FIRE ON DENTON SQUARE

Hardly football related but there was a major fire the early hours of December 26 destroying or damaging much of the east side of the Downtown Denton Square.  The fire started in the Mini Mall and it is gone.  The Jupiter House and La De Da on either side of the MM had smoke and water damage.  The Courthouse on the Square will be closed until Thursday because of smoke damage.  Thankfully there were no injuries.  

I used to live in the apartment directly above La Di Da (was the original location for Jupiter House when I lived there...cheap coffee and free wifi were top perks at that time for me)

that was probably the greatest place I've ever lived.

really wonder why I left sometimes

• Upvote 2

There was the original Mini Mall, and then Mini Mall II - were both destroyed?

Question to those older than me - Before Golden Triangle Mall was built, two of the three department stores (Sears, Penneys, Montgomery Ward) were in those buildings - which ones?  I know the other was on University Drive by then.

9 hours ago, greenjoe said:

The Mini Mall was Bealls.  Sears was across what is now Hypnotic Donuts (KDNT Radio).  Montgomery Ward was where DIX Conet Island is now.  And I think McNeils is where JC Penney used to be.  I may be wrong here.

This is the third Square fire I have lived through.

Sears (and I believe Bealls also) was located on University at the end of the strip close to the Movie Tavern before moving to the mall.  Might have been on the square before that.  Penney was located at the other end of the University strip in the building now housing Kroger.  Again, might have been on the square before that, but my recollection is from the early 70's.

You're right on both counts.  But before that, when University Drive was still called Highway 24, all the above stores were on or around the Square.  For a real Denton trivia win, the first store on the west side of the original Denton Center was Tom Thumb.  Where The Drug Emporium is now. 

I believe I agreed with you--twice!

Stix asked where those stores were before they moved to the mall and mentioned one had moved to University Drive "by then".  Just pointing out that they all (IIRC) had moved to University and didn't simply move directly from the square to the mall, in case there was any confusion.

No worries!