The number is 9 now

Eagleisland

25 minutes ago, MattMakesLoans said:

This is the type of post that makes me think we should shut the message board down in the off season.  Posts so blind by their rage, they ignore simple fact.  Fanatical rage, nothing more.

The team won 9 games, that happened.

The team competed game in and game out, through the end of the fourth quarter.  That fight till the end attitude that we saw at the SMU game, is what paid dividends in all those 4th quarter comebacks.

They competed vs FAU, SMU and Troy? Lol they put up stats vs SMU because SMU played their backups and played off allowing for UNT to move the ball 

No rage at all, it’s just funny to think people think this is a legitimate 9 win team.. we would get our butts kicked any other 9 win team.. Heck UH would mop the floor with us.. 

• Downvote 4

48 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We are not a 9 win team.. we got lucky and that stats back it up..

If you watch this team and think its a 9-win team you are very very very blind and just biased... Troy ran us out of the building, FAU treated us a rag doll multiple times, SMU spanked us and we alone made Sutton Millions of dollars for his 2 most recent UNT Games.. Army we knew the plays and they still ran for 500 yards.. UAB and UTSA we got lucky that we had a few seconds left and that they were not able to get the ball back with any time (thank god reff was the DC and allowed them to score with so much time left!) 

LT finished +66 but yet had more losses than us, USM was +61... FIU was -37 and had more wins.. We should have be at 0 but thank god for Franklin of FAU dropping the ball on the 1 in the championship game..

You guys can think this is a legit 9-win team, but we struggled vs teams that were 6-6 (LT, UTSA) and got destroyed by better teams like Troy and FAU... Lets hope these single digit wins turn in multiple score wins next year but its not likely.. So keep drinking the mean green kool-aid..

Only stats I care about are the W’s & L’s. We won 9. Lost 5. End of story.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Ya we won close games. We still WON them. I’m about to block the idiots of the board. Can you imagine? Well the Patriots barely won some Super Bowls, the Giants got lucky!  Doesn’t count!

When we are barely winning our super bowl, then I’ll eat crow.. 

But not vs a 6-6 LT team that has its starting Centerfielder at QB, or in an important game (like both FAU games) and the players on defense and offense no show.. 

You guys are fine with these close games, but other fans want to see bigger Wins and that is how you get a bigger donor base and students coming back.. win with style and not be the team that skates by..

• Downvote 2

Looks like we need to go 9-5 against the sec West to feel great about our growing program. Sorry.  This team is full of winners and we are going to keep on accomplishing.  The bus is warmed up, lights on music up, jump on board! 

GMG

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, NM Green said:

The Antifa crowd refuses to recognize 9 wins for what’s it worth and all the blood sweat and tears that went into thAt accomplishment. You Call 9 wins lucky, I call 9 wins a fantastic season. But That’s just my perspective. 

GMG

Good thing no blood, sweat, etc were wasted in the FAU beatdowns, the Troy implosion, among other games because they weren’t important 

• Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, NM Green said:

Looks like we need to go 9-5 against the sec West to feel great about our growing program. Sorry.  This team is full of winners and we are going to keep on accomplishing.  The bus is warmed up, lights on music up, jump on board! 

GMG

Not at all.. sorry but fans should want to see statement wins and style wins, not get by wins.. that is why we never got any Top 25 votes like FAU.. 

FAU and UNT had basically the same schedule basically and FAU flat out beat down schools.. that’s why they got votes... When your a G5 you have to win and do it in blowout fashion not close games because the UABs of the world are nothing like the P5 match’s...

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

Do you realize how good fau is?  They are top 25 worthy I saw them in person.  We are coming, but nowhere near fau.

That doesn’t mean we didn’t have an awesome growing season.  We are coming.  I will Be there - since 1986.

Go Mean Green!!!!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We are not a 9 win team.. we got lucky and that stats back it up..

And we wonder why we can't ever get the rocket off the launch pad when the program hits a mark that has only been hit six times previously.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, NM Green said:

Do you realize how good fau is?  They are top 25 worthy I saw them in person.  We are coming, but nowhere near fau.

That doesn’t mean we didn’t have an awesome growing season.  We are coming.  I will Be there - since 1986.

Go Mean Green!!!!!

The point of comparing UNT to FAU/Troy is because those are teams that are solid 9-win teams..

It was brought up repeatedly on here why UNT doesn’t get Top 25 votes and it’s because the state do no reflect a solid 9-win program. Barely getting by in wins pad the W/L totals but does nothing to sway voters that do not watch UNT. 

