'18 4* JUCO DT Teair Tart-Spencer (East Mississippi CC) FIU Signee

GMG_Dallas

Posting this because FIU signed their second 4 star Juco DT yesterday. He picked FIU over Alabama, Mississippi State, Ohio State, Arkansas, and Kentucky. 247 still has him crystal balled to Alabama at 100% so for whatever reason they had him going to Bama.

He's 6'4'' 295 lbs. Along with 4 star Tayland Humphrey who stands at 6'5'' and 350 lbs who also signed yesterday, this might have just become the team to beat in the east if not all of CUSA next year...

https://247sports.com/player/teair-tart-spencer-88417

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

I think the point that needs to be made here is that FAU and FIU are starting to be the programs that C-USA projected them to be.  I know many questioned when these programs were added as being deserving.  Now they appear to be powerhouses not just in C-USA but in G5.  It is a good thing for the conference.  Also our bowl performance as a whole has been on the upswing.

6 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

Are these guys mid-year transfers?  One possibility could be that grades are an issue and those bigger schools backed off and FIU was willing to take the risk, just a guess though.

My understanding is we got pretty burned last year with two of our top juco recruits not ending up qualifying and they are very hesitant to let that happen again.  Personally I think you have to take some calculated risks to land the big fish but I also can appreciate their concern after what happened last year.

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Sorry, but with Davis leading the recruiting efforts, something just doesn't seem right.  FIU has been an afterthought for years and all of a sudden these 4* players are heading there over offers to play at a P5?  Hmmmm

Wonder if people of this board would be so skeptical of us like they have been of UTSA and FIU if we were getting similar recruits as them.

14 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Wonder if people of this board would be so skeptical of us like they have been of UTSA and FIU if we were getting similar recruits as them.

I would think people would think about it, but none of the coaches have any real recruiting trouble or been around any trouble outside of Langston, I believe.. 

But Davis and Wilson have been placed that have had some questions

57 minutes ago, Harry said:

My understanding is we got pretty burned last year with two of our top juco recruits not ending up qualifying and they are very hesitant to let that happen again.  Personally I think you have to take some calculated risks to land the big fish but I also can appreciate their concern after what happened last year.

I think you are allowed to oversign a certain number of guys each year.  I don't think it would be a terrible idea sign a few of these guys each year just for the publicity and perception that recruiting is improving.  Most people don't follow up, but I have gone back and looked and some of our CUSA peers and there are multiple recruits each year that are not making it to campus.  Of course, we only hear about the fact that they signed some 3/4 star player and assume that we are getting left behind.

East Mississippi CC is the school that just about all SEC teams, send their prospective student athletes to school, to help the athlete to learn how to read and write, and to make grades high enough to qualify!

I would bet that Saban is really pissed that these two big DT's jumped ship from Bama to join Butch Davis at FIU!

What the heck does Davis have to offer to sway away players from Bama, Auburn, Mississippi, Miss St, SC, and  Kentucky?

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Considering Davis has led programs to probation or sanctions, I think the comment is justified.

3 hours ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

East Mississippi CC is the school that just about all SEC teams, send their prospective student athletes to school, to help the athlete to learn how to read and write, and to make grades high enough to qualify!

I would bet that Saban is really pissed that these two big DT's jumped ship from Bama to join Butch Davis at FIU!

What the heck does Davis have to offer to sway away players from Bama, Auburn, Mississippi, Miss St, SC, and  Kentucky?

Success from his Miami days with the results of the team and the talent HRC helped turn out, along with coaching in the NFL as a DC and HC.. among other things..

Even if he is doing some shady things, FIU hopes he can have an impact that will make it worth it.. Baylor was down this year but look At what Briles did for Baylor.. Increase enrollment, new stadium, millions more in donations, etc.. 

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Considering Davis has led programs to probation or sanctions, I think the comment is justified.

Programs is incorrect. He didn't lead Miami to probation or sanctions. The violations the NCAA found committed by Miami occurred during Dennis Erickson's tenure. Davis was forced to deal with the postseason ban and scholarship reduction shortly after accepting the job, but he didn't lead the program to those issues.

At North Carolina, the issue was academic fraud and players receiving improper benefits related to them having illegal contact with agents. Not recruiting violations. Per the Wikipedia page on the NC football scandal, "the NCAA did not find anything extending to lack of institutional control, explaining that the university 'educated its tutors regarding academic improprieties and its coaches regarding outside athletically related income...self-discovered the academic fraud and took decisive action...cooperated fully, is not a repeat violator and...exhibited appropriate control over its athletics program.'"

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView/report?id=102358

Despite that, you can definitely say that his players cheating and having illegal agent contact ultimately falls on him because he was the head coach, and I wouldn't bother arguing with you on that. But there were no wrongdoings found directly linked to him, and there were no actual recruiting violations. So I don't agree that the comment of yours is justified by his history.

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Even if he is doing some shady things, FIU hopes he can have an impact that will make it worth it.. Baylor was down this year but look At what Briles did for Baylor.. Increase enrollment, new stadium, millions more in donations, etc.. 

So far Baylor has a top 20 recruiting class this year so they'll be back to playing good football soon. Depending on the sanctions, it seems like teams are definitely able to bounce back from scandals quickly nowadays. Will be interesting to see if a G5 can do the same.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

So far Baylor has a top 20 recruiting class this year so they'll be back to playing good football soon. Depending on the sanctions, it seems like teams are definitely able to bounce back from scandals quickly nowadays. Will be interesting to see if a G5 can do the same.

They had a top 15 class I believe last year as well

15 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I don't really know much about the FIU coaches situation, but I know there has been rumors about Wilson since he did so well recruiting in the SEC.

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I don't really know much about the FIU coaches situation, but I know there has been rumors about Wilson since he did so well recruiting in the SEC.

I would certainly be skeptical if multiple 4 star kids with 15-20 offers chose us.  But I'd welcome them with wide open arms! Lol