Grade The Mccasland Hire - End of 1st Non-Conf. Sch.

BillySee58

Grade The Mccasland Hire - After 1st Non-Conf. Sch.  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Mccasland Hire Grade

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D

This poll is closed to new votes

Sorry for the late reply but been busy. I said B-.

It's real hard to do these since you tend to compare to what we've had as basketball coaches. I won't rehash the points others have made, but we haven't had an A hire that I know of in the last 30+ years.

The coaching end is above average. They have a plan and they are trying to execute it. On that alone it's probably a B+. But I agree with @Cooley that the recruiting especially with as many spots as they had was underwhelming, so I went with B-.

Interestingly it's similar to Football. Doing more with less, but until someone can coach and recruit we won't be making big waves.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

From the little I've seen he looks like a fiery guy. Screaming and getting in guys faces might work early but after awhile you start to tune him out. Maybe part of the reason why his teams struggle in the second half of the season. 

Still taking the dumpster fire of a team to being mediocre deserves at least a C+.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Many guys end up over-coaching; where the players aren’t as comfortable anymore with their initial roles. This became evident with the frequent substitutions. We had several close games because the staff coached each possession. The kids, in most cases, have to be free to play instinctly and not restricted. The only kid that was/is not restricted is AJ Lawson and he is the main kid that needs to be restricted.

My concern for next year is that the roster appears to already be set. The only available scholarship will go to Draper. The Russian kid appears to be another finesse big outside shooter. This teams needs a consistent down low post game to help the outside shooters. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

9 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

From the little I've seen he looks like a fiery guy. Screaming and getting in guys faces might work early but after awhile you start to tune him out. Maybe part of the reason why his teams struggle in the second half of the season. 

Still taking the dumpster fire of a team to being mediocre deserves at least a C+.

I gave him an A and I think the early results merited that.  It is now in C range.  The question is the last game an aberration or has this team just quit.  

I agree with your point, if his early success is based on that intense level coaching that can't be sustained than NT didn't make the hire I thought they did.  Another problem I think the rest of the conference has caught up with his game plans. 

I think he makes NT very easy to defend against.  The stall until about 8 seconds makes them very easy to defend.   The offense seems to be get Smart a shot or let Woolridge or Lawson drive to the basket.  Very predictable and only works when Smart is unstoppable.   Problem lately is that Smart's continuing foul issues.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Many guys end up over-coaching; where the players aren’t as comfortable anymore with their initial roles. This became evident with the frequent substitutions. We had several close games because the staff coached each possession. The kids, in most cases, have to be free to play instinctly and not restricted. The only kid that was/is not restricted is AJ Lawson and he is the main kid that needs to be restricted.

My concern for next year is that the roster appears to already be set. The only available scholarship will go to Draper. The Russian kid appears to be another finesse big outside shooter. This teams needs a consistent down low post game to help the outside shooters. 

I’m hoping Draper stays as a walk on and we manage to move on from Fuller. We need those two scholarships to sure up the post and get some longer/more athletic defenders. If we keep Fuller and put Draper on scholarship I do not expect a large improvement next season. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

I’m hoping Draper stays as a walk on and we manage to move on from Fuller. We need those two scholarships to sure up the post and get some longer/more athletic defenders. If we keep Fuller and put Draper on scholarship I do not expect a large improvement next season. 

No way Draper should not be offered a scholarship.  I don't know McCasland's tactics, but overwhelmingly these days players that are not contributors or let go.   Fuller and Miller are very vulnerable.  

• Upvote 1

I kind of had a feeling that we might end the season in a rough patch like he did as ASU.  Aston did here too if i remember, and she had a similar sort of fiery attitude.

I still think Mac has done a great job (look what he walked in to!)- but I believe Year 2 will really be the test.

• Lovely Take 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

No way Draper should not be offered a scholarship.  I don't know McCasland's tactics, but overwhelmingly these days players that are not contributors or let go.   Fuller and Miller are very vulnerable.  