UNT was a 6-7 win team that won 9, and it showed vs Troy.. people can say it was a 9-win team but we got beat down by a much better Troy team.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

And we wonder why we can't ever get the rocket off the launch pad when the program hits a mark that has only been hit six times previously.

Sorry the truth sucks, but this was a 6-7 win team that won 9.. Just ask FAU, SMU, Troy if we were a 9 win and they will laugh.. oh also UTSA player (s) even laughed at our performance we can laugh that they got left at home but they got screwed.. 

We had 1 solid  win that we legitimately looked like a force and it was USM. Outside of that we did not look like a 9 win team.. 

If you want this rocket to take off, blow out SMU, beat Ark @ Ark and handle business in conference.. 

• Downvote 5

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Sorry the truth sucks, but this was a 6-7 win team that won 9.. Just ask FAU, SMU, Troy if we were a 9 win and they will laugh.. oh also UTSA player (s) even laughed at our performance we can laugh that they got left at home but they got screwed.. 

We had 1 solid  win that we legitimately looked like a force and it was USM. Outside of that we did not look like a 9 win team.. 

If you want this rocket to take off, blow out SMU, beat Ark @ Ark and handle business in conference.. 

I get that we had an awful defense that gave up lots of points but at the same time, numerous offensive records were set this year. Do those not count? I hate seeing people put down the team when they went out there and gave their all to get nine wins. Close wins are still wins.

Ugh. This board is a miserable place to be anymore ...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

UNT was a 6-7 win team that won 9, and it showed vs Troy.. people can say it was a 9-win team but we got beat down by a much better Troy team.

Your heart is in the right place, but your tongue is a misbegotten messenger for it. This team won 9 games. Many of those wins were close and the result of a combination of tenacity, heart, and luck. This team, as currently configured, cannot expect to win 9 every year. Obviously. It was a fortunate confluence of circumstances. Best To enjoy it. To do so regularly, the coaches need to improve recruiting and scheme fundamentals, and players will need to execute better. They know that. They'll work on it. And if they don't improve that, they know what'll eventually happen. But to piss all over them as if it's a truth shower is just flat out embarrassing. 

• Upvote 1

So what record would you like us to settle in at even though the record books will show 9 wins? Just curious.  Listening 👂 

army was a heck of a win too not just southern miss.  

Waiting. 6-8 7-7? Waiting 

Oh and utsa army southern miss uab la tech if they would have won would they be begging their teams not to count the unt win?  Sad if so but somehow I doubt it.

be an osu fan.  Legitimate 9 plus team win team lots of fans and easy to cheer for.  There’s always a happy place.

gmg

3 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I get that we had an awful defense that gave up lots of points but at the same time, numerous offensive records were set this year. Do those not count? I hate seeing people put down the team when they went out there and gave their all to get nine wins. Close wins are still wins.

Ugh. This board is a miserable place to be anymore ...

This team could have done a lot more if the defense was just a 70-80th ranked defense not 110+.. Yes it was a great offense because it had to produce non-stop.. Also, this is CUSA where it’s easy to put up offense as well.. 

You can be mad that this team gave it’s all, but this team folded in statement games repeatedly.. The FAU game was a potential statement game but the players thought they had it made after beating UTSA of all schools.. Army a potential statement game we couldn’t stop them for the life of us.. Championship we look terrible.. Bowl game as well we looked like a joke.. 

They better come out on fire next year and beat down SMU if they want to get fans back on the train because the last 2 games left a very bad taste in many people mouths..

Sorry, but I sat through all the close misses against Texas Kansas state Idaho Navy, the entire Todd dodge era where we lost every close game.  I don’t look down upon a close win ever.  

Some call it luck I call it clutch. Next year I hope this team wins with some style points to appease the whole base.

Love me some NewDenton!

GMG

17 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

This team could have done a lot more if the defense was just a 70-80th ranked defense not 110+.. Yes it was a great offense because it had to produce non-stop.. Also, this is CUSA where it’s easy to put up offense as well.. 

You can be mad that this team gave it’s all, but this team folded in statement games repeatedly.. The FAU game was a potential statement game but the players thought they had it made after beating UTSA of all schools.. Army a potential statement game we couldn’t stop them for the life of us.. Championship we look terrible.. Bowl game as well we looked like a joke.. 

They better come out on fire next year and beat down SMU if they want to get fans back on the train because the last 2 games left a very bad taste in many people mouths..

How many 9 win seasons have you personally witnessed? I've now personally witnessed three of seven of them (2003, 2013, 2017). Two happened in the 70s (1977 & 1978) under Fry. One was back in 1947 and again in 1959, both under Odus Mitchell.

