their brand value/awareness (as well as Arkansas State's) is just as strong gas any CUSA or current Mountain West team. They've won 8 games 7 or more times in the last 14 years and have a couple of P5. They've beaten LSU, Troy, Oklahoma State, and Mississippi State since 2000. Played a bunch of other teams including Clemson last year tough. I'm not saying they are a big time team, but I think their national perception is way better than some on this board give them credit for.

It's all about brand now as we move out of the carriage fee economy and will have to make our media revenue from ads and subscriptions.

If that trend firms up the value in video is going to be in the visitors. The people who care enough to watch and subscribe are normally going to be at the stadium for home games. 

Takes me back to my theory of realignment law. You want teams that are close but not too close. In general the ideal realignment target should not be so close that you compete with them for local media or non-affiliated fan ticket sales but keep your costs and time on the road which adds up in missed class time, money spent on meals and hotels to a minimum. 

• Lovely Take 1

On 12/31/2017 at 5:07 PM, GTWT said:

Choosing conference affiliation isn't just about athletic success.  You want to be associated with schools that aren't an academic embarrassment.  I want better for UNT than to be associated with Troy.  Arrogant?  Yeah, but that's life.  

I thought we still have that same issue with UTSA.

19 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

It's all about brand now as we move out of the carriage fee economy and will have to make our media revenue from ads and subscriptions.

If that trend firms up the value in video is going to be in the visitors. The people who care enough to watch and subscribe are normally going to be at the stadium for home games. 

Takes me back to my theory of realignment law. You want teams that are close but not too close. In general the ideal realignment target should not be so close that you compete with them for local media or non-affiliated fan ticket sales but keep your costs and time on the road which adds up in missed class time, money spent on meals and hotels to a minimum. 

Your Jonesboro theory does not apply to us.  But you would like it if we acted like it did. I want the best for stAte. Your tiny school off the beaten path has overcome enormous adversity and has earned respect. But we have to go a very different way to achieve our potential. The schools are not comparable and it is a testament to decades of failed leadership that they can be mentioned in the same discussion. We can’t look down on SBC institutions at this time. And we can’t look at them as our future either.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Your Jonesboro theory does not apply to us.  But you would like it if we acted like it did. I want the best for stAte. Your tiny school off the beaten path has overcome enormous adversity and has earned respect. But we have to go a very different way to achieve our potential. The schools are not comparable and it is a testament to decades of failed leadership that they can be mentioned in the same discussion. We can’t look down on SBC institutions at this time. And we can’t look at them as our future either.

If you think markets are the driving force today in television let me direct you to the most recent CUSA or contract or point out that AAC has the largest "market footprint" of any Division I league and they still don't have a deal as rich at the Big East deal that doesn't include football.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:52 PM, Arkstfan said:

I believe the deeper thinkers don't "want to join the Sun Belt" they want the most efficient alignment of like-minded schools.

Per USA Today, self-generated revenue (ie athletic revenue not from fees, tuition, other non-athletic school funds) 

Marshall $16.5 million

ODU $16 million

USM $16 million

UTEP $14.5 million

FAU $14 million

Charlotte $13 million

UNT $13 million

MTSU $13 million

La.Tech $13 million

WKU $13 million

UTSA $12 million

UAB $11.5 million

FIU $6 million

Sun Belt

A-State $30 million (one-time $10 million in gifts in that)

Troy $17 million

ULL $12 million

Georgia Southern $12 million

App St $11 million

Idaho $10.5 million.

TXST $9.5 million

NMSU $8 million

ULM $7.5 million

Georgia State $7 million

South Al $7 million

Total budgets all source 8 CUSA and 4 Sun Belt spent $30 million or more

ODU, A-State, Charlotte, TXST, UNT, UTEP, UAB, MTSU, FAU, App St, GaSo, Marshall in that order from highest to lowest.

Yeah but you have to be in Jonesboro.

7 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

If you think markets are the driving force today in television let me direct you to the most recent CUSA or contract or point out that AAC has the largest "market footprint" of any Division I league and they still don't have a deal as rich at the Big East deal that doesn't include football.

I don’t even think of it about markets or TV. I do think where can we get to easy on flights, who has the best programs for us to play, and in my best dreams I think we should align with the places like South Florida, Houston, San Diego etc. that nominally represent a geographic place that is a populous area. It would make sense for all those kinds of places that are presently spread across 3 conferences. But I don’t say that because of market. It would just be a good defining conference identity, something all 3 of those conferences lack currently. Short of something like that, if we can’t get in AAC, then we need to get in MW ASAP, and obviously that does not involve just a bus ride. It sounds like a challenge cause of lack of TV monies, but those schools will make it happen and so can we.

• Upvote 1