I’m confused on Miller. From all the pre-season magazines and articles I read he was our top JUCO recruit. He hasn’t shown me much, but I have to assume there is something there. Since he will be a senior I feel more comfortable keeping him that Fuller.

Draper has definitely earned his spot on the team, but if he has the means to stay on without a scholarship I would love to see us get bigger and better on the post. I mean no slight to Draper, but the post needs to be addressed this off season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I’m confused on Miller. From all the pre-season magazines and articles I read he was our top JUCO recruit. He hasn’t shown me much, but I have to assume there is something there. Since he will be a senior I feel more comfortable keeping him that Fuller.

Draper has definitely earned his spot on the team, but if he has the means to stay on without a scholarship I would love to see us get bigger and better on the post. I mean no slight to Draper, but the post needs to be addressed this off season. 

I am not advocating not renewing the ship of anyone.  I just observed that a lot of programs turnover players very quickly if they think they can recruit better players.  

I also said that Draper should be offered a ship, while I highly doubt he would turn it down; it should be his choice.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Lovely Take 1

50 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I don't know where you are getting this from. Do you remember what publication(s) you saw that from? Smart and Duffy had better offer lists and were rated higher from what I saw.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Cooley said:

My concern for next year is that the roster appears to already be set. The only available scholarship will go to Draper.

That's my concern too. Way too many minus offensive players out there right now. And those guys aren't giving us nearly good enough defensive play to offset their offensive shortcomings. 

I like to think Gibson and Tikhonenko will give us big boosts, but they'll also be Redshirt Freshmen. This team needs a stud JUCO or grad transfer.

I would look into Damiyne Durham if he decides to grad transfer, as he signed at Baylor when Mccasland was there and would give another perimeter scoring option on the wing that we don't have outside of Smart right now.

If we could upgrade our post play by as much, then sure. But I'm fine going into next year with Tikhonenko, J Simmons, and Holston at the 4 and Z Simmons and Arikawe at the 5, if our perimeter play is better.

3 hours ago, Cooley said:

The Russian kid appears to be another finesse big outside shooter. This teams needs a consistent down low post game to help the outside shooters. 

Another? We don't have finesse big outside shooters unless you count Temara, who hasn't been much of a shooter, and is gone after this year anyways. It's pretty clear Mccasland wants a stretch 4 more than a traditional 4. Tikhonenko appears to be a legit stretch 4, and I think that can really help this offense out given how bad our offensive production has been at the 4 this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

I don't know where you are getting this from. Do you remember what publication(s) you saw that from? Smart and Duffy had better offer lists and were rated higher from what I saw.

Lindys, street and smith, and athlon. Duffy wasn’t listed but a couple spots behind I believe. Maybe I am getting them mixed up and Miller was a couple spots behind Duffy, but both were top 50. 

I have those Magazines at work right now but here is one link. No coach thought that Miller wouldn’t contribute immediately. His injury is the only thing I could think that would have held him back, but I believe he is 100% now. 

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/2017jucotop100

You can look up others but I don’t have the time. I just know every recruiting service had him our top JUCO recruit and at least two assistant coaches/ head of basketball operations on the team believed he would be an impact player. Essentially Smart is doing what it was thought Miller would do. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Duffy was supposed to be a big pickup.  Looks like he may have been damaged goods.Tope has been a disappointment.  Miller is non existent.  Smart has been huge.  Benford’s recruits have performed admirably with some exceptions like Fuller.

4 hours ago, CMJ said:

I kind of had a feeling that we might end the season in a rough patch like he did as ASU.  Aston did here too if i remember, and she had a similar sort of fiery attitude.

I still think Mac has done a great job (look what he walked in to!)- but I believe Year 2 will really be the test.

He walked into the best possible situation a coach can walk in to. This was not a final four level program so no pressure to sustain it. Many returning players to build upon. Ended up with 7 scholarships to give. Hired early enough to get his own guys. And, an extremely low bar from years of losing. He was even afforded an opportunity to pad the record early with several cream puff schools at home. 

