Frisco Bowl

FirefightnRick

24 minutes ago, ipd054 said:

I am just going to leave this here:

Frisco Bowl Attendance:  14,419

New Orleans Bowl Attendance: 24,904

That is 10,485 more tickets sold....

Frisco Bowl.JPG

That is just sad.  One team has a 30 minute drive and the other only has 4 hours. Ugh.  The stadium looked to be about 2/3 or maybe 3/4 full at its fullest so there were even less butts in seats. 

I saw where each team receives $100k for playing in this bowl.  Even a local team will lose money playing in this game.  Double ugh.

My dad used to say "misery loves company".   Maybe that is why I enjoyed seeing SMU get pounded even worse than we had.   Their players looked like they really did not want to be there and that was certainly true after the middle of the first quarter.   It couldn't happen to a more deserving group.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I think SMU performance was awful, but at least they have plenty of excuses.   To me even more damning is their lack of support at a bowl 22 miles from their campus.   They were actually happy to have sold out a 5000 allotment. 

How this team continues to beat NT in recruiting is a mystery to me. 

I'll give you a hint. M$ney

I blame @emmitt01 for making me waste 10 minutes of my life I will never get back by reading the PonyFans thread about the bowl.  One funny post was where someone was scorching the players for the way they were playing and why they didn't even have enough pride in the program to show up to the game.  

My first thought was that the players probably looked up in the stands and saw that about 1,000 smoo fans had braved the elements and ventured outside the 635 loop to the frozen tundra 'up North' and thought to themselves F this. 

They really should just shut the football program down and focus on soccer or fencing.  I bet those donors for the IPF are feeling pretty awesome right about now.

La tech fans should not be to over excited about winning over SMU.  SMU looks like a team that rather be eating a good pizza. Appear to have no interest in this game. Yes, lost coach, different group working with them. It's not really a feather in SMU's cap by beating a 6-6 C-USA team, prestige FOR SMU to be motivated is not there,  yes even though La Tech has beaten SMU in past years.  Likely players were looking forward to a better bowl match, however really, a better match or bowl was really not earned this season.  

And C-USA fans, winning most of your bowl games against weak opponents is not really all that much to get excited about. 

Edited by AAC Fan
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

10 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

That is just sad.  One team has a 30 minute drive and the other only has 4 hours. Ugh.  The stadium looked to be about 2/3 or maybe 3/4 full at its fullest so there were even less butts in seats. 

I saw where each team receives $100k for playing in this bowl.  Even a local team will lose money playing in this game.  Double ugh.

SMU fans did not show. They have\had little interest in this match.  No prestige to beat La Tech, the teams lack of "interest" or excitement also confirms this, oh well. I expect the bowl will survive.  There could have been worse matches for this bowl.  

• Downvote 5

28 minutes ago, AAC Fan said:

La tech fans should not be to over excited about winning over SMU.  SMU looks like a team that rather be eating a good pizza. Appear to have no interest in this game. Yes, lost coach, different group working with them. It's not really a feather in SMU's cap by beating a 6-6 C-USA team, prestige FOR SMU to be motivated is not there,  yes even though La Tech has beaten SMU in past years.  Likely players were looking forward to a better bowl match, however really, a better match or bowl was really not earned this season.  

And C-USA fans, winning most of your bowl games against weak opponents is not really all that much to get excited about. 

Good Lord, that was tough to read.  I though they had tougher entrance standards. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, AAC Fan said:

Typical AAC apologist.  The AAC is 1-9 in bowls against other G5 teams in bowl games over the last 4 years.  The secret is out, the AAC is not good.

If the AAC is lucky, SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane will shut down their football programs.  What a joke they are.

• Upvote 2

On 12/21/2017 at 8:59 PM, AAC Fan said:

And SMU wonders why people hate them. Telling the other team they should not be excited about a win over My Little Pony because they don't have the proper bloodlines to excite the Dead Hooker faithful is so condescending. And then to throw around comments like "prestige" is just hilarious.

The problem is that SMU has delusions of grandeur playing in a conference afflicted with the same condition. Once you realize you are just another G5 in just another G5 Conference with the support of a MAC cellar dweller, you will understand the real reason for your program's current place in the CFB pecking order. 

• Haha 2

On 12/21/2017 at 10:09 AM, TreeFiddy said:

NO paid 500k, which we split with the rest of the conference. After travel and all the associated expenditures do you think UNT made out like a bandit? I don't.

Personally I'd rather see us play in Frisco in front of a sold out stadium, which we've never done, then play in an empty stadium that looks embarrassing on TV.

The money is irrelevant considering it's split with everyone else.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1