Bad day for athletics fundraising

flyonthewall

How is it that people are down voting comments re: bonuses paid to AT & T employees, Comcast employees, etc?  Hello ... that $$ can make a big difference for a lot of workers around Christmastime.  I thought it was a very cool thing to do.  Thumbs up!  Yeah, yeah, I know ... this will likely earn some down votes for saying bonuses are a good thing.  LOL.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 9

7 minutes ago, vpackrats said:

How is it that people are down voting comments re: bonuses paid to AT & T employees, Comcast employees, etc?  Hello ... that $$ can make a big difference for a lot of workers around Christmastime.  I thought it was a very cool thing to do.  Thumbs up!  Yeah, yeah, I know ... this will likely earn some down votes for saying bonuses are a good thing.  LOL.

Hmm, may because they're making massive layoffs elsewhere, including here at home.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/att/2017/12/20/att-plans-lay-nearly-300-center-dallas-next-year

http://fox4kc.com/2017/12/20/hundreds-of-metro-att-employees-laid-off-just-before-christmas/

It should also be noted that those who are getting $1000 bonuses are getting that from union negotiations completely independent of the tax bill.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 10
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Hmm, may because they're making massive layoffs elsewhere, including here at home.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/att/2017/12/20/att-plans-lay-nearly-300-center-dallas-next-year

http://fox4kc.com/2017/12/20/hundreds-of-metro-att-employees-laid-off-just-before-christmas/

It should also be noted that those who are getting $1000 bonuses are getting that from union negotiations completely independent of the tax bill.

Yeah, it's a press move and an alignment/backing move more than it is an indication of this being some saving grace for the people of this country. Still working my way through the TCJA, so not trying to say it's great or awful as of yet, but you saying the bonuses are independent of the bill is correct.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Right. But the bonuses from the tax deal are above and beyond those negotiations. Many will actually get 2 checks. 

AT&T told CNBC the bonuses announced on Wednesday are above and beyond any existing agreements, which means some workers would get two $1,000 allocations: One with a new contract, and one when the tax reform bill is signed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/12/20/tax-reform-reaction-att-is-giving-bonuses-to-200000-employees.html

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

but you saying the bonuses are independent of the bill is correct.

It's actually INCORRECT

AT&T told CNBC the bonuses announced on Wednesday are above and beyond any existing agreements, which means some workers would get two $1,000 allocations: One with a new contract, and one when the tax reform bill is signed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/12/20/tax-reform-reaction-att-is-giving-bonuses-to-200000-employees.html

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

"So those that need to make ends meet will have to make some cuts. And those cuts will probably come from programs that aren’t revenue drivers like football and men’s basketball. We’ll be passed out in the floor from shock if coach salaries decrease accordingly to help schools pay the new tax. Instead, we’re bracing for future stories about athletic department cuts to other sports, especially at schools without large donor and alumni bases."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/new-tax-law-will-cost-college-athletic-departments-lots-money-185631171.html

• Upvote 3

Does anyone really believe that the federal government should be in the business of subsidizing luxury boxes or preferred seat licenses for college athletics?  The previous setup was done to exploit previous wording of the tax code.  It's not like it's some sort of natural law or it's been that way from the beginning of time.  The U.S. tax code is the most convoluted, inane creation in the history of the human race.  Give it some time and people will figure out a way to rework the various programs so they comply with the new statute.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Should this be moved to the Eagles Nest? It is becoming political tax issue.  I come here to get from it for a while anyway.  I rather argue uniforms, w-l records and O/C schedule.  I can watch CNBC or FBN for my tax information.

I do get what you are saying and plus-1d you.I just wish people would leave off the political side punches in one direction or the other or put them into another thread in the eagles nest.

However I do think it is fair to wonder how this does affect UNTs athletic finances, which I do feel is relevant here. For example this is likely to play directly into how much WB can/will offer SL in extension conversation. SL was likely to get offered more than a million with incentives and bonuses, so the tax will matter and WB sure needs to get his information straight before engaging in those talks. It might delay those talks, which is likely no biggie and more importantly it is likely to change amounts.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

Just now, outoftown said:

I do get what you are saying and plus-1d you.I just wish people would leave off the political side punches in one direction or the other or put them into another thread in the eagles nest.

However I do think it is fair to wonder how this does affect UNTs athletic finances, which I do feel is relevant here. For example this is likely to play directly into how much WB can/will offer SL in extension conversation. SL is likely to make more than a million, so the tax will matter and WB sure needs to get his information straight before engaging in those talks. It might delay those talks, which is likely no biggie.

I agree but the topic has been hijacked and left apogee.

• Downvote 4

3 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Right. But the bonuses from the tax deal are above and beyond those negotiations. Many will actually get 2 checks. 

ATT saving $2billion a year! Oh and there is that merger thing! Suck up ATT.

• Downvote 2

Man, I've been trying to read a lot on all sides to get my head around the changes that are still just trickling out because of the way this was passed, which was stupid, because gomeangreen.com had me covered the whole time. Thanks guys! I'm off to do some light financial planning in the VVIP if anyone would like to join me. @LoveMG is gonna share his top 5 investment plays of 2018 in the chat!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Quoner said:

@LoveMG is gonna share his top 5 investment plays of 2018 in the chat!

One word, plastics BitCoin.

This is a tough one folks.  It is very much something that affects Mean Green Football.  On the other hand it is also a political hot topic.

I'm going to give you you guys the benefit of the doubt.  In this holiday season, I am choosing to believe that we are mature enough to discuss the impacts of CFB fundraising without getting dragged into the weeds of partisan politics. 

Don't prove me wrong.  

31 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

One word, plastics BitCoin.

This is a tough one folks.  It is very much something that affects Mean Green Football.  On the other hand it is also a political hot topic.

I'm going to give you you guys the benefit of the doubt.  In this holiday season, I am choosing to believe that we are mature enough to discuss the impacts of CFB fundraising without getting dragged into the weeds of partisan politics. 

Don't prove me wrong.  

I am pretty sure that we have proven in the past that we can discuss topics like this with well thought out, fact based content.  Everything should be fine.

ETA: In before the lock.

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Nope.... not all of us are union represented.