‘18 Tyree Thompson LB (LA Valley CC)

BTG_Fan1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

Total speculation, but I like to think the kid wants to come to Denton but his immediate circle of family and friends wants him at Vandy.

Just as much speculation as any other reason posted.

Sure, the SEC is a lure, but Vandy is a bottom feeder that rarely goes bowling.  If football success and making yourself known to scouts is the basis of the decision, then it is a poor one. If it is education based, then it is tough to pass up Vandy. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Just as much speculation as any other reason posted.

Sure, the SEC is a lure, but Vandy is a bottom feeder that rarely goes bowling.  If football success and making yourself known to scouts is the basis of the decision, then it is a poor one. If it is education based, then it is tough to pass up Vandy. 

Vandy lost multiple LBs this year... come here and compete for a job, or go and compete at Vandy with the education?

Also, the bottom feeder of the SEC is still light years ahead of wherever UNT will be in the next 2 years or any other CUSA program

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Vandy lost multiple LBs this year... come here and compete for a job, or go and compete at Vandy with the education?

Also, the bottom feeder of the SEC is still light years ahead of wherever UNT will be in the next 2 years or any other CUSA program

Not aimed at anyone in particular and I am as guilty as anyone.

Anyone that uses "light years" to denote differences even in exaggerated manner really is not thinking about the vastness that implies.   

The difference in an education between Vanderbilt and NT would not even be a blip on the scale of light years.   As far as on the football field, there are a lot of CUSA teams that can compete with Vanderbilt. 

I

• Upvote 2

Hey - let's give the staff credit for getting on this kid.  They got close.  Apparently Vandy saw his commit and changed their slow-play strategy.  Typically a school like Vandy is going to try and get high school players but times are a changing.  Heck, even UT and Tom Herman signed a juco offensive lineman a couple of weeks ago and it was supposedly "critical" to their 2018 season prospects.

I personally feel like the early bowl game was somewhat of a hindrance in terms of signing mid term jucos.  Now we will have to take our chances on some difference makers who may not be here until the Fall.

On English,  I remain hopeful, but let's be honest, he hasn't played in a couple of years and will be at best rusty.  Also we need a LOT more depth on defense, especially in the front seven and I haven't seen that we have done a lot in that particular regard.

On 1/8/2018 at 11:32 AM, GrandGreen said:

Not aimed at anyone in particular and I am as guilty as anyone.

Anyone that uses "light years" to denote differences even in exaggerated manner really is not thinking about the vastness that implies.   

The difference in an education between Vanderbilt and NT would not even be a blip on the scale of light years.   As far as on the football field, there are a lot of CUSA teams that can compete with Vanderbilt. 

I

Agreed. Sure maybe there's some pedigree and prestige in a Vandy education but as long as you put in the effort, a UNT education can be just as good. Same with job prospects post-graduation. I know good UT Austin grads in STEM who are struggling a lot more than me (also in STEM) with finding quality jobs in their fields.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...