HOD BOWL

El Paso Eagle

Tickets purchased/distributed <> butts in seats.

ESPN seems to be going out of their way more than normal to avoid showing crowd shots. The field shots are super tight.  Even kickoffs only show the first few rows of the stands. 

This year seems to have been especially bad in these early games.  Unsustainable.

8 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Tickets purchased/distributed <> butts in seats.

ESPN seems to be going out of their way more than normal to avoid showing crowd shots. The field shots are super tight.  Even kickoffs only show the first few rows of the stands. 

This year seems to have been especially bad in these early games.  Unsustainable.

Doesn't help when almost all the G5 bowl games so far have sucked. Blowouts due to mismatches that could have been avoided. 

This is a boring game, and it is so quiet you could here if a waterboy farted. Personally, I'm glad their attendance blows. Serves them right for muscling C-USA out of the bowl, and not inviting North Texas. Even with this cold weather, North Texas vs. West Virginia still would have had a respectable crowd.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I was responding to Harry's post.  They will "claim" a crowd of 35-40,000.  From what I saw, less than 10,000 butts in seats.

Yeah. I was saying there was no way they could announce that. You could maybe fill three or four sections with the amount of people that were there. I belive announced was around 20k. 

7 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

This is a boring game, and it is so quiet you could here if a waterboy farted. Personally, I'm glad their attendance blows. Serves them right for muscling C-USA out of the bowl, and not inviting North Texas. Even with this cold weather, North Texas vs. West Virginia still would have had a respectable crowd.

A big part of it is both bands were small, and the guy who controls the stadium music is blaring it out, over the band's at every timeout. It has no feel of a college game. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Pinstripe Bowl, Hawaii Bowl, Bahama Bowl, Boise Bowl. There's 4 right there. The problem is that if they were to eliminate bowls, they would be sure to eliminate the ones that take G5 teams. 

I'd drop Bahamas in Year One and then look at average percent of capacity type of criteria to see who to drop the next 4-5 years after that.  I mean even dropping 5-6  Bowls, more than half the schools in the country who play D1 will be going to a Bowl, so I think most people wouldn't miss them.

I seriously used to watch at least parts of basically every Bowl game there was back in the day (and people THEN used to complain when it was only like twenty of them).  Even when it got upwards of 30 Bowls or more I tried to at least tune in for some of the game.  But now we're at 40+ and that just seems ridiculous, even for me.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

I will say that the HOD Bowl has to be the worst marketed bowl ever.  It is a bowl for a good cause and the only thing I saw indicating something was happening today was the U sign rolling around Reunion Tower last night.  They have worst marketing than SMU for a group trying to connect with the Dallas market and for a great cause to boot! 

The Frisco Bowl was nicely marketed but their walk up tickets were too darn expensive.  If they had a lower price than $40 I would have gone.  But the HOD needs some intense leadership and organizational change. 

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1