Something I HATE

El Paso Eagle

13 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I cannot stand the players who sit out Bowl games to "not risk" themselves for the upcoming draft. 

CBS just interviewed the Defensive star for NC State - not about the team (still loves them) but "looking out for himself"

I know others might disagree but this is not one of the good things.

I agree as a fan but from his perspective I understand why. Injuries can happen during any game but if you don't have to play the game and you're already viewed as a first round or high second round pick, why risk your future? He has the opportunity to provide for his family and set himself up financially for the rest of his life. An injury in a meaningless game takes all of that away. No amount of "injury insurance" or whatever they call it will make up for what they COULD get as a first round pick playing a full career. Yes, his teammates would appreciate him on the field one last time but they won't be the ones paying his bills in 10 years and neither will the school.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I cannot stand the players who sit out Bowl games to "not risk" themselves for the upcoming draft. 

CBS just interviewed the Defensive star for NC State - not about the team (still loves them) but "looking out for himself"

I can't blame them. College football makes so much money and the players want a big pay day. The coaches have zero loyalty so you can't expect the player to risk their future while everyone around them gets rich. Most of these bowl games are meaningless anyway. Look no further than Jaylon Smith. He got lucky the Cowboys took a chance on him in the second round. It still cost him huge money.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I agree with you...I understand why they do it....but don't like it one bit.  Also, why is the team allowing him to fly on their plan, stay in the hotel, eat the food, but not play in the game.....  What if the plane crashes????  He is walking out on them....I understand the reason, but he is not a part of this team anymore.  Why didn't he miss games during the regular season if it is just for the money????  He would still get drafted....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I really don't see how you can blame them, considering what is at stake. Also, I don't think it's being a bad teammate at all. I'm sure these guys' backups are stoked to get an extended opportunity, and the coaches get some extra film and experimenting on how they are going to fill that starting position going forward.

Also, getting drafted high is big for the program and the school. Could you imagine if we had a player who was projected as a near lock to break our draft drought, and they suffered a Jaylon Smith type injury and went undrafted as a result? 

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I agree with you...I understand why they do it....but don't like it one bit.  Also, why is the team allowing him to fly on their plan, stay in the hotel, eat the food, but not play in the game.....  What if the plane crashes????  He is walking out on them....I understand the reason, but he is not a part of this team anymore.  Why didn't he miss games during the regular season if it is just for the money????  He would still get drafted....

I have a real easy answer for you, he's part of the team and everyone in the organization understands why he isn't playing. These coaches always preach to take care of each other. They are taking care of one of their own. The players don't hold it against the coaches when they leave them for a better job. This young man is making a decision for he and his family's future and everyone in the sport understands that and his school is supporting him.

Either way what is the school supposed to do? Is the school supposed to tell him to pound sand? That would do really great things for recruiting...

• Thanks 1

Oh, and what else is coming is the player who decides to sit out the incarnate word or Bethune cookman game because it’s not in “his” best interest.  I feel that the pros are going to ruin college ball like they did college b-ball in so many ways. 

Oh well there are linings to being G5. Now let’s be a power G5.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

When is it okay to start using that as a reason to stop playing for your team? Hit the 7th loss so stop playing? Eliminated from the conference race but still have a good team record? 

Haven’t seen answers to this question from the folks that think sitting out is okay.   I’m curious too.  If the bowl game isn’t worth anything to the player, what is at the college level?  Is it okay once they clinch the conference?  Bowl eligible?   Does anything really matter to the player if they think they’ll be drafted?

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

When is it okay to start using that as a reason to stop playing for your team? Hit the 7th loss so stop playing? Eliminated from the conference race but still have a good team record? 

You're confusing regular season from unrelated random bowl game barely 2 months ahead of the NFL combine (next one is February 27th). If you can't understand the difference then I'm sorry.

And in case you hadn't realized, pro teams do it all the time. Cowboys have placed Tyron Smith and Orlando Scandrick on IR. Packers placed Aaron Rodgers on IR 2 days after being eliminated from the playoff race (currently being investigated by the NFL at the request of other teams). NFL and NBA teams do it all the time before the playoffs when they've locked up their division/playoff seed.

You're looking at it from a fan percpective. From a business perceptive you are wrong. That is, unless you know better than all the pros doing it. In case you hadn't noticed, this a business decision for those getting ready to be drafted.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

48 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Does anything really matter to the player if they think they’ll be drafted?