I hope we continue to gradually improve over the next few years. He should, however, rightfully feel more pressure going forward especially since we had to pay a buyout fee for his services. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

That's my concern too. Way too many minus offensive players out there right now. And those guys aren't giving us nearly good enough defensive play to offset their offensive shortcomings. 

I like to think Gibson and Tikhonenko will give us big boosts, but they'll also be Redshirt Freshmen. This team needs a stud JUCO or grad transfer.

I would look into Damiyne Durham if he decides to grad transfer, as he signed at Baylor when Mccasland was there and would give another perimeter scoring option on the wing that we don't have outside of Smart right now.

If we could upgrade our post play by as much, then sure. But I'm fine going into next year with Tikhonenko, J Simmons, and Holston at the 4 and Z Simmons and Arikawe at the 5, if our perimeter play is better.

Another? We don't have finesse big outside shooters unless you count Temara, who hasn't been much of a shooter, and is gone after this year anyways. It's pretty clear Mccasland wants a stretch 4 more than a traditional 4. Tikhonenko appears to be a legit stretch 4, and I think that can really help this offense out given how bad our offensive production has been at the 4 this year.

I would hate to see the same front court next year but I’m afraid we are already set there. A stretch 4 is great if you have the down low presence it should benefit. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, Cooley said:

I couldn't disagree with this take more. Ryan Wooldridge and Smart by FAR have the most offensive freedom. I actually think he harder on AJ than anyone else on the team.

Edited by meangreenJW
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

APR made the days of running off every non-contributor a thing of the past. And I remember reading last year, our MBB is the lowest of any UNT sport. 

I say B to B+. I would have went A- before the last skid. The team plays much harder. I think they are a good defensive team. Not great but good. Probably the most impressive thing they do is rebounding. We aren't a big team but have won the rebounding battle more often than not. 

Playing possession basketball (holding the ball and running plays later in the clock) isn't my favorite style. And I think it is a reason every game is close. It makes momentum (and runs) limited. It does that for both teams. If you watched our first two or three games we didn't play that way. It seems like that adjustment happened after we lost to UT-RGV. I don't know how Mac has coached in the past, but I'm hopeful that with another year for recruiting and coaching, the team will play more freely.

Recruiting wise it's hard to evaluate right now. There are some obvious good gets but some that haven't hardly contributed. 

In terms of coaching style, I like that he coaches hard. I think he could stand to be a bit more encouraging. I'm not as concerned as some of you are with a late season issue. I don't know what happened at ASU but I do know he won a junior college national championship and played for another and went to two Division II elite 8s. I think he's demonstrated he can coach teams that finish.

Summing it up, we are probably about where I thought heading into the season but not where I thought we'd be halfway through conference season. I thought 18 plus was possible then. But with what we have back and the way GM coaches, I think we'll win 20 next year. 

One other note, GM's first year is eerily similar to SL's. SL was 5-7 in the regular season. SL was 9-5 in year two, I expect a similar winning percentage for MBB in year 2. I think the two situations were almost identical. Football has better facilities and had a successful season more recently (2013). Basketball has better tradition. Just an interesting note. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

Completely disagree on this being a great situation to come in to Cooley.  Sure he had no expectations, but he also didn't have much to sell or work with.  I think a .500 season is about the extent of my hopes coming into this year.

Disagree with your disagree.  Benford was not HC material, but he was a very good recruiter.  With the big exception of Smart, the success of this years team is almost entirely based on Benford recruits.

So I agree with the posters that believe McCasland came into a very good situation.   He had a base of much better players than any coach could expect from a team with such a bad record.  Plus he had the opportunity to bring in a great number of his own players.    A few of us questioned his reliance on basically bringing in the ASU recruiting class.    

I don't disagree with you and many others that think that his overall record is good if you measure it based on pre-season expectations.   The problem is that the team is struggling at the most important time of the year and it is much more disappointing when viewed in light of the team's early success. 

I have not seen anyone with any credibility on this board saying McCasland was a bad hire.   The year end finish at this point is just raising doubts that didn't exist a mere two weeks ago. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1