In 100+ years of fielding a team, there have been only 7 seasons of 9 or more wins. This is a program that has a record of 493–490–33 (.501). One average, that is a 9-win season every 14 years. I understand we didn't always play 9 or more games every year but this is a watermark rarely seen. Lets try not to put down someone's hard earned accomplishments because we didn't dominate every opponent we managed to score more points than they scored against us.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, NM Green said:

So what record would you like us to settle in at even though the record books will show 9 wins? Just curious.  Listening 👂 

army was a heck of a win too not just southern miss.  

Waiting. 6-8 7-7? Waiting 

Army was an impressive offensive game but again it’s not going to sway people to vote or view UNT as s legitimate 9 win team.. USM was a “statement” game because it a better team and we shut them down on defense and was in control when we were on offense and control Special teams as well. 

we should have put up that many points on Army no matter what because of the restrictions put on Army recruiting and height/weight standards, etc.. 

Them bullying us was pathetic when we were on defense.. that was our 3rd time seeing them in like 13-14 months..

7 minutes ago, NM Green said:

Oh and utsa army southern miss uab la tech if they would have won would they be begging their teams not to count the unt win?  Sad if so but somehow I doubt it.

be an osu fan.  Legitimate 9 plus team win team lots of fans and easy to cheer for.  There’s always a happy place.

gmg

When I say we aren’t a 9win team it’s becAuse if you looked at the stats we were not a 9 win team.. other teams in our conference like USM had a point margin of+ 67 compared to ours was +7, which should be 0 because of the FAU Franklin fumble instead of TD in the champion game. if we had rolled out just that you would assume the +67 was 9-5 and not 8-5.. hell FIU was -33 and as 8-5.. does that mean FIU is as good as USM, it’s a 100 Point difference!

This team did not control any sufficient game outside of USM.. UTSA, UAB, Army, LT were all to close for us to be viewed as a legitimate 9 win team.. 9 win teams go out and dominate and beat down team, not hang on by a fingernail vs 6-6 teams repeatedly like LT/UTSA and don’t lose by 20+ to teams like SMU, let alone be viewed as a CUSA power when we get spanked by a SBC team, on top of the spanking we took from FAU.

13 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

This is literally like the OU fans who bitched about all the national championship games they lost without giving any credit for being in them. Just immature ignorance. You wanna say the defense wasn't good. Fine. No one is arguing. Certainly  there are some caveats (offensive style put D back out there quick even when we scored, etc.). You can also look at all air raid type teams and most have defenses that struggle. 

Where you get flat silly is saying criticizing the teams success. We won nine games. Yes, some were close and we won them all. You yourself say statistics show we shouldn't have won them all. Well then our coaches and this team overcame the odds and executed down the stretch. A coaching staff this is just in it's second year and so far is averaging 7 wins per year at a place that has averaged 4 over 53 FBS seasons and had been to 1 bowl in 12 seasons while averaging 3 wins per season under 3 different coaches. 

So having expectations for the defense to improve is fine. Acting like this hasn't been a great year and this staff hasn't done a great job is asinine.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

How many 9 win seasons have you personally witnessed? I've now personally witnessed three of seven of them (2003, 2013, 2017). Two happened in the 70s (1977 & 1978) under Fry. One was back in 1947 and again in 1959, both under Odus Mitchell.

In 100+ years of fielding a team, there have been only 7 seasons of 9 or more wins. This is a program that has a record of 493–490–33 (.501). One average, that is a 9-win season every 14 years. I understand we didn't always play 9 or more games every year but this is a watermark rarely seen. Lets try not to put down someone's hard earned accomplishments because we didn't dominate every opponent we managed to score more points than they scored against us.

Exactly. And that all time record gets a lot worse if you take out the D2 and FCS years. All the sudden average record is 4-8. I expect better. I think we all do especially because the University is putting more emphasis on athletics than ever before. But ignoring the progress being made is the path of a damn fool. 

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Put down? dude I have been saying we need to expect more! You and others that defend it as a legitimate 9-win are putting them down and the program.. Don’t be okay with a 3 UAB win, when most everyone in that prediction thread called for a blow out.. 

Saying it’s okay for us to have close games vs teams that we should be beating down is pathetic.. Army shouldn’t have hung around that long.. UTSA had 0 offense this year but still produced vs our defense.. LT had a baseball player at QB and hung around for us to win because they missed potential GW FG. These are games we should have won by 14+ but didnt.