Quick answer is, no. We've seen it recently with Jadavious Clowney who was consensus number 1 pick before he played his final season at South Carolina. They knew they weren't competition for the championship most of the year and you could see it in his effort. Most scouts started to be concerned with his motor because of it. Unless the player plays for a top contender, I've seen several slow down as the year goes on once they are eliminated. Leonard Fournette is another who had a "down" final year at LSU. Look at him now in the NFL. That talent didn't wash away for a semester.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

8 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

You're confusing regular season from unrelated random bowl game barely 2 months ahead of the NFL combine (next one is February 27th). If you can't understand the difference then I'm sorry.

And in case you hadn't realized, pro teams do it all the time. Cowboys have placed Tyron Smith and Orlando Scandrick on IR. Packers placed Aaron Rodgers on IR 2 days after being eliminated from the playoff race (currently being investigated by the NFL at the request of other teams). NFL and NBA teams do it all the time before the playoffs when they've locked up their division/playoff seed.

You're looking at it from a fan percpective. From a business perceptive you are wrong. That is, unless you know better than all the pros doing it. In case you hadn't noticed, this a business decision for those getting ready to be drafted.

Not trying to start/fuel an argument here but I quotes the post that called bowl games in general meaningless, which I understand that perspective. My semi-rhetorical questions stemmed from that definition, as in if a kid isn't competing for a national or maybe conference championship it seems one could logically extend that line of reasoning earlier in the season. Obviously that calcation is already made by those that go pro early. 

I think most of us try to maintain the illusion that there is a difference between the pro and college game - a difference that is rapidly diminishing. Kids skipping "meaningless" games reinforces the notion that college (at least at higher levels) is now more like a farm system for the NFL. 

I am thinking of it from a fan perspective because I am also a client. I want to see the best product on the field. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Not trying to start/fuel an argument here but I quotes the post that called bowl games in general meaningless, which I understand that perspective. My semi-rhetorical questions stemmed from that definition, as in if a kid isn't competing for a national or maybe conference championship it seems one could logically extend that line of reasoning earlier in the season. 

I addressed this in response to somebody else a few posts up. Essentially, you are correct in that kids will do this even if they haven't officially declared yet. Your recent examples of players sitting out who had already proven themselves are Clowney (South Carolina 1st overall to Texans) and Fournette (LSU 4th overall pick to the Jags). Both of the aforementioned had "down" years their final year in college and even missed games for what appeared to be minor injuries or in some cases just laziness in the game. They weren't trying to get banged up and ruin their draft stock. Clowney even ended up having some question his motor. This happens throughout regular seasons more than you think from players and coaches at the pro and college level.

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

but I quotes the post that called bowl games in general meaningless, which

Meaningless to the post, but ask the fans of that University if the bowl game is meaningless.  You know, fans that potentially donated money to a scholarship for the player, or stadium expansion.  Those fans.

• Upvote 1

Jake Butt from Michigan is a good example of why they’re skipping. He was a projected 1st round TE last year but tore his ACL in the orange bowl. He ended up being drafted in the 5th round which meant less money and he’s been on IR this whole season due to his injury.

Edited by brooks91
  • Upvote 2

Right, because it’s not like coaches screw over players and leave for a better job before the bowl game, right? 

And every school refuses to pull scholarships if the player turns out to be a bust, right? 

Good for these kids. They are making smart decisions to protect their future earnings FOR THE REST OF THEIR VERY SHORT NFL CAREER. 

What this poster really means is “I want them to do what’s best for me because, dangummit, I like me some college football and I could give a crap about any kid actually playing it!”

Tough titty. Good for the kids. Hope they get paid as much as possible and have a successful NFL career.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

I don't necessarily like it but I understand it and 90 is right....this started with coaches doing what's best for their financial selves.  And yes....a player should do what's best for his family. These prospects promised momma a new house when they signed their LOI out of high school. Hard to put that at risk when you're so close.

The challenge will be when it's not a "meaningless" bowl. An Ohio St player skipped the Cotton Bowl last night (can't remember his name) for his draft status. This is probably the top bowl not in a playoff.

Where's the line? It will be interesting to see what happens when a NC semi final game is skipped. It will happen.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1