MGN: 18 Dec NSD

aztecskin

Just a note -- kind of related:

UTSA had a "better" class than we did but take McGowan - a 3* WR that we did not offer - as an example of how it does not necessarily mean much on its face.

McGowan had offers from Army and Texas St. Those are two programs whose passing offenses I do not trust. If we did not offer him, then I trust the staff that helped Turner Smiley and Mike Lawrence improve, identified Tyler Wilson, Jaelon Darden, and Jalen Guyton over 1) a program with an anemic offense (UTSA) 2) another program with an anemic offense (TXST), and 3) an option team. 

Stars do matter but at this level the stars do not mean the same thing as they do as the ones Georgia and Alabama are fighting over. 

It is important to remember a couple of things about UTSA in particular: they have a Scout site and a Rivals site, so their guys are going to get a few more reviews than ours. So guys like DeAndre Torrey are unrated on Rivals and Josh Sa'afi is unrated on both. 

These are points that @BillySee58 has made previously but it is always good to be reminded of it on NSDs. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aztecskin said:

It is important to remember a couple of things about UTSA in particular: they have a Scout site and a Rivals site, so their guys are going to get a few more reviews than ours.

Do we not have a Scout, or Rivals sight?  I guess I don’t really understand what this means. Should we have those sites?  Sorry if this seems like a silly question.  

8 hours ago, Felozano said:

Do we not have a Scout, or Rivals sight?  I guess I don’t really understand what this means. Should we have those sites?  Sorry if this seems like a silly question.  

They're the other two main recruiting sites outside of 24/7.

UTSA has both, meaning they have "objective" guys rating their commits. IE, he committed to UTSA? He's a 3 star easy. Those ratings then go towards their 24/7 composite score, effectively raising all the recruits ratings.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

They're the other two main recruiting sites outside of 24/7.

UTSA has both, meaning they have "objective" guys rating their commits. IE, he committed to UTSA? He's a 3 star easy. Those ratings then go towards their 24/7 composite score, effectively raising all the recruits ratings.

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

No we don't and not really needed.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks, guys. Appreciate it.   

This on paper is the best class NT has signed since early Dodge.   There are wins over peer teams, which has been rare at NT for too long.  NT still has a long way to go, and I still don't understand being substantially behind UTSA, La Tech, WKU and others.  Littrell and company have shown they have a much better eye for talent than McCarney and Dodge.   So I doubt there are many complete misses signed.

There also is still time to make a big splash with some transfers and maybe some high schoolers that didn't get that big P5 offer. 

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

This on paper is the best class NT has signed since early Dodge.   There are wins over peer teams, which has been rare at NT for too long.  NT still has a long way to go, and I still don't understand being substantially behind UTSA, La Tech, WKU and others.  Littrell and company have shown they have a much better eye for talent than McCarney and Dodge.   So I doubt there are many complete misses signed.

There also is still time to make a big splash with some transfers and maybe some high schoolers that didn't get that big P5 offer. 

True. I really want to see some Juco/Grad Transfer OLine help. I can't begin to imagine what Fine will do with more than .5 seconds to read the field

• Upvote 4

Looked at Rivals this morning.

We finished 6th in CUSA

We finished 30th in G5’s (not including BYU)

We finished 95th overall.

We finished 10th in Texas, ahead of Rice and UTEP. 

Again, until it’s shown differently, recruiting here against other schools is still a tough sell for the TX HS Coach, Parent, and recruit.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

20 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

We finished 10th in Texas, ahead of Rice and UTEP.

Can't be behind UTEP... they didn't sign a single player yet. Their HC is still coaching at Kansas State until the bowl game and Canales is handling recruiting basically alone. Why do I have the feeling this hire is not gonna end well for UTEP?

• Haha 1