2018 Early NSD official thread

TheReal_jayD

26 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Yes I believe this equally helps and hurts schools like North Texas. Like last year they could have possibly landed a few kids that flipped last minute. But I also see alot of kids Greg white and Nick Smith caliber that UNT benefitted from waiting and offers drying up. Going off the board today by settling and going ahead and signing 

I would argue that because Smith and White's spots were taken by other players of equal or greater caliber, there were just too many players for those spots anyways and somebody was going to be left out. It's not like those schools told White and Smith their offers were gone and they just left the schollys unused. My feeling is there will always be a few guys left out to dry, we just need be sure we're there for them when they need a place to play. 

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Lovely Take 1

17 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

This looks like the best class we have had in a while.  How do you guys rate it?

OFFENSE: 
QB: B+ - We got 2 dudes who can ball.   Still not sure what happened with Bean this year having to split time, but he's a player.
WR: B- - simply because, as of now, we only have 1.   That one guy is good enough though to merit a B-.
RB: B+ - Torrey seems to be the kind of guy that will fit in just fine in the Air Raid.  Need a guy to step in and contribute quickly as we already have a lot of good young depth at RB.
TE/HB: N/A - wonder if we'll take one.   I thought I saw somewhere Littrell mentioned wanting a Hback.
OL: D - only 2 guys so far who were both lightly recruited, to say it nicely.

DEFENSE:
DL: B- - Didn't find a NG yet, so if English or Tauaalo go down to injury, we're screwed here.  The DE's look to be contributors though!
LB: C+ - I think Nixon is flying under the radar here, he could be huge.  Hunt... I dunno, it looks like he didn't do as well his Sr year.  Thinking Sa'afi should be listed here instead of at DL since he looks to be a JACK in Reff's scheme.
CB: N/A - Going to need someone here in case Brooks can't get it together.
S: A+ - Home runs here (including the Nickel, KD Davis, even though he's listed as a LB)!

Moving forward:
Glaring needs at OL & CB.  Need 1 more LB & WR, if possible.    Would love a big run-stuffing Nose Guard as well.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I hope so.   I hope White can step right in for Smiley after being in the system for a year.
Would be nice to see Ogunmakin step in for Quinton Jackson, but he may redshirt.

But I'm assuming both of those guys are outside guys, and I don't really see either one beating out Guyton/Bussey for their starting jobs next year.

Jackson I believe will be a SR next year.. Would think Rico and Guyton start, Jackson and White are the first back up outside.. 

If White RSed, I would expect the same with Austin.. 

52 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

This looks like the best class we have had in a while.  How do you guys rate it?

Reminds me somewhat of last years class.. in terms of adding a few exciting players (Gibbs, Davis, Williams) who could be Day 1 players for us and hopefully in a larger role than what Sanders, Davis has.. 

the JUCOs DL don’t seem like sexy pickups and neither do the OL. The QBs I’m excited about, and the WR and the RB I just wonder how it’s going to work with all the RBs (Smith, Johnson, Torrey, Siggers, Wyche).. 

with the last few spots we have, we need to add to either the LBs, CBs, or DL. 

I do agree we need to add an NG, just someone who can eat up a gap or 2 on a run play. 

I’m very excited about the potential of Nixon as well. Nixon, Hunt, Davis all looked like solid tacklers and that is something we need on this defense, we give up to many broken tackles it seems.

Gradewise- I would give it a B.. but with these last 4-5 spots it would be great to see them add 2/3 more 3* players and hopefully Day1 starters

Edited by BTG_Fan1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

LB: C+ - I think Nixon is flying under the radar here, he could be huge.  Hunt... I dunno, it looks like he didn't do as well his Sr year.  Thinking Sa'afi should be listed here instead of at DL since he looks to be a JACK in Reff's scheme.

Sa'afi is up to 270lbs.  I would be shocked if he stays at that weight and plays the JACK position.

• Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, Sig381 said:

Maybe for north Texas is the best class but national ranked 100 will not keep us competitive . We have a long way

Kind of made me wonder where each G 5 conference's best recruiting class stands nationally so far.

Sun Belt: Arkansas State. National ranking: 87.

19 commits, average rating: 79.99, total score: 124.66.

C-USA: Western Kentucky. National ranking: 69.

23 commits, average rating: 81.48, total score: 150.13.

MAC: Western Michigan. National ranking: 62.

20 commits, average rating: 82.64, total score: 162.45.

Mountain West: Boise State. National ranking: 60.

18 commits, average rating: 83.72, total score: 164.97.

AAC: Cincinnati. National ranking: 45.

21 commits, average rating: 84.40, total score: 181.54.

We would just barely be ranked 6th in the Sun belt, 5th in the MAC,  7th in the mountain West, and last in the AAC. As far as G5s go, we're right around the middle of every conference but one. We've made progress over previous years but yes, it needs to keep getting better.

• Thanks 1